eBMWParts

Thread: BC Racing BR/Swift decision

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster

BC Racing BR/Swift decision

Needing a suspension upgrade on my 98 M Roadster, and after a couple of weeks of research and consideration of budget, I'm settling on the BC Racing BR coilovers with Swift springs. My application will by 90% street driving. I know there are multiple threads here on suspension setups, and even more opinions. The reason for my post is to hear from those who've gone this route, and pros/cons. My budget ends at $1,500. So I'm obviously restricted.......

My Cars
    E36 325i
    I have ridden in many cars with BC cpilovers and regardless of spring rates I found them to be slightly on the harsher side and bounce a bit over bumpy roads. Performance wise I don't think they're that great either, but that's just my opinion.

I personally think Fortune Auto are one of the best budget coilovers around for both comfort and performance

GGray is offline Did someone say racetrack BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    A few BMW's...
    Quote Originally Posted by 4ABHGE View Post
    I have ridden in many cars with BC cpilovers and regardless of spring rates I found them to be slightly on the harsher side and bounce a bit over bumpy roads. Performance wise I don't think they're that great either, but that's just my opinion.

I personally think Fortune Auto are one of the best budget coilovers around for both comfort and performance
    Based on what I have seen from Fortune Auto the spring rates are normally way off...

We sell ISC, I use them on my car I take to the track when I instruct. I drive to Road Atlanta, and barber with mine. We have a lot of people using them on track and street. They ride decent but they are like most ALL coilover suspensions a short stroke limited travel piece.

If you do 90% street use you might want to look at just putting some Bilsteins and H&R race or sport springs on the car...
    Gary Gray

If you can take it apart you can make it faster!

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster
    It will be primarily street driving. I don't want to "float" down the road, but I do want better absorption on the roads none of us enjoy driving. Obviously the travel distance is reduced on an M Roadster. My expectations may not be realistic for this little go-cart/car. I'm VERY interested in the "SWIFT" springs. Based on all I've read they are the best spring going. My main issue is bottoming out H..A..R..D. Like tooth rattling hard. Maybe just a stiffer spring set is all I need. I'm terrified I'm going to drop $1,350 on a setup and gain nothing! I really need some good pointers here.

My Cars
    A few BMW's...
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwvolfan View Post
    It will be primarily street driving. I don't want to "float" down the road, but I do want better absorption on the roads none of us enjoy driving. Obviously the travel distance is reduced on an M Roadster. My expectations may not be realistic for this little go-cart/car. I'm VERY interested in the "SWIFT" springs. Based on all I've read they are the best spring going. My main issue is bottoming out H..A..R..D. Like tooth rattling hard. Maybe just a stiffer spring set is all I need. I'm terrified I'm going to drop $1,350 on a setup and gain nothing! I really need some good pointers here.
    I do this for a living and have been doing German cars for 30 years..... If he swift springs are OK not a huge deal... We sell hypercoil springs which are what most top rated pro teams use not swift.

If you are that worried about ride you need to 100% stay away from a coilover set up I have been to Chattanooga numerous times roads seem hit or miss for how good or bad they are.

If you are not tracking the car and you worry about ride bilstiens and sport springs are all you need. You can do a ton of things to make it handle better. Sway bars, stiffer bushings. Bushings can be stiffened up in a few locations with zero ride issues.

If you are stuck on coilovers the swift springs will not keel or help bottoming out. I run hypercoil springs on my isc's just because the touring is so heavy in back. The ISC springs were tested by AMF suspension and they were right on rated rates.

If you need more detailed information email me at my work email below.
    Gary Gray

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster
    Sent you a PM, if you'd please reply with contact info I will give you a call after the holiday. Monday.....

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by 4ABHGE View Post

I agree. Their spring rates are right on point, and perform better than anything I have had experience with in the 1500 and under price bracket.

Not to mention, customer service is amazing.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Gary at BimmerWorld is a great guy and I doubt he would ever steer anyone wrong.

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2015 X1 & 2000 M5
    Fortune Auto > ISC all day. My friend bought ISC coilovers from bimmerworld and they sent him the wrong springs and it took a month or so of e-mailing back and forth to get them to fix the issue. I'd stay far away from them.

My Cars
    A few BMW's...
    Quote Originally Posted by e39hamann View Post
    Fortune Auto > ISC all day. My friend bought ISC coilovers from bimmerworld and they sent him the wrong springs and it took a month or so of e-mailing back and forth to get them to fix the issue. I'd stay far away from them.
    I know who you are talking about.. and lets just not go there.... So your comment is 100% off base...
    Gary Gray

My Cars
    Chevy, xBMW's, LS Volvo
    Any reason why you specifically 'need' the Swift springs? In all reality, springs are springs. If they're accurate down to the inch/lbs, or even within 20-30 in/lbs, is that really noticeable on the stret? No, it's not, it's something a racaer is going to require to perfectly dial in the setup, but it's not necessary for a streetcar. It's unlikely the springs included with a majority of the brand-name coilovers out there come with springs that are far from their ratings.

And yes, I also say run from the BC's. I have no experience with Fortune Autos, but Jaze seems to be quite professional and experienced, and from my conversations with him recently the guy REALLY knows his stuff. But for 100% street driving - why are we looking at coilovers anyways??

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by e39hamann View Post
    Just because the springs were wrong at first doesn't have any bearing on how the ICS coil-overs handle and the car.

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    83 533 92 325 97 m3
    After riding on the BC swift combo on my e34 touring almost a yr I will say you can do better I have adjusted mine preload included until the cows came to the shop and said eat more chicken! With mine the rebound is not valved correctly on the front back is spot on. Thats what you get with certain packages not enough R@D. I would use a dinan koni setup on your litghter car or TC Kline coilover that uses koni inserts with top adjustable on rear. I use the dinan springs on my e36s with konis and use the revalved top adjustable from TC Kline on rear they cost more but its the best balanced setup I have found on e36.

Jimmie