Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bigger Engine vs. Classic Look

My Cars
    see my signature
    Quote Originally Posted by m6bigdog View Post
    Chamberlin, You are right, Scared? So, why would you own a 1990's BMW if it scares you!!
    Hahaha thanks for the reply - I guess it is the precise level of 'maintenance scared' that I'm looking for. Someplace between '68 Volkswagen Type 1, and 2015 BMW i8

I buy and restore Italian motorcycles (straight-forward mechanicals, but can include pricey parts), and I own a '07 Jeep Rubicon (a true mechanical *and* electrical catastrophe). I am never scared to troubleshoot/diagnose/buy/repair parts for those vehicles. I just got done changing the clutch and seals on the Jeep, and feel like I could take on the world right now (LOL).

But the big black bottomless pit of the M73 drive-train electronics is enough to make Tesla, Marconi, and Edison all puke up a little spew. I've had the bearings/water pump/VANOS scares on my M coupe, the main bearing scare on the S65 M3's I had (BTW, all only just worries- never any problems), but for some reason, that M73/5HP30 combo is the 7th level of fear for me! I think what it comes down too is that the 6 speed/M70 is just at the limit of what I am capable of maintaining at home (a strong prerequisite for me even contemplating this purchase), and the M73/5 speed auto is the straw that broke the camel's f'ing back. Does this make sense? Or do I really have it backwards?

That said, I've since talked the seller of the '91 manual down to a much more reasonable sale price, but there are a lot of nice used BMWs out there in the $20K range so I'm having a real time of it. But that's half the fun right!

My Cars
    92 850i/00 X5/04 330Cic
    I have a 91 850i and have been reading up on it. I wanted to say thank you to sick puppy motorwerks for your posts !!! Much of what you are doing is exactly what I have in mind, studying your posts and other posts on this web site are of enormous value. Sometimes people need to hear they are appreciated. Thanks, I will try to post if and when I have something to add of significance. I plan on following your rear carrier rebuild and I am also contemplating a 5.4 conversion. I am about a year behind your progress.
    Last edited by zorzu; 12-29-2014 at 01:24 AM. Reason: wanted to thank the right guy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12