Thread: Just got my 07 , 550i , 6 speed manual I have a question

My Cars
    2007 BMW 550i (manual)

Exclamation Just got my 07 , 550i , 6 speed manual I have a question

Hello and thank you to who ever can help with the question (s) that I have. So to start off my name's douglas and this is my first Bmw and my first stick shift vehicle. My credit sucks so I asked my girlfriend if she could please help with the financing and I'll put the down / monthly & then some.. she helped me now when I first started driving it about 3 weeks ago I sucked at stick and now I'm pretty good, but my girl and her ex have kids together and he's all into racing cars his whole life so she told him that he should teach me how to drive the stick a little better and smoother because she's used to his driving. But as I progressed this month I no longer really needed his help I shift pretty damn good aND hAvent stalled out in a while. So long story short she needs to finalize her divorce in court in Arizona and we live in California she practically begged me to go support her through it and meet the kids now mind you i have to stay at his house which I really don't want to do but her range rovers in the shop and she flat out needed me so I drove her out there in my new bmw and as soon as we walk in he is all happy and asks for the keys to the bmw now I didn't know she promised him that he could drive it because I told her I no longer needed his help, so everyone is around us and to make it as least awkward of a trip cuz I have to stay with him I gulp my spit and I hand him the key , i follow him out to the car we get in along with his nephew who gets in the back seat now he starts driving to this street in the middle of nowhere, he starts punching it he switch gears and I think he skipped gears If that makes sense and I felt the hardest tug of a shift and the oldest slamming noise I've ever heard in a car, multiple times each shift my face is turning red I want to tell him what the f*ck is your problem? ? But mind u I know Nothing about racing so I don't know if that's what u have to do but my instinct was to yell at him and just beat the man but I didn't want to make the trip awkard or scare the kid so after he's done what feels like to me beating my car senseless like they did to Rodney king I simply say I've driven very fast I've reved up the engine and red lined but I nevery slammed the sh*t out of the transmission like that, now I don't remember what he said cuz I was very upset, so we get back and I go through the rest of this trip I don't want to be on what so ever, we go home back to cali and I'm arguing with my woman the whole way home and we never argue and she's defending him saying he would never do anything to harm the car on purpose and that I'm not used to racing and I don't know anything about it which I don't but I recall her saying he shifted very smoothe and all I felt was what I described earlier.. i described it to her and she said she never was in the car when he raced which I know is a lie.. anyway the next day I start the car up it seemed to shake like run rough for about a minute and I've never felt that before and I forgot to mention but he said that the clutch goes in to far and it feels like it's going out now I don't know if he was saying that cuz he destroyed it or what but that's why I'm asking you guys for your opinions on the whole situation, am I over reacting and the bmw is made to be slammed the shit out of or was the guy being a dick and driving it like it was stolen now I'll tell you I didn't hear any grinding of the gears at all. I just don't want problems with the transmission or the clutch because I used most of my savings on the down and I wish I could have stayed home, secondly I have another question when I bought the bmw a few days later power steering light comes on and says mal function so I checked the fluid and it was very low so I topped it off and I checked the radiator fluid and it was at a bare minimum so I topped that off aswel, just yesterday a few weeks later I checked the radiator fluid and power steering, power steering is half empty and the radiator is back down to the minimum so I topped them both off again and I checked the oil and it passes the full mark and goes all the way onto the spring of the dipstick which can't be good right? The oil looks good though... and also about the other question I forgot to add in that earlier I let go of the clutch and I think the rpms were sticking it was reving up bUT not going any faster and then it went back to normal so I don't know if that could be because of what her ex did or if it is another issue , i have a mechanic looking at the car 2 moro but I'm just frustrated I don't want to argue with my girl anymore and I'd just like opinions of you guys with experience, thank you so much sorry if there is typos I am typing on my phone and as fast as I can

My Cars
    545i, 740i, 320i
    Holy hell, that's an impressive stream of conciousness.

1. If your girlfriend is getting a divorce from her husband, why does she still stay with him?
    2. You need to learn to make decisions for yourself. Going and supporting your girlfriend through her divorce was a good thing, but if you didn't want to stay with her ex (for obvious reasons) then you should have put your foot down and stayed at a motel/hotel. Equally, when her ex wanted to drive your car against your wishes, you should have said no. Finally when you were uncomfortable with the way he was driving your car you should have said so.

As to your specific questions:
    If your car is well maintained and his driving was spirited rather than wilfully harmful then your car shouldn't have sustained any lingering damage.

Having said that, overfilling an engine with oil is never ideal. Check the engine oil again with the engine cold and the car on a flat surface.

It sounds like you may have a power steering fluid leak and a coolant leak. Both are relatively common on BMWs. The powersteering leak should be relatively easy to rectify. The coolant leak could be a simple fix or a very expensive fix depending on where the leak is coming from.

Did you get the car inspected before you bought it? It sounds like you have just bought a V8 BMW without a prior mechanical inspection, and have maxed out your savings and credit on the purchase price leaving you nothing for maintenance. I hope that's not the case, because if it is. Welcome to financial ruin.
    Last edited by Cheyne; 11-22-2014 at 09:36 PM.

My Cars
    1991 325i
    Yep, Cheyne about covered it there.
    1991 BMW 325i(Current Daily) (S52)
    I have carburetors, and I'm not afraid to use them!
    There are always other fish (engines) in the sea (Craigslist)
    Life is about enjoying the engine you are sitting behind.

I hate letting other people drive my car

My Cars
    2000 2.5i Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by dougifreshhh60 View Post
    Hello and thank you to who ever can help with the question (s) that I have. So to start off my name's douglas and this is my first Bmw and my first stick shift vehicle. My credit sucks so I asked my girlfriend if she could please help with the financing and I'll put the down / monthly & then some.. she helped me now when I first started driving it about 3 weeks ago I sucked at stick and now I'm pretty good, but my girl and her ex have kids together and he's all into racing cars his whole life so she told him that he should teach me how to drive the stick a little better and smoother because she's used to his driving. But as I progressed this month I no longer really needed his help I shift pretty damn good aND hAvent stalled out in a while. So long story short she needs to finalize her divorce in court in Arizona and we live in California she practically begged me to go support her through it and meet the kids now mind you i have to stay at his house which I really don't want to do but her range rovers in the shop and she flat out needed me so I drove her out there in my new bmw and as soon as we walk in he is all happy and asks for the keys to the bmw now I didn't know she promised him that he could drive it because I told her I no longer needed his help, so everyone is around us and to make it as least awkward of a trip cuz I have to stay with him I gulp my spit and I hand him the key , i follow him out to the car we get in along with his nephew who gets in the back seat now he starts driving to this street in the middle of nowhere, he starts punching it he switch gears and I think he skipped gears If that makes sense and I felt the hardest tug of a shift and the oldest slamming noise I've ever heard in a car, multiple times each shift my face is turning red I want to tell him what the f*ck is your problem? ? But mind u I know Nothing about racing so I don't know if that's what u have to do but my instinct was to yell at him and just beat the man but I didn't want to make the trip awkard or scare the kid so after he's done what feels like to me beating my car senseless like they did to Rodney king I simply say I've driven very fast I've reved up the engine and red lined but I nevery slammed the sh*t out of the transmission like that, now I don't remember what he said cuz I was very upset, so we get back and I go through the rest of this trip I don't want to be on what so ever, we go home back to cali and I'm arguing with my woman the whole way home and we never argue and she's defending him saying he would never do anything to harm the car on purpose and that I'm not used to racing and I don't know anything about it which I don't but I recall her saying he shifted very smoothe and all I felt was what I described earlier.. i described it to her and she said she never was in the car when he raced which I know is a lie.. anyway the next day I start the car up it seemed to shake like run rough for about a minute and I've never felt that before and I forgot to mention but he said that the clutch goes in to far and it feels like it's going out now I don't know if he was saying that cuz he destroyed it or what but that's why I'm asking you guys for your opinions on the whole situation, am I over reacting and the bmw is made to be slammed the shit out of or was the guy being a dick and driving it like it was stolen now I'll tell you I didn't hear any grinding of the gears at all. I just don't want problems with the transmission or the clutch because I used most of my savings on the down and I wish I could have stayed home, secondly I have another question when I bought the bmw a few days later power steering light comes on and says mal function so I checked the fluid and it was very low so I topped it off and I checked the radiator fluid and it was at a bare minimum so I topped that off aswel, just yesterday a few weeks later I checked the radiator fluid and power steering, power steering is half empty and the radiator is back down to the minimum so I topped them both off again and I checked the oil and it passes the full mark and goes all the way onto the spring of the dipstick which can't be good right? The oil looks good though... and also about the other question I forgot to add in that earlier I let go of the clutch and I think the rpms were sticking it was reving up bUT not going any faster and then it went back to normal so I don't know if that could be because of what her ex did or if it is another issue , i have a mechanic looking at the car 2 moro but I'm just frustrated I don't want to argue with my girl anymore and I'd just like opinions of you guys with experience, thank you so much sorry if there is typos I am typing on my phone and as fast as I can
    So basically your screwed, the car is in your girlfriends name, so if you don't do as she says. Girlfriend will probably report the car stolen? and you lose your down payment? This is why you don't mix finances unless your married legally. If you break up with said girlfriend, whats to keep her from screwing you over saying it was her car in the first place?

My Cars
    z3
    I just read all that lol

This seems like an OT thread ... lets see what becomes of it lol

Sounds like he is abusing her trust of him to get at you by beating the car up. He was maybe not trying to damage it intentionally, but I could very well see that he was trying to drive a car unfamiliar to him at 11/10ths of its limits and without any consideration of what could happen to the car, and may have damaged it in the process, which he very well probably knew could happen. Though that is to say his intentions were not to damage it, his intentions were to drive it in a way in which there was a high potential of him damaging it.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    E36/4/5
    I wish this thread was in OT

My Cars
    E36 M3 , E39 540is
    maybe a mod could move it
    "Racing is life, anything that happens before or after is just waiting" -Steve McQueen

"Sex is safe & racing is dangerous" -Hans-Joachim Stuck

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    OP needs to consider using more than 1 paragraph. I didn't even feel like attempting to read it.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    E36 M3 , E39 540is
    cliffs notes
    OP messed up
    car is ruined
    Girlfriend will probably leave him & take the car ( its in her name)

At least that what I got skimming through the novel
    Last edited by rob22sf; 11-26-2014 at 12:58 AM.
    "Racing is life, anything that happens before or after is just waiting" -Steve McQueen

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53
    Your decision tinker him drive it is your fault ... Take it to a quality Indy or dealer .. The either need to duplicate a REAL problem or face a diag fee... No way to measure clutch thickness on a 550 w/o trans removal.. Then mine aswell replace
    2006 X5 L83 5.3 6l80 swapped in progress
    1999 528i 5.7L 4l60e swapped w/ 31 spline 8.8 cobra diff
    2007 ZX-10r - sold
    1987 R-10 SWB L83 5.3L 6L80e swapped

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Quote Originally Posted by modular93fox View Post
    Your decision tinker him drive it is your fault ...
    Quote Originally Posted by modular93fox View Post
    Then mine aswell replace
    Too much rum in the eggnog?
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    E36 M3 , E39 540is
    Right? Or its a mix of Ebonics & Tagalog.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    A+ post by Op as I'm speechless and where to start reading from. Someone guide me please.

My Cars
    E36 M3 , E39 540is
    Read post #10

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by rob22sf View Post
    Read post #10
    Too short. Now I want to read a bed time story.

My Cars
    E36 M3 , E39 540is
    ROFL go read Yoders post on lesbians

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by rob22sf View Post
    ROFL go read Yoders post on lesbians