Thread: SMASHED my car into a lamppost...write off? i have pics 1997 328i

My Cars
    1997 e36 328i

SMASHED my car into a lamppost...write off? i have pics 1997 328i

Its snowing heavily in Buffalo NY right now (surprise)
    I know its hard to assess damage but what are the chances my car gets written off? it appears their is damage to the bumper (cracked), turn signal, passenger headlight is not secured in place, hood is bent, passenger fender is bent, metal above bumper, below light is twisted pretty good, plastic wheel well is FUBAR... i slid into the lampost going about 10-15mph nothing i could do about it i doubt the frame is in that bad of shape. I was wondering what are the chances that the car is written off? and also do any of you have an idea of what the write off amount would be? thanks the car is a 1997 bmw 328i with 152k miles

My Cars
    E36/4/5
    Pretty easily when the car is worth $2500

My Cars
    z3
    Its all body damage. Could easily be repaired. May or may not be written off, depending on your insurance co. If they are OK'd to use used parts, it will be restorable. Either way I'd buy it back and fix it. As easy as bolting off the old parts and bolting the new ones on, what that sort of superficial damage theres not likely to be any major underlying issues

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    e36 - 1998 323is
    Get new tires too.
    1998 323is - m50 intake manifold / 328is exhaust / Shark Injector

My Cars
    08 335i
    I had very similar damage on my e46 and it cost just under $2,000 to fix.

Bumper and headlight lens were the only new parts needed for my car, they were able to straighten out the quarter panel and the hood wasn't bent like your. So I would say yours will be totaled. Bodyshop labor is expensive....

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Retail price of that damage will exceed book value so yes, it's a write off. It also looks like an easy and relatively cheap fix using second hand parts and your own labor.
    Take the money, fix yourself and carry on.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue