Thread: How does 85 mph sound as a speed limit?

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition

How does 85 mph sound as a speed limit?

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/sto...imit/19707905/

Four state lawmakers are drafting bills for next year’s legislative session that would raise the daytime speed limit on Montana interstate highways from 75 to 80 and possibly as high as 85 mph.

State Rep. Mike Miller, R-Helmville, and state Rep.-elect Art Wittich, R-Bozeman, both said Utah, Wyoming and Idaho all have raised their speed limits above 75 and they haven’t seen any problems as a result.

“I just think our roads are engineered well and technology is such we can drive those roads safely,” Wittich said.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    1991 325i
    sounds kinda like the speed ive been driving.....
    1991 BMW 325i(Current Daily) (S52)
    I have carburetors, and I'm not afraid to use them!
    There are always other fish (engines) in the sea (Craigslist)
    Life is about enjoying the engine you are sitting behind.

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    Depending on the road, I don't see why 85mph is out of the question. Most every car built in the last 20 years is more then capable of attaining and cruising at that speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    “I just think our roads are engineered well”
    If I told my boss that, he would ask for the hard numbers proof.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    z3
    Texas

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1997 Estoril M3 Coupe
    I've been saying this for years; all 21 of them. Speed limits haven't moved much for 30 years but car technology certainly has. IF we could only make some progress in our drivers' education.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I foresee a possible American Autobahn ...... in the next 200 years. Just saying ....

They should start this here in NC first.
    Last edited by auaq; 12-01-2014 at 11:14 AM.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Little known fact ... Montana was the home of the US Autobahn back in the late 90s. In fact, their highways had no speed limit until I think it was May 1999 when they finally imposed a 75mph one.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by sullypants1 View Post
    I've been saying this for years; all 21 of them. Speed limits haven't moved much for 30 years but car technology certainly has. IF we could only make some progress in our drivers' education.
    The reason for speed limits is not to do with drivers, cars or road safety. It has to do with the strength of the roads themselves and the costs of building highways. There is a lot more force put on a road when vehicles are travelling a higher speed, so if you raise the speed limit more people will travel at this rates of speed and the road will wear out more quickly, facilitating more repairs. This is why its often cheaper on long expanses of roads for a city to put a few cops alongside it instead of just raising the speed limit. I mentioned subtly earlier that Texas has a highway with similar speed limits (maybe even 90?) but its a toll road. The toll is there to pay for the repairs when they are needed.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Well...speed has a direct correlation to deaths, so I think road safety does play a role.

One thing I noticed when I visited Montana, Wyoming and Idaho recently is that I saw a lot of truck tire debris around the highways. I wondered if maybe this was because the tires failed more under the higher speeds. Trucks usually have a lower speed limit, but I rarely see a truck observe this and I doubt cops pull them over.

State I live in has a max speed limit of 70, and that only in a few places on the freeway. In Idaho you can do 75 on some single lane country roads, and 80 on the highways. Drive 10 miles over the limit and you really cover some ground doing 90.

Then there's the fuel thing. Millions of cars going 80 will burn a LOT more fuel.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    1997 Estoril M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    The reason for speed limits is not to do with drivers, cars or road safety. It has to do with the strength of the roads themselves and the costs of building highways. There is a lot more force put on a road when vehicles are travelling a higher speed, so if you raise the speed limit more people will travel at this rates of speed and the road will wear out more quickly, facilitating more repairs. This is why its often cheaper on long expanses of roads for a city to put a few cops alongside it instead of just raising the speed limit. I mentioned subtly earlier that Texas has a highway with similar speed limits (maybe even 90?) but its a toll road. The toll is there to pay for the repairs when they are needed.
    Interesting I didn't know that but makes sense, always follow the money. Guess that's why I never see many police on toll roads when I travel up north. Last time I ran across the Pennsylvania turnpike I did 90-100 and I got passed by a diesel truck hauling a car trailer. Most fun I've ever had in a car; me, a buddie, his 2006 328xi, some skis, lotta beer, blasting Jethro Tull flying down the turnpike.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by montaillou View Post
    Well...speed has a direct correlation to deaths, so I think road safety does play a role.
    Road safety is a small factor (smaller than the mpg consideration), if road safety was really the biggest factor, we would implement an autobahn-type system where certain lanes are dedicated to travelling faster than others. Autobahns are pretty safe because of this, and places in the US that implement laws encouraging slow highway drivers to move over for faster vehicles also show lower accident rates.

Interestingly, the danger from fast drivers is slow drivers. Nobody thinks they can get rid of fast drivers by implementing or cracking down on speed limits, so again, if road safety was really a main consideration, they'd find a way to let drivers drive their preferred speed (within reason) and that will make the roads safer. About 65-80mph is where most cars hit a "brick wall" of efficiency regarding aerodynamics and mpg though, there is really no way around that directly but as cars got more and more efficient, IF speed limits got raised, they would find ways to make cars more efficient at these speeds. But why make a car that can get 60mpg at 100mph if you cant go that fast in most places?

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    M3TTst2Meth-K1300S-1100G
    speed differential is what is dangerous, so as long as they enforce a 80mph minimum limit along with max 85mph there should be no safely concerns

My Cars
    1991 325i
    Interesting I didn't know that but makes sense, always follow the money. Guess that's why I never see many police on toll roads when I travel up north. Last time I ran across the Pennsylvania turnpike I did 90-100 and I got passed by a diesel truck hauling a car trailer. Most fun I've ever had in a car; me, a buddie, his 2006 328xi, some skis, lotta beer, blasting Jethro Tull flying down the turnpike.
    Thats kinda what the PA turnpike was designed for....

My Cars
    6BT, 3VZE
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    Little known fact ... Montana was the home of the US Autobahn back in the late 90s. In fact, their highways had no speed limit until I think it was May 1999 when they finally imposed a 75mph one.
    My dad traveled through Montana back in the 60's and he said it was that way then.

Old Montana speed limit sign:

Quote Originally Posted by Rudolph320i View Post
    Thats kinda what the PA turnpike was designed for....
    No, it wasn't.

During the 1930s the Pennsylvania Turnpike was designed to improve automobile transportation across the mountains of Pennsylvania, using seven tunnels built for the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad in the 1880s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_Turnpike

My Cars
    1991 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    My dad traveled through Montana back in the 60's and he said it was that way then.

Old Montana speed limit sign:

No, it wasn't.

During the 1930s the Pennsylvania Turnpike was designed to improve automobile transportation across the mountains of Pennsylvania, using seven tunnels built for the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad in the 1880s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_Turnpike
    That was a joke, man. Good info though.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    How about for a change, shall we? 65mph in city limits and 35mph on highways. What say ye?

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Road safety is a small factor (smaller than the mpg consideration), if road safety was really the biggest factor, we would implement an autobahn-type system where certain lanes are dedicated to travelling faster than others. Autobahns are pretty safe because of this, and places in the US that implement laws encouraging slow highway drivers to move over for faster vehicles also show lower accident rates.

Interestingly, the danger from fast drivers is slow drivers. Nobody thinks they can get rid of fast drivers by implementing or cracking down on speed limits, so again, if road safety was really a main consideration, they'd find a way to let drivers drive their preferred speed (within reason) and that will make the roads safer. About 65-80mph is where most cars hit a "brick wall" of efficiency regarding aerodynamics and mpg though, there is really no way around that directly but as cars got more and more efficient, IF speed limits got raised, they would find ways to make cars more efficient at these speeds. But why make a car that can get 60mpg at 100mph if you cant go that fast in most places?

My anecdotal evidence says this is factually correct, but insignificant. I've done enough 300 mile freeway trips to know that my car gets within 3-4% of 30mpg (plus or minus) whether I'm averaging 60mph or 90mph.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    M3, 525i
    These states have the right idea, meanwhile it is reckless to drive 81mph in my state where the speed limit is 70mph.
    2004 BMW 525i - Daily Beater

The Toys/Projects:

1996 BMW ///M3
    1994 Jeep Wrangler
    1993 Range Rover Classic SWB
    1987 VW Scirocco 16V

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    My anecdotal evidence says this is factually correct, but insignificant. I've done enough 300 mile freeway trips to know that my car gets within 3-4% of 30mpg (plus or minus) whether I'm averaging 60mph or 90mph.
    3-4% may be insignificant to ONE person, but when it applies to EVERYONE - it becomes a HUGE statistic. Plus for most cars like older cars that aren't designed with efficiency in mind as much as a car getting 30mpg, the difference will be much greater. I get about 14-16mpg in my Tahoe at about 65-75mph. Going 85-90 that drops to 10mpg or less. Now apply that to everyone on their work commute, everyone driving between states on road trips... it really adds up rather quickly.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1997 Estoril M3 Coupe
    Using a OBDII scanner my 18 year old e36 gets about 27-28 mpg at 65. It drops to ~23 at 75 but holds just about 23 up to 90 mph (4000rpm!). I cruise @ 80. I have to spend the majority of my gas accelerating back to 80 after Leftlane Laggards finally hop over to the right lane. Its that 1:1 direct 5th and having actual power at cruising speed.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    THIS^!
    Rules are taught but car control is not. Add the ever increasing distractions and you have seriously dangerous folks sharing the road.
    85 mph isn't uncommon anyway, even here in a metro area. Speed laws are generally ignored around here, a person actually going at the posted limit impedes traffic flow on some roads.
    Given the vast open spaces of Montana it makes sense. Hopefully not while texting or doing one's web surfing.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue