Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BMW M4 Jumps The Median Strip After Show-Off Driver Loses Control: Video

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    The reasons are clear.

Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    1991 325i
    Thanks Obama.
    1991 BMW 325i(Current Daily) (S52)
    I have carburetors, and I'm not afraid to use them!
    There are always other fish (engines) in the sea (Craigslist)
    Life is about enjoying the engine you are sitting behind.

My Cars
    z3
    I DIDN'T VOTE FOR THIS!!!

(or at all )

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    BMW M3
    Even if someone tries to do something like this in purpose it will be very hard to make the car jump that high and hit the tarmac at such a short distance and low speed.

My Cars
    EuroS50B30,e83,Frontier
    2015 BMW M4 reverses over boulevard!: http://youtu.be/BVDCZ18BmHI
    "There are bold drivers and there are old drivers, but there are no bold, old drivers."

My Cars
    2015 X1 & 2000 M5
    so that's what happens when you put hydraulics on a m4

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    This guy will be famous...
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    E30 (Delores), W123
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post

Ouch.

Jesus.

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe

My Cars
    Last one...

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53,
    Cant wait for him go complain to BMW and try tiger his suspension replaced. Excuse it feels different. As£ hat!
    2003 X5 4.6is - for sale
    2006 X5 L83 5.3 6l80 swapped in progress - for sale
    1999 528i 5.7L 4l60e swapped w/ 31 spline 8.8 cobra diff - for sale
    2007 ZX-10r - sold
    1987 R-10 SWB L83 5.3L 6L80e swapped
    www.87chevy.com

My Cars
    turbo m3, Z4M, M5,
    Yeah even if you panic break as soon as rear came out you would most likely get away without hitting the curb and just spin.... This guy is full of it. Even armatures would look down on such driving.

My Cars
    M3, 850i, E30T, E55T
    Nothing good can happen when you brake mid-slide...

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    The driver says;

"Hey guys,

It was my car that was involved and a mistake was made. There were no intentions of doing anything out of the norm. In fact, you'll notice in the video that the car was going very slowly in front of the crowd. This was intentional because we've all watched too many YouTube videos of this sort of thing happening and wanted to make sure that nobody would get hurt should anything unexpected happen. Once the car was past the crowd the accelerator was pushed in a straight-line as I have done many times in the past when the rear snapped violently. The car was going ~30mph at that time. The car has been driven for 4700 miles and has been driven with DSC off many times including in the rain and never has the car snapped so violently just from accelerating. I chalk it up to several factors including cold temps (low 40s), cold tires and incorrect psi (more on that later) and of course driver error. More judicious use of the throttle should have been exercised. MDM mode was not used because MDM is too quick to intervene and cuts power prematurely (or maybe not).

Usually when the rear breaks loose, it does so progressively and steering correction will suffice. However, you can see in the video that the front tires are turned slightly to the right indicating opposite lock was put on the steering trying to prevent the car from doing a complete 180 however there wasn't enough real estate to counter how violently it snapped - though admittedty the gravity of the snap required immediate full oppo lock which was misread. I'm not sure why some are saying that no
    steering input was made because it was - one could argue it should have been sooner but again usually a little wiggle just takes small steering input and power through not a full-on immediate opposite lock as was needed in such a big snap - to me it actually seemed like it was happening in slow-mo although the vid makes it seem like it happened so fast. As the car started to correct it became apparent that there was no way out except over the curb which is where I put on the brakes and tried to straightline the curb as much as possible to avoid hitting the curb at an angle which would cause a lot of damage and potentiality flip/roll the car.6

I've driven many high hp rwd cars including vipers, porsches, corvettes, and formula and I've graduated from formula racing schools and have years of training in advanced car control and plenty of track time. Heck I remember day one of Formula school, half of the first day was spent on the skid pad learning how to keep a car from spinning if you lose traction. Maybe I need a refresher since it's been awhile and I've been driving AWD Audis for the past few years. Some of those other RWD cars I mentioned will snap fiercely and you have to be on extremely high alert, however my experience with the M4 has been that it tends to not snap so viciously in a straight line - but this time I was wrong. I would caution anyone thinking that it can't happen to them (count me as previously one of those) that anyone can make a mistake. I'm thankful that nobody was injured from such a mistake. Surprisingly, the car seems to be driving just fine with the only damage being the right plastic guard underneath the bumper which can be seen in the video. Surprising I know. 7

I mentioned earlier that I had incorrect PSI - let me explain. My PSI was low, so I inflated it a bit with a pump with an analog tire guage which of course is very imprecise compared to a digital gauge. I noticed that my right tire pressure was 1.5psi off of my left when viewing the PSI from the BMW onboard digital gauge (you can only do this while driving). However, as my car had been pulling to the right from day 1 of delivery (there's a big thread of many complaining about that on these forums). Miraculously, the car drifted to the right to a lesser extent with the right tire PSI being slightly higher than the left and so I was playing around with the idea of keeping it that way for a short time- however I knew that I needed to put the PSI equally across both tires but I just failed to do that before going to the meet. I have no idea if unequal PSI left to right contributed to the right rear spinning so differently than the left. 8

Anyways, I know I'll be ridiculed and called an idiot (and rightfully so) but I think many of you also know that I didn't do anything intentionally out of the ordinary or unsafe. I'm not sure I was even trying to show off as acceleration happened when the car was past the crowd and it's not like a powerslide or burnout or anything of that sort occurred. 9

I also think the M4 is a fine car and I have no complaints about the amount of power or torque or tire width or grip or anything. In fact, the whole reason I got the M4 is because it's not AWD and I like the rear moving around a bit. Mistakes happen and I've learned a lesson - and from now on will keep DSC on when driving around because there's too much at stake to make a mistake while driving - no matter how good or bad of a driver you are. Thanks for hearing me out. It certainly has been a humbling experience."

what a load of crap! I know geriatrics with swifter reflexes.
    How about? "I was fooling around and quickly got in over my head"?
    Contrary to his last statement he's not been humbled by this. Until this stooge learns his limitations he is a menace to himself and those he shares the road with.
    Junkyards(and cemeteries)are full of cars previously driven by fools like this.
    Last edited by ross1; 01-08-2015 at 08:40 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2013 X5 35i M-Sport
    Damn Ross- when I first started reading that I actually thought you were the driver and decided to post here.

VRSF CP & DP | BMS Intake | MHD 2+ Tune | BavSound Stage 1 | 20% Tint
    Contact me for module coding/ECU resets

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Quote Originally Posted by ryansbmw View Post
    damn ross- when i first started reading that i actually thought you were the driver and decided to post here.
    +1 :d
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    E30 (Delores), W123
    Meh... In defense of the driver:

1) He wasn't actually being reckless or stupid. Yes, he lost control, and did the wrong thing at the pivotal moment. But it wasn't like he was hot-dogging going 120 on a public road. We all get on the gas on corners, we all like a little tail wagging; this happened to be a freak moment caught on camera

2) He's got a beautiful car that 90% of this forum (including myself) couldn't afford. Quit being haters, quit being jealous. I'd bet the majority of the forum trolls on here saying he doesn't deserve this car haven't driven a 400hp car themselves.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by KevRC4130 View Post
    He's got a beautiful car that 90% of this forum (including myself) couldn't afford. Quit being haters, quit being jealous. I'd bet the majority of the forum trolls on here saying he doesn't deserve this car haven't driven a 400hp car themselves.
    I don't really think I'm trolling in here ...I've owned a 400hp car.

Maybe that's why I'm not trolling in this thread. Maybe that was your point. Who knows. Life is a mystery.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    EuroS50B30,e83,Frontier
    lol At quit being haters comment. The reply's he has given show that he has learned nothing and he will probably put more people at risk.

I do hoon around a bit sometimes yes, but I make sure I'm in a desolate place where if I screw up royally the only person I put at risk is myself. If he had kicked the car out the other direction he would have plowed through a group of bystanders. Reckless and stupid IMO.
    Last edited by cdmbmw; 01-09-2015 at 05:15 PM.
    "There are bold drivers and there are old drivers, but there are no bold, old drivers."

My Cars
    We all...
    I've never gotten 3 wheels off the ground before. I've never jumped a median strip. I've never wiped out...except in an autocross setting.

I'm one of those killjoys that think if you're gonna do stupid stuff you should be OFF the street. And it doesn't matter how much your car cost because chances are, you could kill someone with pretty much any car.
    Last edited by montaillou; 01-09-2015 at 05:08 PM.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Meh... In defense of the driver:

1) He wasn't actually being reckless or stupid. Yes, he lost control, and did the wrong thing at the pivotal moment. But it wasn't like he was hot-dogging going 120 on a public road. We all get on the gas on corners, we all like a little tail wagging; this happened to be a freak moment caught on camera

2) He's got a beautiful car that 90% of this forum (including myself) couldn't afford. Quit being haters, quit being jealous. I'd bet the majority of the forum trolls on here saying he doesn't deserve this car haven't driven a 400hp car themselves.

Defend a fool if you like.

1). Something tells me he tried, and succeeded, to provoke a little tail wagging as you call it. Apparently Ricky race car missed the lesson about correcting a slide. As for 'we all", speak for yourself.
    2). I don't envy him or his car.

Hater? Troll? Just called it as I see it.

The bigger laugh is his pathetic explanation. I would have not said another word without it. An ounce of humility would have served him well.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    11 335i, 01 740i Sport
    Meh... In defense of the driver: 1) He wasn't actually being reckless or stupid. Yes, he lost control, and did the wrong thing at the pivotal moment. But it wasn't like he was hot-dogging going 120 on a public road. We all get on the gas on corners, we all like a little tail wagging; this happened to be a freak moment caught on camera 2) He's got a beautiful car that 90% of this forum (including myself) couldn't afford. Quit being haters, quit being jealous. I'd bet the majority of the forum trolls on here saying he doesn't deserve this car haven't driven a 400hp car themselves.
    Umm he absolutely was being reckless or at a minimum careless, both hefty citations. If a cop was there that'd be exhibition and reckless driving tickets in a heartbeat. Lol at the 'no laws were broken' comment.
    2011 335i XDrive Coupe
    2001 740i Sport

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53,
    What if he wrecked into a car of a single mother and child and killed someone. And then He found out earlier that the babys dad was killed by an asphole leaving a car show
    2003 X5 4.6is - for sale
    2006 X5 L83 5.3 6l80 swapped in progress - for sale
    1999 528i 5.7L 4l60e swapped w/ 31 spline 8.8 cobra diff - for sale
    2007 ZX-10r - sold
    1987 R-10 SWB L83 5.3L 6L80e swapped
    www.87chevy.com

My Cars
    1987 M6
    I'll chime in on this one. It looks to me like he relies heavily on traction control.

In other words, he doesn't normally drive the car himself and normally relies on the electronic nannies to keep him in one piece. So even though the dumbshit turned off TC, he still expected the car to save his ass.

I have a lot of hobbies and interests, but one thing is utterly consistent across any performance activity. You will perform as you practice. This asshat looks like living proof (or maybe a concrete, cautionary tale?) of that statement to me.

Jose
    Last edited by DaHose; 01-10-2015 at 03:46 AM.
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I think his stunt didn't add a lot of drama or action and style. Should've called in the professional. Ala! Mr. Clive Owen.

Just saying ....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast