Thread: E36 swap

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe

E36 swap

Can a 1000 pound engine be swapped into an e36. What modifications will I need to make to make this happen. Suspension, frame reinforcement, engine mounts, etc

I know, very odd question, figured I get a quicker response in the general section.

thank you

My Cars
    z3
    You'll probably need to stack two E36s together to get the required strength

lmfao nah t should be possible. Is that 1000lbs with the trans? You'll definitely be looking at a LOT of reinforcing... lots of triangulating and gussetting.

Mind if I ask what the plan is here? Thats a lot of engine for a little car!

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    Haha yeah sure, late 90's cummins diesel

My Cars
    97 318i, 00 f350 +++
    lol not sure of the dimensions on the cummins but the 7.3 international in my ford is probably as wide as the whole wheelbase of my e36 if i had to guess. have you taken a tape measure to both? i mean anything is possible but if you have to widden the entire chassis of the e36 to pull it off... that and you wont just have the added weight of the motor with a transmission specked for that motor im guessing another 800-1000lbs ontop of what the motor weights.... then the size of the trans, youll never fit a trans from a one ton into an e36 trans tunnel without cutting it off the chasis and starting from scratch.... then your going to need a rear end to handle that much torque and again fit within the confines of a tiny uni body chassis. and we havent even started on the suspension/chasis/subframe reinforcement for the extra weight and torque of the truck drive line

i would love to see this pulled off but it is well beyond my capabilities personally but if you have the time, money, fabrication skills and determination i say go for it. just be sure your aware of what your getting into before you start chopping cars to pieces
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ny-sedan-parts
    e36 parts for sale

"n if your plan fell through a few times let me tell you one of the main ingredients of success is failure"

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by ogkush420 View Post
    the 7.3 international in my ford is probably as wide as the whole wheelbase of my e36 if i had to guess
    They are huge engines yeah but, even a huge engine compared to a car is relatively small. I'd imagine at least the short block engine, no trans, no accesories, will fit an E36 engine bay (probably won't have hood clearance though)

My biggest concerns would be shock tower interference with intake/exhaust manifolds and the trans tunnel. Beefing up the frame to make it strong enough is simple enough. Clearancing everything without majorly affecting chassis strength or relocating critical components will be the difficult part.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    97 318i, 00 f350 +++
    i see the shock towers being a nightmare.... without cutting the front frame rails and re fabricating most of the structural elements of the chassis i dont see a big diesel truck motor fitting in there, with everything you need to make it run. the block would fit but then you have everything else that goes with it. from one side of the motor to the other including turbos and the manifolds one side of the diesel to the other is probably 4-5 feet an e36 is only around 6 feet wide or less (they fit on my float trailer) measuring from one front wheel to the other. guys have put big gasser v8's in there before but there really is allot to measure and think about on this one.... any non factory motor swap really

edit: op didnt say anything about it being a turbo cummins but how much more clearance does that buy? i dont know one word here though really measure
    Last edited by ogkush420; 12-09-2014 at 10:37 PM.
    e36 parts for sale

"n if your plan fell through a few times let me tell you one of the main ingredients of success is failure"

My Cars
    z3
    OP be all like, hey can I swap this

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1991 325i
    well the cummins is a straight 6, so width wise in the engine bay its likely not too awful, but length wise they are definitely a pretty long engine. either way too much will hang out the front or half the engine will be through the firewall.
    1991 BMW 325i(Current Daily) (S52)
    I have carburetors, and I'm not afraid to use them!
    There are always other fish (engines) in the sea (Craigslist)
    Life is about enjoying the engine you are sitting behind.

My Cars
    EuroS50B30,e83,Frontier
    might need to cut a big rectangular shaped hole in the hood too
    "There are bold drivers and there are old drivers, but there are no bold, old drivers."

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Are you stuck on the 6cyl? I have contemplated a 4bt in an E36. There is at least one mustang Fox body running around with the 4bt. I use it as an engine bay size reference. The guys swapping 5.0 engines into the E36's are using mustang shorty headers (turned backward). Width wise it probably works. It really depends on turbo placement.

My Cars
    97 318i, 00 f350 +++
    i didnt realize the cummins was an I6 im also not very familiar with the dimensions of it. the 4bt swap sounds like a much easier idea but e36`s did come with both a 4cyl and I6(2.5L i think) diesel ive pondered getting my hands on one of these cars but they seem to be allot more common in europe then in north america. import a used or crate motor from germany maybe? i dont know all of the above projects are allot more then i can personally comit to at the moment but i admire OP ambition on this project would b cool to see it done
    e36 parts for sale