• E39 540 M-SPORT

1 7.69%
  • E46 M3

3 23.08%
  • E39 M5

4 30.77%
  • E60 550I

1 7.69%

Thread: Need Help Deciding on my Next Beamer!

My Cars
    03 325i

Need Help Deciding on my Next Beamer!

Hey guys,

I am kinda torn between a few BMWs for my next purchase and would like some help. Here’s a little background info about me. I am 22 years old (yes I know what you’re thinking, another young kid on the forums), I’ll be graduating in about 6 months or so and wanted to treat myself to a nice graduation gift. I am an absolute BMW nut and know quite a bit about them. At the age of 19 I was able to save up enough money to buy my first BMW, an 04 330XI 6 speed manual. Absolutely loved it, however I decided to get rid of it after 2 years due to becoming a broke college kid, I told myself I have just one more year of college left and I’ll be able to get back into another BMW. I think im done with the e46 chassis for now and I am looking into a couple choices. An e90 330, e90 335, e39 540 sport, e46 m3, e60 550i or e39 m5. (all of which must be manual transmissions of course) While I owned the e46 I did all the work on my own, everything from oil changes to spark plugs and disa valve. So I would say I am pretty good when it comes to DIY projects.

My main question here is..which of the above cars would be the more practical, cost effective and fun combo to go with? I am torn between the e90 330 and e39 540 sport more than anything else, but I just threw in a couple of the other options because I wouldn’t mind any of those. The e46 m3 is at the bottom of the list due to the older looking interior. Yes I do know that the M5 is one hell of a machine and most will probably say its too much for a guy y age and as as daily driver. I also know of the expensive parts such as brakes..and to stay away from anything pre 01. I also know about the 335 and its hpfp issues, walnut blasting, and turbo wastgate rattles. Is the e60 too much of an older man car for me?

Any thoughts and opinions would help greatly. I have a few months before making a purchase but I am extremely meticulous and like to plan way ahead before biting the bullet when it comes to my cars.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    335i.

My Cars
    '12 135i Dinan S2
    335i or the E46 M3. Everything else on your list will require far too much maintenance. The fact that you're asking and seriously considering them leads me to believe you haven't really weight the pros and cons of going from a relatively simple and efficient inline 6 to a more complex V8. If you're at all worried about maintenance, forget any of the V8s. In terms of the driving experience and minimizing maintenance costs, the 335i and M3 are the undisputed leaders.

Past: 1999 Techno Violet Metallic M3
    Present: 2012 BMW 135i DCT Dinan S2, 1985 BMW 325e

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    I voted the e39 M5 because your situation sounds similar to mine last year and I went with the e39 M5.

I graduated college spring of last year (22 years old), and in August I bought an e39 M5. My search criteria was similar to yours to. Mine was any late 80s (must have air bag), 90s or early 00s BMW with a stick shift for sale within driving distance of where I lived. It also needed to be in decent condition. The first car I found that fit that criteria happened to be an e39 M5.

However I will say that I did have the advantage of splitting the purchase and running cost with my twin brother. We share the car.

Otherwise, I would strongly suggest the e39 540i. You only live once, if you can afford it, do it! If you can't afford it, you should probably re-consider buying any used BMW.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    z3
    Why is a Z3 or Z4 M Coupe not an option? You are the perfect candidate. Young so no family to need back seats for, probably looking for something stylish, fun, and fast...

What would be my second choice is also not on the list, a 135i. Faster than a 335i, more nimble, and IMHO a LOT more fun to drive. Put a JB4 on it and you can justify a 1M bodykit on it and have the coolest car of probably anyone you know...

Surprised E60 is even on the list. Those things are bloated and really not a great drive. Of the cars on the list I'd have to choose E39 M5 or E46 M3. But around that age I sold my M5 because I wanted something more nimble and fun to drive. I bought a Z3 M roadster and since then I've been hooked

Quote Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
    335i or the E46 M3. Everything else on your list will require far too much maintenance.
    Wait... you think an E39 540i... will require MORE mainteance... than a turbocharged BMW out of warranty (that while under warranty was NOTORIOUS for being unreliable) or an E46 M3 which needs regular valve shim adjustments and many potential failures?

The number of cylinders is NOT the only factor that determines engine reliability...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    03 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Why is a Z3 or Z4 M Coupe not an option? You are the perfect candidate. Young so no family to need back seats for, probably looking for something stylish, fun, and fast...

What would be my second choice is also not on the list, a 135i. Faster than a 335i, more nimble, and IMHO a LOT more fun to drive. Put a JB4 on it and you can justify a 1M bodykit on it and have the coolest car of probably anyone you know...

Surprised E60 is even on the list. Those things are bloated and really not a great drive. Of the cars on the list I'd have to choose E39 M5 or E46 M3. But around that age I sold my M5 because I wanted something more nimble and fun to drive. I bought a Z3 M roadster and since then I've been hooked

Wait... you think an E39 540i... will require MORE mainteance... than a turbocharged BMW out of warranty (that while under warranty was NOTORIOUS for being unreliable) or an E46 M3 which needs regular valve shim adjustments and many potential failures?

The number of cylinders is NOT the only factor that determines engine reliability...
    Good point! Never really thought about the 135s...I just like the styling of the e60. Maybe I need to start living and acting my age and change up the list of cars lol

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330Ci
    E30 is the correct answer

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    I test drove a one year old used 135is with a 6 speed recently, it was a brilliant drive. It had better, smoother, low end torque then my M5, which is a car known for it's low end torque.
    If I had actually been in the market for a car that day, I would have been hard pressed to pass it up.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3

My Cars
    '12 135i Dinan S2

Out of warranty? Who is stupid enough to buy an out of warranty N54 powered BMW when they're 22? I would never advocate this. In fact, I likely wouldn't consider an N55 powered BMW out of warranty either. Thanks for taking my statement out of context, and thanks for choosing to belittle me with a condescending statement like, "The number of cylinders is NOT the only factor that determines engine reliability..." Thanks for enlightening me, I had no fvcking clue!

Before you dismount from your high horse, I'd like to make it perfectly clear that an E39 540i or M5 (somewhere between 15 and 12 years old) WILL absolutely require more initial maintenance than a 335i which is only 7-8 years old at the maximum. Regardless, the E39 is much easier for the shade tree mechanic to work on than the E90. Bang for your buck, performance wise and with maintenance in mind, it's difficult to beat what the E46 M3 and E90 335i have to offer. I'm very familiar with the HPFP woes of the early N54 motors. I would have no qualms about owning one, with a CPO warranty.

I stand by my initial statement. I think given OP's age and needs, the 335i (preferably a CPO) or an E46 M3 with a stack of maintenance records is a better buy. A Z4 or Z4M coupe would certainly be nice, but we need to be realistic about their price premium. OP drives an E46 325i and is considering everything from a an E90 330i, which can be had for less than $15,000 and a 135i which can easily reach into the low to mid 30s given a it's a CPO. Additionally, he put the E60 550i and the E46 M3 on a list of possible candidates. Is this a joke? Lest we forget, he did refer to them all as 'Beamers'.

My Cars
    z3
    If you think an E46 M3 is more reliable and cheaper to maintain vs an E39 540i... then I think that says enough. Cheers

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    I'm sure an z4M is gonna be out of OP's price range. OP also said "practical" which pretty much puts the kibosh on any z3 or z4.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    '12 135i Dinan S2
    If you think an E46 M3 is more reliable and cheaper to maintain vs an E39 540i... then I think that says enough. Cheers
    You're putting words in my mouth. I'm beginning to think your reading comprehension is severely inept. Did you even read what I wrote?

My Cars
    2003.5 M3 Coupe,99M Coupe,99 M3 Vert
    I vote e46m3 or a 135. Both lots of fun. Don't get a bigger car like the m5 or 540 at 22

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by apollo322 View Post
    I vote e46m3 or a 135. Both lots of fun. Don't get a bigger car like the m5 or 540 at 22
    It is all about perspective. For me the M5 was a downsize at 22 years old coming from exclusively driving large sedans since I received my license.
    Granted I wouldn't turn my nose up at an e46m3 or 135i either, those and the m5 or 540i would put a smile on just about any 22 year old's face. At least any 22 year old I know.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzaman09 View Post
    It is all about perspective. For me the M5 was a downsize at 22 years old coming from exclusively driving large sedans since I received my license.
    Granted I wouldn't turn my nose up at an e46m3 or 135i either, those and the m5 or 540i would put a smile on just about any 22 year old's face. At least any 22 year old I know.
    ya but ur weird as heck

lol ...jk!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    03 540 M Sport
    if you can have $1000-$1500 available at all times for repairs, 540 M Sport all the way. This article sums it all up:

http://carbuying.jalopnik.com/four-r...t-n-1659284463