Thread: Switching Paint Type

My Cars
    2008 E90 335i

Switching Paint Type

Posted a bit earlier about where to get paint, but now I have a question. I'm using 2 stage urethane to paint my bumpers and hood. My bumpers are 2 stage urethane right now, so I'm probably just going to color sand them and prime where I need too. I am repainting the same color, which is canyon red (see pic).

1) The hood is an acrylic enamel, so should I sand to bare metal, prime, then paint with 2 stage since the paint type is different?

2) What color primer do you think I should use to get a good match without needing to spray more than 2 or 3 coats?

3) Should I just wait to sand the hood, see what color that primer is, then run and grab that color?

Thanks! I know its a long series of questions...

I know it is a different car, just found the pic online and it looks identical, just without the fading and chips that I am removing....

My Cars
    00 528i & 01 X5
    I would just prep the needed areas on the hood, prime them and paint if I was doing it.
    2001 X5 4.4

2000 528i

My Cars
    z3
    1) yes
    2) see 3
    3) yes

That'd be your best bet at least. You'll want to color match the primer for best results.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!