Thread: Cadillac ATS-V challenges the new BMW M3/M4 ...

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird

Cadillac ATS-V challenges the new BMW M3/M4 ...

So, you may have been hearing and reading a lot about the upcoming Cadillac ATS-V that GM are trying to claim it as a BMW M beater specifically to the new M3/M4. Interesting technical info apparently. A 3.6 litre V6 twin turbocharged engine producing 455 hp and 445 lb-ft of torques. And is rear wheel drive. Comes with a manual 6 speed gearbox or an optional ZF 8 speed auto tuned specifically to this model. Also, the ATS-V can either come in as a sedan or as a coupe. Hmm .... interesting, interesting ....

We know that new Lexus RCF is only as quick as the M3/M4 but overall comes behind it in standings. I'm not sure if Audi has come out with their newer RS4 yet as I believe the current one still uses the old 4.2 litre V8. Basically, old powertrain in the current chassis. The Mercedes has once again proven to be the powerhouse lord in this segment (as always the case seem to be) and is reviewed and praised to be a more raw and a punchy car by many editors. Handling has also improved in these new AMG models. Infiniti has got nothing to compete with any of these class segment as they simply do not have one. In fact, they never made one. So, what do you think about this new challenger?

http://www.caranddriver.com/cadillac/ats-v

My Cars
    z3
    Someone needs to send GM's design department a curve ruler...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird

Very straight edgy lines isn't it?

My Cars
    E30 (Delores), W123
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post

Meh, Cadillac lines have been very softened since the original CTS, and the ATS is better looking than anything to come out of BMW studios for a decade.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Reminds you of the old Volvo's .....

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Looks like a car to which the owner has added "aero" kits. Ugly.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Quote Originally Posted by KevRC4130 View Post
    Meh, Cadillac lines have been very softened since the original CTS, and the ATS is better looking than anything to come out of BMW studios for a decade.
    I'm a fan of boxy cars as much as the next guy, but the ATS does nothing for me. I think the only BMW it might look better than is the original Bangle 7 series and that's about it ...

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Can't wait to see the reviews as soon as it come out. Can't wait for a solo review from Chris Harris if he ever gets a hand on one. And, finally a comparison review against the M3/M4.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by KevRC4130 View Post
    Yeah its just a softened CTS. They haven't actually made any major changes on it since it was introduced, just basically facelifted it over and over. Its not an iconic enough shape to warrant that sort of treatment either, a CTS is no 911.

And you are certainly entitled to your opinion but I think the VAST majority of people would say most of BMW's new offerings are way better looking then anything out of Cadillac's design studios

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    I actually quite like the ATS and CTS in stock trim, the sharp lines are nice change from the terrible flame surfacing and bubble cars of the recent past. I like boxy cars. However I don't like the aggressive big air scoops and grills on the fronts of most any of the high performance models by most anyone, BMW, Cadillac, Benz,... However, in today's car market, the styling war is hey look at me, there is no subtleness to design, the exception being VW and Honda.

Between the Cadillac and BMW offerings, I do prefer the BMW styling, it has made leaps and bounds of improvement over the Bangle era styling.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzaman09 View Post
    there is no subtleness to design, the exception being VW and Honda.
    Yeah... "subtle"

...have you even seen a CR-Z or a new Toureg?

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I don't like the interior of the cadi's. Especially the instrument cluster even on these new range of models.

My Cars
    M3TTst2Meth-K1300S-1100G

My Cars
    2003.5 M3 Coupe,99M Coupe,99 M3 Vert
    This ones going to be real interesting. About the same size and weight for once and a little more power. If they get the steering and handling down and its 55k vs 75-80 it might beat the current m3. I for one hope it does, always better for us when someone challenges the great cars we love

My Cars
    But I don't love the looks either, as many of you mentioned

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by apollo322 View Post
    This ones going to be real interesting. About the same size and weight for once and a little more power. If they get the steering and handling down and its 55k vs 75-80 it might beat the current m3. I for one hope it does, always better for us when someone challenges the great cars we love
    I'm not really interested in the CTS-V that will be coming out in 2016 but I'm most definitely interested in this one, the ATS-V because of its technical features. It's been a while since GM decided to stick with a smaller displacement engine to which they decided to ring it out to its full potential. The fact that it's not your typical V8 LS blah blah ... engine but a V6 makes it more appealing. On top of that it's a twin turbocharged too which what I believe is air/water intercooled design just like the S55 engine in the M3/M4, a lot of revisions made specifically to its chassis to handle the most of extremes, to be able to handle like or better than the M3/M4, the fact that you can either have the 8 speed auto and again tuned specifically for this car, or the good ol' 6 speed manual, the car being quite light weight despite the official figures suggesting it's still heavier than our M3/M4 is, however, compensated by higher hp and torque figures compared to our S55 numbers. A lot of good stuff and goodies to real all about it. The way I see it this ATS-V is most certainly on par with the M3/M4 when juxtaposed to its technical aspects. We haven't heard or seen a lot performance figures yet from GM even thought they've put up few videos out there that appears to be believable. GM/Cadillac engineers seemingly have done their homework, and so it will be interesting to see how these two cars fair up against one another.
    Last edited by auaq; 12-24-2014 at 05:03 PM. Reason: typo

My Cars
    I agree, and since I have driven the new corvette and this has a similar suspension, it might be better then we could possibly imagine. I hope so

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by apollo322 View Post
    I agree, and since I have driven the new corvette and this has a similar suspension, it might be better then we could possibly imagine. I hope so
    Yep, who knows our jaws may drop once we see the scoreboard. It's possible this may in turn ring alarm bells over at Bavarian headquarters to their shock and surprise. Who knows right now someone must have dropped their wine glass and is now cleaning up!

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    Yeah... "subtle"

...have you even seen a CR-Z or a new Toureg?
    I will certainly give you the CR-Z. The new Toureg isn't too flashy, certainly flashier then it's predecessors. Overall though, VW and Honda are conservative on the design side.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Actually I like the looks of this ATS-V compared to the CTS-V.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    Hopefully ATS-V isn't a heavy pig like the one from lexus.
    The ricer aero kit probably needs a bit of toning down or one should get one without a aero kit. I actually like that they're coming out with this car, since more competition= keeps everyone else on their toes to strive to make a better product.

In any case, cadillac is rolling out 8 new vehicles in the next 5 years as a result of their 12B dollar investment. Finally, Caddy isn't simply a chevy with posh leather inside
    Lazy Saturday drive in my E34: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzvZgPnOos

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Motor Trend does a review on the ATS V. Going to wait and see when they do a Head to Head with the M3/M4.

My Cars
    yay
    I'd quite like if they aimed for even harder, slimmer, more simple lines by going back to some of their more iconoclastic styling cues for inspiration.

In recent years they've been making strides in the right direction, but they've been half-strides. The European makes are still the undisputed leaders in style and quality for luxury sedans and coupes. Cadillac is following, not leading.

How can they combine the design cues of iconic Caddy's, such as the DeVille, with modern demands for performance and quality materials to produce something that is authentic and uniquely Cadillac? Something that doesn't look cheap and out of place next to the products of their glory days?

I think it would be worth it for them to explore the concept. Really go for it. But I won't hold my breath.

My Cars
    02 M62 Dinan 5 (SLOW)
    Also just some info on the New RS-4. Definitely will be a variant of the 4.2 again ;-)
    Last edited by 1gr8e39; 05-24-2015 at 06:46 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------Like the late Bill Paxton says repeatedly in Twister "I'm Not Back"---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------