Thread: help!

My Cars
    99 528i m package

help!

Hello guys im new here. I have a 99 528i with the inline 6 in it. I recently had a idle problem. I figured it out and it was the hose from the ccv to the dipstick. Replaced it. Now its fine. But nowni have the gear in the dashboard and it shifts hard now. I never had the issue with that when my idle was messed up. Its like i fixed the idle and then this poped up. Mind u i have not cleared the codes yet. Do u think if i clear the codes all will go back to normal?

My Cars
    99 528i m package
    Wow no replys? Wtf

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    No it wont go back to normal if you clear the codes. You have a transmission problem, and the computer will tell you more or less what is wrong if you can get the codes ran. I would start with checking the fluid level of the transmission.

Does it go through all the gears? Can you drive it at highway speeds? Be sure to check the fluid first.

My Cars
    2000 bmw 540i
    Agree with above.

My Cars
    99 528i m package
    Thanks for replying guys i have not checked the fluid yet. I will tomorow. Is there any way to reset the tranny computer? And no i have not drivin it on the highway yet. Dont wana mess it up more lol

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    Typically, the light on the dash will go away once the problem has been fixed.

My Cars
    99 528i m package
    I am reading alot of stuff. Will my obd reader tell me a code for a bad transmission sensor? Finally got the car running great but this daym tranny light is pissn me off

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    Unfortunately no, the generic OBD code reader does not deal with transmission codes. You will need either A) Carsoft 6.5, or B) INPA to scan codes. Carsoft is probably better, since it only reads codes, you cannot program anything, so its much safer-and a bit easier to work with from what I read.

OR you can tow your car down to a BMW dealership where they will charge you 100+ to scan the codes. I would say, not to drive it until you figure out what your transmission needs.

How was the fluid level when you checked it? Was the fluid burnt? Smelly old?

My Cars
    99 528i m package
    Hey thanks for the for the reply. I checked the fluid this morning. It seems old and has never been changed. Would the old fluid cause it to shift hard? Also i have my abs light on aswell. I was doing some research and some people say that a bad sensor could trigger the tranny light as well but my abs ligh was on already and the tranny shifted completely fine until i replaced the ccv. Then the light poped up and shifted hard. Im getting pretty peed off at this car lol

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    Go head and change the fluid and filter, make sure it is of the proper spec, and change it with the correct procedure. I have used Valvoine Maxlife, it has my BMW spec on the back of the bottle. I also used Lucas Stop Slip, very happy with that product. If it is shifting hard through the gears, it could be the solenoids. You can pick up a pair, solenoid A and B, for around 60 bux on ebay. They are a bit of a pain to get out, since there are tension pins that hold them in, I can help you get those out. Need a pry bar and a good set of visegrips. As far as the ABS light, you would do well to pick up carsoft and scan the codes. Trust me on that one.

You will have to fiddle with this car for a while, but once you get it set, it keeps running and running. I put over 40 hours of labor into mine before it was road worthy.
    Last edited by Sleepyhead97; 01-11-2015 at 12:05 PM.

My Cars
    99 528i m package
    Wow thanks sleepy head for the indepth reply. I am changing the oil and filter tomorow. Where are the silanodes A and B located? My beemer is a 99 528i v6 2.8 litre. Some plp say i have the gm tranny in the car. I love the car and dont wana get rid of it. Any info helps thank you

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    The Solenoids are right under the transmission filter.
    1. Drain Fluid
    2. Remove Pan
    3. remove transmission filter
    4. unplug Solenoids *they have electrical connections, simple pig tail connector, be careful, the plastic is brittle*
    5. Grab the tip of the tension pin with the vise grips, YOU ONLY WANT TO TRY TO REMOVE IT A FEW TIMES, BECAUSE THE TENSION PINS BECOME BRITTLE, AND THEY WILL BREAK, AND YOU WILL HAVE TO USE A HAMMER AND A CHISSEL TO SHATTER THE REST OF THE PIN.
    6. You have to grab the tip of the of the pin with the vise grips, and the grip has to be tight.
    7. Thread the prybar through the visegrips closed mouth. There should be enough room for you to put the pry bar through the vise grip mouth, and have the pry bar end rest on the bottom of the car, near the driver side.
    8. Pull on the pry bar, to pull the pin out. (there are TWO)
    9. BUY REPLACEMENT PINS.... I bought mine from home depot/Lowes, they have them, they are tension pins.
    10. There are two solenoids, they will only go one way, they have little tabs bent out in different places. Just compare the one you pulled out, to the new one, you will see what I mean.
    I should have took pics when I did this, but I didn't because, well my hands were filthy, and I was in a rush.

My Cars
    99 528i m package
    Thanks sleepyhead!!!! I will do this all tomorow. That would have been awesome if u had photos. Was ur tranny shifting hard when u changed urs? Also what kind of beemer do u have?

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    I have a 1997 528i. My car had hard shifts into and out of third gear. It was annoying, and made me cringe everytime. I replaced the solenoids, and put in some lucas, problem was gone. Lucas is optional of course, the hard shift problem stems from the solenoids/ and old fluid.

As far as your transmission light, again, I would highly recommend getting the codes read.

Good luck, Hope it goes smoothly for you.

My Cars
    99 528i m package
    Thanks sleepyhead. U have been the most informative person on here yet i wipp let u know jow it goes. I am doing to job tomorow.

My Cars
    99 528i m package
    So aleepyhead i was about to do the silanodes. And i was thinking mhmmmm my mafs not working. I bought a used maf for 50 bucks and bam! Transmission light is off and now shifting excellent. I love my beemer again. So much power.

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    cool, I did say scan the codes didn't I?

My Cars
    99 528i m package
    Yes sir u did. So so i paid a European shopt to scan the codes for 60 bucks to tell me exactly ahat the problem was. The ass hole comes back and says ok they are cleared. Theres no problems........ I shook my head and started my car. Then he says ohh the lights came back on. And then he wanted me to leave the car therem i said hell no. U didnt give me the codes or tell me what was going on so i just left.

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    Ha, What a Jerk. Cool thing is you can buy all the code scanning you need for your car for 100 bux or less on ebay.