Thread: a used 2013 BMW335i xdrive but labled as lemon should i buy it?

My Cars
    2013 bmw335i xdrive

a used 2013 BMW335i xdrive but labled as lemon should i buy it?

I saw this BMW on cars.com, i was really excited when i first saw it because it is M sport and has some several packages on it. So i checked this car on carfax and contacted with the dealer, i noticed that this car was labeled as a lemon car, according to what the dealer said it was due to a sensor that controlled the heat and air. The dealer also said it was not a quick fix they actually changed out the part to bring up to BMW standards which i found quite funny, does that mean BMW sell cars do not meet their standards? I consulted some friends of mine and some said its no big deal but some said how could a broken sensor lead to a buyback. Now here comes the question, is there something else about this car that the dealer didnt tell me? But this dealer store rated 4.9/5 on cars.comand has pretty good reputation. In addition, i might not be able to buy it recently so i told him i may buy it in late January and he suggested me to put down 5K as deposit. I really hope you guys can give me some advice on it.

My Cars
    2000 2.5i Z3
    Don't trust the dealer because of their rating. Spend $150-200 for a qualified mechanic to give it a check up. If your going to spend tens of thousands of dollars $150-200 is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

My Cars
    00 528i & 01 X5
    If they can prove with paper work that is the reason for the "lemon" and buy back, I would not be afraid of it. And there will be a paper trail on it.
    2001 X5 4.4

2000 528i

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    The only way to really know why the car was bought back is to see all the repair orders for the car and go through them, complaint by complaint and find the common thread. If there is a common thread to be found.

It's not uncommon for a customer to have problem after unrelated problem after unrelated problem with a vehicle and then the one problem that finally breaks the camel's back is the one that's listed as the "buyback reason", when really, it was the 8 other problems before the last one that really caused the issue.

(OK, so it is uncommon for someone to have so many problems that the car gets bought back, but the situation I've described is not uncommon amongst buybacks).

Anyhow, the "buyback reason" may have been simply the latest problem, and not a recurring problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincj110 View Post

I saw this BMW on cars.com, i was really excited when i first saw it because it is M sport and has some several packages on it. So i checked this car on carfax and contacted with the dealer, i noticed that this car was labeled as a lemon car, according to what the dealer said it was due to a sensor that controlled the heat and air. The dealer also said it was not a quick fix they actually changed out the part to bring up to BMW standards which i found quite funny, does that mean BMW sell cars do not meet their standards? I consulted some friends of mine and some said its no big deal but some said how could a broken sensor lead to a buyback. Now here comes the question, is there something else about this car that the dealer didnt tell me? But this dealer store rated 4.9/5 on cars.comand has pretty good reputation. In addition, i might not be able to buy it recently so i told him i may buy it in late January and he suggested me to put down 5K as deposit. I really hope you guys can give me some advice on it.
    How many miles? What is the warranty status if any? How much are they asking for a two year old car? Is it what you really want or are you buying because you think it is a "deal"?

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    The only way to really know why the car was bought back is to see all the repair orders for the car and go through them, complaint by complaint and find the common thread. If there is a common thread to be found.

It's not uncommon for a customer to have problem after unrelated problem after unrelated problem with a vehicle and then the one problem that finally breaks the camel's back is the one that's listed as the "buyback reason", when really, it was the 8 other problems before the last one that really caused the issue.

(OK, so it is uncommon for someone to have so many problems that the car gets bought back, but the situation I've described is not uncommon amongst buybacks).

Anyhow, the "buyback reason" may have been simply the latest problem, and not a recurring problem.
    Yep. The vehicle needs to spend like 30 days at the dealer within an 18 month time span. Or it needs to be brought in repeatedly for the same issue, I think it is like 3-4 times for a safety related issue (brakes etc) and 7 for non safety related.

If it is under warranty I wouldn't be afraid of it.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    z3
    I trust a lot of cars others wont, but I never trust lemons.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    Post the link to the car, or post details about the car, like price, mileage, warranty remaining, etc.

However, the short answer is: DON'T BUY IT.
    It may turn out to be a great deal, you would never know unless you were a tech that worked on that particular car and knew what problems it had and why it became a lemon.

Personally, I wouldn't risk my money by buying an expensive 2 year old lemon.

I'd rather get a non-lemon CPO or a new 3 series with a smaller engine, if I was trying to keep it under budget.
    You can probably find a good deal on a brand new left over 2014s if you must get a 335xi.
    Lazy Saturday drive in my E34: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzvZgPnOos

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
    Yep. The vehicle needs to spend like 30 days at the dealer within an 18 month time span. Or it needs to be brought in repeatedly for the same issue, I think it is like 3-4 times for a safety related issue (brakes etc) and 7 for non safety related.

If it is under warranty I wouldn't be afraid of it.

Most states it's simply 3 visits within the first year for the same issue to be an actual "lemon law" car. Safety related or not.

However, BMW sometimes does a "buyback" of a vehicle that has had multiple problems - whether the same problem or different problems - and that's what I was referring to. Legally, this isn't a "lemon law" car. In BMW speak, all "lemon law" cars are buybacks, but not all buybacks are 'lemon law' cars.
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2013 135i, 1994 Jeep XJ
    Last 7 digits of VIN?

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    Most states it's simply 3 visits within the first year for the same issue to be an actual "lemon law" car.
    We'll pretty much 60% if all BMWs are lemons based on your statement.
    2006 X5 L83 5.3 6l80 swapped in progress
    1999 528i 5.7L 4l60e swapped w/ 31 spline 8.8 cobra diff
    2007 ZX-10r - sold
    1987 R-10 SWB L83 5.3L 6L80e swapped

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by modular93fox View Post
    You may have missed "for the same issue"

Lemon laws also vary by State. They are State laws not federal laws, so reasons a car is lemon'd will vary vastly from one jurisdiction to another.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by modular93fox View Post
    For cars with HPFP and injector issues a few years ago, you're probably pretty close.