Thread: new seats help?

new seats help?

Im looking at switching out the stock e36 m3 seats for something with a little more hold. Ive been looking online and have found a few pairs of used Brides or Corbeaus, but those would run me about 800 with brackets and rails. On the other hand I have found knock offs for 450 withs rails and brackets. Is there any big reason why the knock off would be a bad idea or does anyone have a set of the cheaper NRG or universal race seats and have an opinion this is all paired pricing.

My Cars
    z3
    Let me paraphrase this for you:
    Any reason why replicas of a critical safety component might not be a good idea?

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    If it's just for use on the street, as long as OP buckles up it'll probably be fine. After all, it's not like a cheap knockoff would use poor metal for the brackets that might break loose in an accident and kill him...probably.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by montaillou View Post
    If it's just for use on the street, as long as OP buckles up it'll probably be fine. After all, it's not like a cheap knockoff would use poor metal for the brackets that might break loose in an accident and kill him...probably.
    The seat bases in replica racing seats are notorious for snapping in the event of a collision, completely negating any safety components installed in the car and allowing the occupant to fall backwards, causing back injury or worse. There are many reports of these seats, seat bases or rails failing in normal use as well. So yes, a cheap knockoff would use "poor" metal as you say (because its cheap, and its a cheap knockoff)

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!