Thread: E46 ZHP general thoughts??

My Cars
    95 E36

E46 ZHP general thoughts??

It's been a while since I've posted here.

I've since sold my e30 and recently got into an accident with my e36. Car was totalled unfortunately . I've been looking at a 2005 330ci ZHP as my next daily. I'd just like to know if anyone has had one and what your experience was like with it? Any general thoughts on the car too would be awesome.

My Cars
    93 DSP 325i, 04 ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by hollyw00d10 View Post
    It's been a while since I've posted here.

I've since sold my e30 and recently got into an accident with my e36. Car was totalled unfortunately . I've been looking at a 2005 330ci ZHP as my next daily. I'd just like to know if anyone has had one and what your experience was like with it? Any general thoughts on the car too would be awesome.
    We owned a '04 zhp 330ci 6 speed. In short: fantastic car. Great looks, smooth linear power delivery, exceptional refinement and surprisingly good fuel economy when driven without a lead foot.

Usual BMW woes in terms of maintenance with cooling system, but not so much in terms of oil pump nuts or other bits. The extra cams, freer flowing exhaust and upped redline from the factory makes it honestly one of the best modern bmw's we've owned. The priciest item that we did was a rebuild of the double vanos system which ran pretty high, but other than that usual normal routine stuff wasn't too bad...valve cover gasket, oil changes, etc. The car is really awesome and makes for a timeless classic. If you have the ability definitely pick one up. It's a great car.
    IF I HAD ALL THE MONEY I'VE SPENT ON CARS, I'D SPEND IT ON CARS.
    1993 325i/4: Weekend Warrior and DD on AST4150 Shocks, Swift springs and a handful of other goodies. STX/DSP SCCA Race Car, and BMWCCA 6M hoon mobile!

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    I had a 2004 330 ZHP 6sp manual that was a very good car, far better than my 2009 550.

No major issues in 4 years and about 40K miles. I only sold it because it was getting too small for what I needed, I got tired of changing to snow tires each winter and the manual transmission in traffic where I live became tiresome.

My Cars
    E34 M5, E36 M3, E90 M3
    Love the zhp bmws. Amazing cars, weak points are control arm bushings or the whole control arm assembly if its near 100k miles. Cooling systems (radiators are pretty solid, more of the waterpump, thermostat, hoses and expansion tank). And valve cover gaskets, sometimes the vanos. Beisan systems makes nice cheap repair kit for the vanos.

Good luck

My Cars
    95 E36
    All great responses. Thanks guys!

My Cars
    1991 318is
    I bought a ZHP sedan at auction with 230k. Friend bought it from me, drove it for 10k. I bought it back from him after the transmission went bad (auto), drove it until 280k. Then I sold it to a guy who from CA to FL and drove it back without a hitch. Of all the BMWs I have owned it was the least problematic.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    I think the -ONLY- problem with a E46 ZHP is the ugly facelift front end.

BMW got the coupe front end right on the E46 and they knew it. Note they never uglified the M3.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    z3
    I think the facelift front end look fine on non-M's.

ZHPs are great cars. One of the finer E46's out there. Closest E46 available to a 4 door M3.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!