Thread: 1978 320i ssues

My Cars
    78 bmw 320i

1978 320i ssues

Okay so basically it's not starting. I replaced the starter and now it's not even cranking when I put the key in. My friend said I gotta check the starter relay and I gotta check if fuel is flowing. It turns over with a screwdriver but doesn't fire. Any tips or can anyone help me?

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    I would start with the starter solenoid, and all of the connections involved in the circuit. There is not real reason to check fuel flow until you can get it turning over properly with the key.

Good luck!
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    '15 I01Rex , '11F25
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzaman09 View Post
    I would start with the starter solenoid, and all of the connections involved in the circuit. There is not real reason to check fuel flow until you can get it turning over properly with the key.

Good luck!
    +1
    A good place to start is a wiring diagram and a multimeter, I also use a Snap-on test light that has a digital voltage display. The fuel pump relay is the tall relay on the outside of the fuse box terminal 30 is B+ (terminology that BMW uses to this day) any way these relays were suspect from day 1. But the car must crank, also being that old of a vehicle unless someone was meticulous with their maintainance, the plate that controls fuel distribution needs to be absolutely free to float (they get carboned up,it is dampened so it doesn't bounce), it sits under the big black boot on a '78 and it controls a metering pin that sits in the fuel distribution box.