Thread: Angel Eye - if one bulb blows, do both lights go out?

My Cars
    2008 BMW 335xi

Angel Eye - if one bulb blows, do both lights go out?

Getting an error on my dash and both the angel eyes on the passenger side are out. Seems odd that both blew at once. Fuse is fine - anything else I can check, and if one bulb is out, does the other one not work either? My car is a 2008 335XI sedan and the bulb I'm talking about is 63-11-7-161-444. Also, Error went away one day but returned the next which makes me think it's either just one bulb or something downstream from them.

My Cars
    95//M3- 01 Chevy 2500 HD
    Factory head lamps or aftermarket?

I had a problem once and I turned out that a wire had rubbed and shorted out. These were wired in aftermarket of course...
    AFE 3.5" intake, 3.5" Euro HFM, 24# Injectors, TMS Chip, TMS Pulleys, TMS Shorty Headers, AA Track Pipe, Borla Catback, Billstein Sport Shocks, H&R Springs, TMS Adjustable trailing arms, X-Brace, TMS Front and Rear Strut Tower Braces, UUC Evo III SSK, UUC Shift Nob, DSSR selector rod, Fan delete.....

My Cars
    2008 BMW 335xi
    Factory. I just read elsewhere though that one bulb controls both rings.

My Cars
    z3
    One angel eye bulb for each headlight, it controls both rings.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    The angel eyes are essentially a fiber optic setup, so as the other guys have said, one bulb for both rings.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53
    Replace both left and right halo bulbs at the same time.. Can't tell you how many customers don't under stand why they get an estimate for 2 bulbs when only one is out... It's like hey genius.. Same amount of burn time... It's not much more labor to replace both bulbs now.. But if you come back in 5 miles after one more bump.. It's going to cost more..
    2006 X5 L83 5.3 6l80 swapped in progress
    1999 528i 5.7L 4l60e swapped w/ 31 spline 8.8 cobra diff
    2007 ZX-10r - sold
    1987 R-10 SWB L83 5.3L 6L80e swapped

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by modular93fox View Post
    Replace both left and right halo bulbs at the same time.. Can't tell you how many customers don't under stand why they get an estimate for 2 bulbs when only one is out... It's like hey genius.. Same amount of burn time... It's not much more labor to replace both bulbs now.. But if you come back in 5 miles after one more bump.. It's going to cost more..
    Its ridiculous to me that anyone charges $$$ to swap out bulbs

People buy a $60,000+ car from the dealership, then they charge them (probably the hourly rate - $120 or so!) to spend 5 seconds replacing bulbs...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53
    And says so the customer that can't change it themselves... Your paying someone to change it.. E60 is about 1/2 hour. That includes : getting the car from the lot, writing the estimate, depending if the customer is in the waiting room or not depends if we park the car outside... More time wasted.. Then approved , go to parts.... Wait for parts.. Then install bulb... Then send to wash. .. Absolutely 1/2 hour or more depending on what shop you go to!
    2006 X5 L83 5.3 6l80 swapped in progress
    1999 528i 5.7L 4l60e swapped w/ 31 spline 8.8 cobra diff
    2007 ZX-10r - sold
    1987 R-10 SWB L83 5.3L 6L80e swapped

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    I'll see your ...

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Its ridiculous to me that anyone charges $$$ to swap out bulbs

People buy a $60,000+ car from the dealership, then they charge them (probably the hourly rate - $120 or so!) to spend 5 seconds replacing bulbs...

Honestly, only some incandescent tail light bulbs are easy to change anymore. Some of those silly front side-marker bulbs require removal of the headlight to replace.

If it were so easy, people would do it themselves. But you know what? You wouldn't get free coffee, a wash and vacuum and 30 minutes to check out the latest models.

More often than not, if that bulb CAN be replaced in the proverbial "5 seconds", the advisor will do it in the lane.

- - - Updated - - -

And I'll raise you ...

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...e-a-light-bulb-!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.