Thread: Intake Valve Cleaning - Walnut Blasting DIY Video

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition

Intake Valve Cleaning - Walnut Blasting DIY Video

This DIY was done by the wonderful people at Bavauto.

http://blog.bavauto.com/15543/

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    95 M3 - 03 325i - 68 Bug
    What is funny is about 75% of the owners on here will be too scared to even connect a manual starter hehe

My Cars
    1997 Estoril M3 Coupe
    Why not just rotate the crank with a socket and breaker bar? Seems like it would be more precise.

Is this a valvetronic thing?
    Last edited by sullypants1; 12-30-2014 at 03:06 PM. Reason: technology

My Cars
    2013 135i, 1994 Jeep XJ
    Quote Originally Posted by sullypants1 View Post
    Why not just rotate the crank with a socket and breaker bar? Seems like it would be more precise.

Is this a valvetronic thing?
    Because the starter motor is... RIGHT THERE.

Precision is not an issue. When the intake is removed, you will see that the valves on four of the cylinders are closed. On two of the cylinders, they are open. It doesn't matter which particular cylinders are in their respective positions... Just blast the four closed cylinders first, bump the starter to close the remaining two, and then blast those.

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53,
    Quote Originally Posted by mhunter29928 View Post
    Because the starter motor is... RIGHT THERE. Precision is not an issue. When the intake is removed, you will see that the valves on four of the cylinders are closed. On two of the cylinders, they are open. It doesn't matter which particular cylinders are in their respective positions... Just blast the four closed cylinders first, bump the starter to close the remaining two, and then blast those.
    fool.. What if walnut shells make it's way into othe cylinders.. That starter won't feel the resistance like a simple socket on a breaker bar and bend a valve with the quickness... Next post just did walnut blasting and car won't run right..
    2003 X5 4.6is - for sale
    2006 X5 L83 5.3 6l80 swapped in progress - for sale
    1999 528i 5.7L 4l60e swapped w/ 31 spline 8.8 cobra diff - for sale
    2007 ZX-10r - sold
    1987 R-10 SWB L83 5.3L 6L80e swapped
    www.87chevy.com

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by modular93fox View Post
    fool.. What if walnut shells make it's way into othe cylinders.. That starter won't feel the resistance like a simple socket on a breaker bar and bend a valve with the quickness... Next post just did walnut blasting and car won't run right..
    You take off the intake manifold and blast the walnut shells STRAIGHT into the head. How the heck would someone get a shell through the solid metal head into another cylinder? If that happens you got bigger problems then carbon build up...!

Heres an image of the job being performed, can you explain how a walnut shell would make its way into another cylinder other than the one being worked on?

Does raise an interesting question, what would happen if walnut did make it through the engine? I'd imagine part of why they use walnut shells is its strong enough to break up the carbon but not strong enough to bend a valve or break anything. There are many types of media they could use (sand, glass, ceramic, beads, etc) and the walnut is not the most efficient at getting carbon build up off (it will get it off, but a smaller media will remove it faster). So that tells me that likely part of the reason they chose walnut is just in case someone really screws this job up and walnut makes it through, that the walnut shell will just shatter and shoot out the exhaust before damaging anything. Its also not like we are talking COMPLETE walnut shells, they are broken down to where they are like big pieces of sand, not full-on nut shells.
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 01-01-2015 at 01:59 PM.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2013 135i, 1994 Jeep XJ
    No need for name calling.

And yeah... I forgot to mention, I also tape off the ports with open valves.

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53,
    Is there not a port inside of the intake that connects all of them together.. Maybe for secondary air? Located on the top/ roof of the port. And as far as name calling fool wasn't meant to hurt anyone's feelings. And if walnut shells do get in the cylinder it would bend a valve as it does not compress like air.

It's also a good idea to remove the alternator /starter cable from the jump point just incase the wand slips and touches the starter b+ terminal and blows a fuse
    Last edited by modular93fox; 01-02-2015 at 12:34 AM.
    2003 X5 4.6is - for sale
    2007 ZX-10r - sold
    www.87chevy.com

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53,
    Quote Originally Posted by mhunter29928 View Post
    No need for name calling. And yeah... I forgot to mention, I also tape off the ports with open valves.
    Sorry bout that
    2003 X5 4.6is - for sale
    2007 ZX-10r - sold
    www.87chevy.com

My Cars
    2013 135i, 1994 Jeep XJ
    Sorry bout that
    No problem. We are on the same team here my friend. Error on the side of caution is a good thing. My mind was on time saver mode.

Those ports are for crankcase ventilation.