Thread: Paint Touch Up Source

My Cars
    2008 E90 335i

Paint Touch Up Source

First, I want to repaint faded bumpers on my Canyon Red BMW 540iA. I want to repaint the hood because when I got backed into in 2003, I got it repainted but by a bad place that used crappy paint that chips all the time . Anyway, how much paint will it take? Should I get paint mixed at a local shop or should I get it online? Which will be cheaper? I'm thinking 2 stage urethane because of the durability benaifits. I have a sprayer and compressor, so I won't be using any aerosols outside of the primer. Also, is it compatible with bondo? I know this is a lot of questions but I would rather get it right the first time. Thanks!

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    You are quite ambitious to be repainting those bits yourself. I would suggest getting a local shop to mix the paint as they can match the color of your car better. When a car is manufactured there is a paint code associated with every color and you can buy it say online, however every paint batch is always slightly different. This is especially true with metallic paints. (I am not familiar with Canyon Red, I don't know if it is metallic). A good car paint shop has the ability to better match the rest of the paint on your car based on how faded it may be and the variation that it my have had at the factory.

I wish you the best of luck, I don't trust myself with a spray can let alone spraying paint onto various bits of one of my most valuable possessions.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    2008 E90 335i
    Lol, thanks. I will probably go to a shop. The car in your picture is pretty close to canyon red, and it is metallic. I have sprayed bikes and a few other things before, but I wasn't trying to repaint, just change color. Thanks for the input though

My Cars
    2003 330ci
    I've not gotten anything from these guys, but I saved the link based on good things I've heard online in the BMW community
    http://www.automotivetouchup.com/

I can also share this bit of info from an inquiry I sent them....
    1 pint will cover 14 sq. feet
    1 qt. will cover 28 sq. feet

2003 330ci