Thread: 06 330i auto oil pan gasket

My Cars
    95 M3 Coupe

06 330i auto oil pan gasket

I dropped the subframe and removed all the bolts for the pan. I can slide the pan all around but can't get the pan off. There are two tabs or half circles on the back of the oil pan on the transmission side that are hitting the splash shield sandwiched in the engine and transmission. I tried for hours and can't get the pan off. Has anyone done this on an automatic? Does the transmission have to be removed? The pan only drops slightly down so id have to cut the gasket to get it in there.

My Cars
    2013 328I
    How about some pictures. Can you slide the pan forward at all?

My Cars
    95 M3 Coupe
    When it's slid forward its hitting the pickup tube inside the pan. The half circles on the back of the pan are still slightly stuck on that trans splash shield. I'm going to unbolt the trans and slide it back a couple inches later this week. Don't see any other way. The guides online for the manual trans say it just comes right off.

My Cars
    2013 328I
    If you undue the bolts on the bell housing they will need to be replaced especially if they have blue tops. Still would like some pictures if possible.

My Cars
    95 M3 Coupe
    Already have all the bolts. Not that expensive. The Bentley says to lock the torque converter in place with a special tool. The tool is not available anywhere. Not sure if it's even necessary. I'll post pics when I get home tonight.

My Cars
    95 M3 Coupe
    Figured it out. I was rotating the engine by the crank shaft and it knocked the oil pan out to the floor. I had the engine at TDC doing some work and in that position the oil pan was jammed against the flex plate.