Thread: P2096: Need help diagnosing this code

My Cars
    03 Z4

P2096: Need help diagnosing this code

Hey guys, I'm new top the forum and wondering if I can get some help from any seasoned BMW technicians out there (or anyone that had this code)

2003 BMW Z4 2.5i M54 engine.
    67k miles

Long story short, I purchased ebay headers and installed them. Now it is time for smog inspection : and I had a P0420 code.

Well, I purchased a universal o2 sim (http://o2sim.com/) for $40. After installing, I now get a P2096 code and that's the only code I get.

After sim install, b1s2 and b2s2 is reading at a constant .4v. It took almost 250miles for 7 out of 8 monitors to set. As soon as the o2 moniter sets, I get the p2096 code. I cleaned the MAF, checked DISA flap and checked for leaks in the intake.

One of my o2 sensors were loose in the bung and I thought that mightve been it but light came on after I tightened it. The P2096 code is "pending" only after a few miles after resetting the light.

Has anyone else had a problem like this or had any experience with this o2 sim?

My Cars
    z3
    Isn't P0420 a catalytic converter code? Did you delete the cats?

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    03 Z4
    yes, ebay headers