Thread: Wiring question as I install facelift headlights

My Cars
    E90 M3

Wiring question as I install facelift headlights

I'm putting oem facelift headlights on my 2000 540. Since there's an extra bulb (angel eye bulb), what should I wire it into? I've noticed that people who modify their stock pre-facelift lights with aftermarket rings will wire them into the parking lights. When I'm driving with the parking lights on and use the turn indicator, one side will flash. If the angel eye bulb is wired into the parking lights, will the angel eyes flash too (I assume they will.)? What do you recommend I do as far as what I wire where? Thanks in advance.
    F10 535i

Formerly Owned:

2000 540i/6
    E23 733i
    E90 M3
    E53 X5

My Cars
    E90 M3
    bump - need help with this
    F10 535i

Formerly Owned:

2000 540i/6
    E23 733i
    E90 M3
    E53 X5

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528iT/5 SC
    I have a 2000 528iT with pre-facelift headlights and aftermarket CCFL AEs. I wired them to turn on with the ignition so they act like DRL. I used a +12 volt always hot wire, and ignition wire and a relay.

I tapped into the battery + terminal on the engine. Some say that there's too much amperage at this wire but I put a 15 amp fuse at the terminal end of the wire (12 gauge) to guard against burning up that wire. You could use one of the wires in the DME box if you want. I'm assuming you have the 20 pin diagnostic port in the engine compartment. There is a purple with white stripe wire that goes to that port. It is an ignition wire. I spliced into that wire to activate the solenoid in the relay.

I did all this about 7 years ago and have had zero problems.
    Much modified VF Supercharger Kit tuned by Tuning Tech FS, M5 front sports seats, CVV to catch can conversion, Boost Gauge, Schmiedmann header to rear muffler high flow exhaust, Header Ceramic coated inside & out, Exhaust heat wrapped from flanges after header to before CATs, Kicker sub with dedicated 200 watt amp, CCFL angel eyes, CF facelift kidney grills, Quaife LS diff ,Super duty cooling kit, Electric fan controlled by temperature adjustable 2 speed controller (JimLev design)

John

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Uh... wires don't have amperage, they carry current... they will only carry what is drawn by the lamp on the circuit.. unless there is a short to ground of course.

A 5w angel eye bulb should pull about 0.36A.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    70 Camaro & 99 323i
    You can just tap them into the foglight wiring like i did. That way they are on a switch.
    70Camaro RS & 99 323i Sedan

My Cars
    99 M Rdstr, 92 325ic,
    Your turn signal has 3 wires going to it. I used that. Kept the turn signal the way it was and spliced into the parking wire

My Cars
    70 Camaro & 99 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by Wojtek79 View Post
    Your turn signal has 3 wires going to it. I used that. Kept the turn signal the way it was and spliced into the parking wire
    This is not entirely true for all cases. My 99 540it only uses 2 wires for the turn signals. Thats why in my case i had to route to foglight harness unless i wanted DRL setup.
    70Camaro RS & 99 323i Sedan

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528iT/5 SC
    Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post
    Uh... wires don't have amperage, they carry current... they will only carry what is drawn by the lamp on the circuit.. unless there is a short to ground of course.

A 5w angel eye bulb should pull about 0.36A.
    Yes, I understand that completely, but, as you say, a short to ground (chaffed wire) would be a problem. I'm not sure that my fuse would even prevent the wire from heating the insulation to the burning point but it's there anyway. Plus the wire is firmly secured so chaffing would be impossible.

Maybe I should have said "too much amperage available at that connection" so as not to cause misunderstanding.
    Last edited by jstern; 11-24-2014 at 04:39 PM.
    Much modified VF Supercharger Kit tuned by Tuning Tech FS, M5 front sports seats, CVV to catch can conversion, Boost Gauge, Schmiedmann header to rear muffler high flow exhaust, Header Ceramic coated inside & out, Exhaust heat wrapped from flanges after header to before CATs, Kicker sub with dedicated 200 watt amp, CCFL angel eyes, CF facelift kidney grills, Quaife LS diff ,Super duty cooling kit, Electric fan controlled by temperature adjustable 2 speed controller (JimLev design)

John

My Cars
    2012 JSW 2.5

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by extra View Post
    I'm putting oem facelift headlights on my 2000 540. Since there's an extra bulb (angel eye bulb), what should I wire it into? I've noticed that people who modify their stock pre-facelift lights with aftermarket rings will wire them into the parking lights. When I'm driving with the parking lights on and use the turn indicator, one side will flash. If the angel eye bulb is wired into the parking lights, will the angel eyes flash too (I assume they will.)? What do you recommend I do as far as what I wire where? Thanks in advance.
    You should be ok to wire them to parking lights, since parking light/turn signal bulb has 2 filaments (one for turn signal, and other is for parking light) and you need the tap into the latter
    Lazy Saturday drive in my E34: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzvZgPnOos