Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BMW M4 Jumps The Median Strip After Show-Off Driver Loses Control: Video

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is

BMW M4 Jumps The Median Strip After Show-Off Driver Loses Control: Video

VANOS kicked in, yo!

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-control-video

How is that even possible? He was merely going 20mph... I mean if you can afford an M4, then spend few bucks on a car control sessions at your local track...

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    He didn't even try to correct it, just lifted made things worse. Take away the keys please.
    I'm re-watching trying to figure why it went so sideways.
    Last edited by ross1; 01-05-2015 at 02:48 PM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    z3
    Really seems like that car needs the optional bigger wheels to look good

I like the color though. The video shows the different colors the paint shows very well.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    And soon the government will take away our ability to turn the traction control off.

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    EuroS50B30,e83,Frontier
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    And soon the government will take away our ability to turn the traction control off.

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com
    They can take away our push buttons.... But they can't take our side cutters!!!!!!
    "There are bold drivers and there are old drivers, but there are no bold, old drivers."

My Cars
    1991 325i
    Didnt you guys here? This guy graduated from formula driving school but one of his rear tires was 1.5psi lower than the other and it was cold out. and traction control off on a PUBLIC STREET? heavens to betsy its lucky we all didnt die.
    1991 BMW 325i(Current Daily) (S52)
    I have carburetors, and I'm not afraid to use them!
    There are always other fish (engines) in the sea (Craigslist)
    Life is about enjoying the engine you are sitting behind.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition

Ouch.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    1999 Estoril M3
    So wait, if we lower our tires 1.5psi on all four we can just fly around? This guy is on to something.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    I wonder if this guy is ever going to show up at a meet ever again? I have seen this photo pretty much everywhere on the internet.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    So it is true that BMW's try to kill you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vwg...utu.be&t=3m10s

My Cars
    1991 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by AstroSloth View Post
    So wait, if we lower our tires 1.5psi on all four we can just fly around? This guy is on to something.
    This showed up on reddit yesterday, apparently one of the members found the guy on a forum and posted his explanation on reddit. Those are literally his excuses. also, some people seem to think that its a terrible idea to even turn off traction control at all unless you are at the track.....

My Cars
    z3
    lol bimmerpost is down because so many people are trying to read his excuses

Heres the post btw.... and I thought I was overly verbose...!

Hey guys,

It was my car that was involved and a mistake was made. There were no intentions of doing anything out of the norm. In fact, you'll notice in the video that the car was going very slowly in front of the crowd. This was intentional because we've all watched too many YouTube videos of this sort of thing happening and wanted to make sure that nobody would get hurt should anything unexpected happen. Once the car was past the crowd the accelerator was pushed in a straight-line as I have done many times in the past when the rear snapped violently. The car was going ~30mph at that time. The car has been driven for 4700 miles and has been driven with DSC off many times including in the rain and never has the car snapped so violently just from accelerating. I chalk it up to several factors including cold temps (low 40s), cold tires and incorrect psi (more on that later) and of course driver error. More judicious use of the throttle should have been exercised. MDM mode was not used because MDM is too quick to intervene and cuts power prematurely (or maybe not).

Usually when the rear breaks loose, it does so progressively and steering correction will suffice. However, you can see in the video that the front tires are turned slightly to the right indicating opposite lock was put on the steering trying to prevent the car from doing a complete 180 however there wasn't enough real estate to counter how violently it snapped - though admittedty the gravity of the snap required immediate full oppo lock which was misread. I'm not sure why some are saying that no steering input was made because it was - one could argue it should have been sooner but again usually a little wiggle just takes small steering input and power through not a full-on immediate opposite lock as was needed in such a big snap - to me it actually seemed like it was happening in slow-mo although the vid makes it seem like it happened so fast. As the car started to correct it became apparent that there was no way out except over the curb which is where I put on the brakes and tried to straightline the curb as much as possible to avoid hitting the curb at an angle which would cause a lot of damage and potentiality flip/roll the car.6

I've driven many high hp rwd cars including vipers, porsches, corvettes, and formula cars and I've graduated from formula racing schools and have years of training in advanced car control and plenty of track time. Heck I remember day one of Formula school, half of the first day was spent on the skid pad learning how to keep a car from spinning if you lose traction. Maybe I need a refresher since it's been awhile and I've been driving AWD Audis for the past few years. Some of those other RWD cars I mentioned will snap fiercely and you have to be on extremely high alert, however my experience with the M4 has been that it tends to not snap so viciously in a straight line - but this time I was wrong. I would caution anyone thinking that it can't happen to them (count me as previously one of those) that anyone can make a mistake. I'm thankful that nobody was injured from such a mistake. Surprisingly, the car seems to be driving just fine with the only damage being the right plastic guard underneath the bumper which can be seen in the video. Surprising I know. 7

I mentioned earlier that I had incorrect PSI - let me explain. My PSI was low, so I inflated it a bit with a pump with an analog tire guage which of course is very imprecise compared to a digital gauge. I noticed that my right tire pressure was 1.5psi off of my left when viewing the PSI from the BMW onboard digital gauge (you can only do this while driving). However, as my car had been pulling to the right from day 1 of delivery (there's a big thread of many complaining about that on these forums). Miraculously, the car drifted to the right to a lesser extent with the right tire PSI being slightly higher than the left and so I was playing around with the idea of keeping it that way for a short time- however I knew that I needed to put the PSI equally across both tires but I just failed to do that before going to the meet. I have no idea if unequal PSI left to right contributed to the right rear spinning so differently than the left. 8

Anyways, I know I'll be ridiculed and called an idiot (and rightfully so) but I think many of you also know that I didn't do anything intentionally out of the ordinary or unsafe. I'm not sure I was even trying to show off as acceleration happened when the car was past the crowd and it's not like a powerslide or burnout or anything of that sort occurred. 9

I also think the M4 is a fine car and I have no complaints about the amount of power or torque or tire width or grip or anything. In fact, the whole reason I got the M4 is because it's not AWD and I like the rear moving around a bit. Mistakes happen and I've learned a lesson - and from now on will keep DSC on when driving around because there's too much at stake to make a mistake while driving - no matter how good or bad of a driver you are. Thanks for hearing me out. It certainly has been a humbling experience.
    All I want to know is what damage was done to the car?

Oh, and...

Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 01-05-2015 at 09:05 PM.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I say the driver is a spy/agent from AMG Mercedes headquarters or from the Stuttgart (Audi RS department) who performed a role play of displaying how dangerous BMW cars are even at 10 mph to the general public.

What say ye?

My Cars
    1991 325i
    I say the term 'opposite lock' hasnt been exaggerated so much until that guys post.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Interesting! Looks like bimmerpost.com site isn't working at the moment ....

My Cars
    1999 Estoril M3
    That guys excuses are so ridiculous. I could understand if you had TC on, and this somehow happens because you weren't expecting to loose the rear end. This guy turned it off, he should have known the rear would kick out.

My Cars
    1991 325i
    That guys excuses are so ridiculous. I could understand if you had TC on, and this somehow happens because you weren't expecting to loose the rear end. This guy turned it off, he should have known the rear would kick out.
    online so many people were commenting that you shouldnt even turn traction control off on a normal street because of how easily these cars get out it was insane. You want a car that kicks its rear end out at the slightest hint? Buy a 70 Chevelle. Im pretty sure the M division can handle handling.

My Cars
    1984 318i, 1998 M3
    Looked like he turned his body to the left as if he was wanting to get the car to slide or kick out. These cars don't break traction out of nowhere unless you really try hard, they're made to stay on the track.

My Cars
    1999 Estoril M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudolph320i View Post
    online so many people were commenting that you shouldnt even turn traction control off on a normal street because of how easily these cars get out it was insane. You want a car that kicks its rear end out at the slightest hint? Buy a 70 Chevelle. Im pretty sure the M division can handle handling.
    The people commenting online and on reddit ,mainly outside of the car specific subreddits, view cars as point a to b's. Enjoying them at all are frivolous activities.

My Cars
    1991 325i
    The people commenting online and on reddit ,mainly outside of the car specific subreddits, view cars as point a to b's. Enjoying them at all are frivolous activities.
    Oh trust me I know, even on the car and car specific forums it can get ridiculously simple (and I havent even tracked my car). But if you regularly drive in a way that would throw the car off the road had traction control/stability control not been on, its halfway to a video game.

My Cars
    e39's
    If you cant counter steer do to spazzing out or not knowing how to drive, the typical reaction is to stuff the brakes. This guy did neither, its like he just closed his eyes hoping the car would figure it out for him.. Audi drivers...
    As I stated before, communicate well and often, especially when the news is not going to be pleasant.

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Interesting! Looks like bimmerpost.com site isn't working at the moment ....
    bimmerpost is back online, and that thread is featured on main page and it's already 19 pages long.

Anyway, from the explanation it looks like driver waited till he passed the crowd, pushed gas, counter-steered a little while expecting it to just wiggle a bit and correct itself. But the car bites back, but at least he sticks the landing. Mistakes happen, and he admits his fault. At least nobody got hurt and he didn't crash into oncoming traffic. So in a way, he got lucky.

That video had 40k views yesterday, now it's close to 500k lol
    Lazy Saturday drive in my E34: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzvZgPnOos

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    BRB, I'm gonna go check to make sure one of my tires isn't 1.5psi lower than the other ...

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I've got to check mine too. Thanks for reminding me about that.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Ran out of talent, plain and simple. This guy clearly thinks he knows everything (based on his rich racing background) which is why he'll always be a terrible driver. Go buy a Camry, let the real adults have the fun cars.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast