Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E36 m3 Vert - True Roadster/Spyder Conversion

My Cars
    99M3, 95Dakar, e46Zhp

E36 m3 Vert - True Roadster/Spyder Conversion

So Ive had my Hard top for over a year now and havent used my rag top for just as long .I have been toying with the idea of of removing it all together.
    a Stock e36 m3 coupe weighs about 3175lb and the vert weighs 3491lbs! thats very porkie for m car so I set out to drop some weight.
    I read through this over and over and decided to take the plunge http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...oft-Top-Weight

I began by removing every single electronic motor having to do with the automatic top its self. these two motors and linkages weight 20lbs easy. Next I removed the convertible top its self....
    by my self.. don't recommend it.

the above thread says the soft top frame weighs about 100lbs but it sure felt like more. I quickly made mince meat of my old roughed up top and was left with these. I buy e36's for parts and sometimes get verts. I may start selling the as a hard top converstion kit for those of use who want to go on a diet.

So after its all said and done ive drop roughly 150lbs. and its really made the car come alive. it feels like a completely different car . Almost as if id been lugging around an avg sized person around everywhere . it only cost me the annoys auto top and about 2hrs time. Ive since aquired the bits for the fully manual top and have it sitting in my garage . Dont know if i'll ever use it but its good to know I could.
    Coming Soon! thebimmerdude Youtube Channel.... Everything Bimmer...Everything...duuuddee
    1999 e36 Convertible Hardtop - Sypder (byebye softtop conversion )
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...5#post28143955

My Cars
    destiny
    You need a cap for that hole.
    Current
    2008 E70 4.8 BSM/Black - 100% Options2007 335i SG/Coral Red - 6MT - Ets, Spec, BMS, VRSF, Broadway Static
    2004 325i AW/Black

Past
    2000 M5 Silverstone/Silverstone - ST Coilovers
    1998 E36 M3 - Tiag, Bride Gias, RK Tunes, M50, AA Track Pipe..

My Cars
    99M3, 95Dakar, e46Zhp
    which hole would that be?
    Coming Soon! thebimmerdude Youtube Channel.... Everything Bimmer...Everything...duuuddee

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    You removed the hardtop mounts?
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    99M3, 95Dakar, e46Zhp
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    You removed the hardtop mounts?
    No sir, I removed the Soft top assembly all together. the bracket as show below is now how both sides look. I took a reciprocating saw to the rest of the ragtop assembly.
    Last edited by M3Dynamic; 12-12-2014 at 08:46 AM.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Ha like so. Got it!

IG:

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    If you can fit a cover over the space like on e30 that would complete it

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Convertible
    Hah right on! I love my vert as is, but I can imagine taking 150 pounds off above the rear wheels might make things a little more fun. good deal man.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    I'll always defend someone's right to mod their car but if you put that manual top on it you save 20lbs. I agree that if you run with your hardtop most of the time it's kind of senseless to have the weight of that soft top sitting there...but....I still don't understand why people have a vert when they always have the hard top on. Get a coupe and save another 2 humans worth of weight.

Or do what I did.....get 2 e36s. Best of both worlds at your door step

My Cars
    Cars
    True, but e36 vert with a hardtop looks so much better than a coupe imo. Good job

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by acbx View Post
    True, but e36 vert with a hardtop looks so much better than a coupe imo. Good job
    This 100%. And Fly..you of all people, you know this as well. The vert with hardtop makes one killer of a b-pillarless coupe. Much sexier than the coupe.

I do run the hardtop mocy of the time, it being a cold climate here. But I would never completely remove the top. The times I do enjoy open top driving, which mainly is my annual German Eifel trip, it's nice to be able to but a roof up when the weather goes bad.

IG:

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    This 100%. And Fly..you of all people, you know this as well. The vert with hardtop makes one killer of a b-pillarless coupe. Much sexier than the coupe. I do run the hardtop mocy of the time, it being a cold climate here. But I would never completely remove the top. The times I do enjoy open top driving, which mainly is my annual German Eifel trip, it's nice to be able to but a roof up when the weather goes bad.
    I guess we disagree on this. I drive with the top down every chance I get. Even if it's just a 2 mile run for snacks. I use the hardtop during winter. As soon as it hits 50 3 days in a row the hard top comes off.

My Cars
    99M3, 95Dakar, e46Zhp
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    I guess we disagree on this. I drive with the top down every chance I get. Even if it's just a 2 mile run for snacks. I use the hardtop during winter. As soon as it hits 50 3 days in a row the hard top comes off.
    Well I live in houston... and and we dont get much of a winter really. I got a vert with the sole purpose and intention on getting a hard top. It looks worlds different then a e36 coupe.. which I also have. (In terms of sprung weight, 100 lb / 3500 lb = 2.85% improvement.)

The issue with Texas is that weather is a completely different demographic then where you live. Not sure you could understand unless you have lived here.. the weather here can be a mild 60 deg and you can still get a sunburn... the hard top as you know stiffens up the chassis by leaps and bounds and for an M car & that is a game changer. Not to mention it DOES look soooo much better from behind/side then a coupe. Guess I was just tired of hearing ppl say the hardtop vert M3 looks better but is to heavy to compete with a coupe. I have done tuning and just about every bolt on except for Cam's and I would get walked by by a coupe with identical upgrades. You disagree because you are happy with your cars performance as is. Show me one one person besides myself (none driftcar) on this forum who's had the stones to hack his soft top out in hopes to increase performance. Keep in mind I do have a spare manual ragtop and running gear to install if i want.
    Last edited by M3Dynamic; 12-13-2014 at 09:07 PM.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    I'm already happy I have the Euro M3 and love it. It has all the performance I ever need. Don't care if it's heavier or less stiff. I enjoy the hell out of it. Hardtopped or top dropped.

IG:

My Cars
    99M3, 95Dakar, e46Zhp
    I'm already happy I have the Euro M3 and love it. It has all the performance I ever need. Don't care if it's heavier or less stiff. I enjoy the hell out of it. Hardtopped or top dropped.
    You sirr can not speak here ... you have the REAL deal... 321hp is plenty to move 3400lb. we here in the states have to get creative

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by M3Dynamic View Post
    . You disagree because you are happy with your cars performance as is. ]
    Is that why I just removed my super charger? Is that why I'm doing a 500hp turbo build?

My Cars
    99M3, 95Dakar, e46Zhp
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    Is that why I just removed my super charger? Is that why I'm doing a 500hp turbo build?
    wow. Good for you sir. Not sure what that has to do with my thread. specially because I already said you were happy with your cars performance as is.... you see what I did there? my statement still applies
    This clearly means in my cars current state I wast happy with its performance. This thread was about me dropping weight.. not a opportunity for you to show everyone how relevant your are. Cheers

My Cars
    98 M3, 96 dinan s/c M3
    ^^^hahahah. I think it's awesome what you did. I constantly get shit for buying a grandmas M having a vert. You should have done some timed runs before and after for comparison.

My Cars
    2002 525i Touring
    How do you keep the lid closed when the hard top is off?
    I would love to see some pics illustrating that in the trunk or where ever the mod is to do so without the motor assembly.

My Cars
    99M3, 95Dakar, e46Zhp
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasedrk1 View Post
    How do you keep the lid closed when the hard top is off?
    I would love to see some pics illustrating that in the trunk or where ever the mod is to do so without the motor assembly.
    Ill take some pictures later today but im using a 95 convertible latch assembly. Cool thing about those is that are 100% manual so it has a door latch on the driver rear door panel to unlock the lid cover. it snaps close and locks its self when pushed down. It is essentially a storage compartment / second trunk.

Honestly the uses for this space are limitless, from hidden subs to air tanks for an air ride set up.
    Last edited by M3Dynamic; 01-02-2015 at 09:00 AM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 vert
    I kind of condition was the soft top and frame that you took off? I need a top on my car and from a down time stand point if I can find a top and frame from someone like you that removed it for a hardtop I should be able to unbolt my frame with the top on it and bolt on the new frame top and headliner in an afternoon versus having to leave the car at a shop for a week while they replace the top and headliner

My Cars
    99M3, 95Dakar, e46Zhp
    not any condition you'd want it in but i do have a guy who has one or two decent ones. 713-377-1502 Tim

My Cars
    2008 BMW 535i
    hey m3dynmic where in Houston are you? im from kingwood i rarely see M3 verts around mostly coupes.

My Cars
    99M3, 95Dakar, e46Zhp
    Katy area near Greenhouse and i10

My Cars
    2008 M3 AW on Fox
    Nice! I applaud removing the sunroof. Just curious. If the sunroof weighs 316lbs and your removed 150lbs. Where is the remaining 166lbs?
    08 Alpine on Fox Red - Bot 1.19.23 in Spearfish
    97 Byzanz on Black M3/4/A - Sold 7.14.21 to Behzad of Newark

97 Byzanz on Magma M3/4/A - Sold 7.7.17Jerad in CO

98 TiSilver on Black M3/4/A - Sold 7.19.17 Jono driving it
    96 Boston on Dove M3/2/5 - Sold 10.28.17 Benny and Suad
    98 Estoril on Dove M3/4/5 - Sold 9.23.13 Garrett driving it
    98 Arctic on Dove M3/4/5 - Sold - 4.2.13 - Ron driving it
    98 Estoril on Dove M3/2/5 - Sold 8.6.12 Thy driving it
    99 Estoril on Sand M3/2/5 - Sold 7.31.12 Eric driving it
    98 Arctic on Dove M3/2/5 - Sold 3.10.12 Kyle driving it
    96 Techno on Black M3/2/5-Sold 6.13.09 Ross totaled it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast