Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: no power to fuel pump

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    Write it down as you go.

Now I got a question is pin 85 on the DME relay a ground like it is on the fuel pump relay?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

And I will my good sir

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by bimm3rFan View Post
    Now I got a question is pin 85 on the DME relay a ground like it is on the fuel pump relay?
    Yes. Not a constant ground though. It is a "switched ground" that comes directly from the DME itself. (ignition on and cranking)

This is why it is important to know exactly which pins, in which relay socket, and when (ignition on, cranking, etc) you are measuring them. If you never get a voltage reading between 85 and 86 inside the DME relay socket then you will never get the fuel pump relay to kick on and troubleshooting needs to go in a different direction. But lets not confuse anything just yet. Start with what Fly and I have already mentioned and let us know all of those voltage readings first.
    Last edited by KevinMullins; 11-23-2014 at 06:08 PM.

i hope i doing exactly what u need
    Fuel pump relay pin #30 12.43 grounded on chassis key on position 2 and pin #87 0.02 grounded on chassis key on position 2
    DME relay pin #86 key on position 2 12.55 grounded on chassis pin#86 grounded to pin #85 12.54
    fuse 18 grounded to chassis key on position 2
    Sorry for replying late

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    You've got 12 volts on pin 30 of the pump relay. Put a jumper wire from pin 30 to pin 87. See if the pump energizes. If it does not energize with the jumper wire installed you need to see if the pump is getting 12 volts at the connector. If the pump doesn't energize leave the jumper in place and disconnect the connector on the fuel pump. Test the 2 pins of the connector for 12 volts.

when i jumped the pins 30-87 it was showing 12.15v didnt hear the pump going on at all checked fuse 18 and it was at 0.02
    i then checked the fuel pump wire and it was at 0.06v ,then i grounded it to the chassis and the same 0.06

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    I'm not sure you understand what I'm talking about. When I say put a jumper across pin 30/87 I mean get an actual piece of wire and insert each end into the slots for pin 30/87. It sounds like you're only inserting the test probes.

i do im probably just not explaining it right.

there is 0.06v coming from the connector
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    when i jumped the pins 30-87 it was showing 12.15v didnt hear the pump going on at all checked fuse 18 and it was at 0.02
    Voltage showed the same on both ends of the fuse?
    Remove the fuse and check voltage in the fuse socket to be certain. (with the jumper still in place)

If there really is no voltage at the fuse even with the jumper in....do a continuity test between pin 87 of the fuel pump relay socket and each of the fuse holder clips.
    (doesn't matter which lead you put where, just one in the relay socket, and one for the fuse holder)

Continuity mode on your meter looks like it may even have a beep option. Touch the leads together, display will go to all zeros (or darn close) and it'll beep.
    Beep is good, no beep is bad.

Last edited by KevinMullins; 11-23-2014 at 11:50 PM.

Still same

My Cars
    93 740i, 84 533i
    At this point it might help us if you describe in detail what you did with regard to the relay and fuse.

You have 12v between 30 and 87. So, if you jump it as described with a small length of wire between those two, you should get 12v at the fuse (one side at least and both sides if fuse is good). If you don't, then you need to check for continuity as described above.

We will get you going. We just need a better understanding of what exactly you have done
    Black on Black 740i - 10/92 build date, 225,000 miles.
    Delphin on Cherry 533i - 4/84 build date, 136,000 miles
    Black on Black 328i - 3/96 build date, 185,000 miles - Sold
    2008 Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote Originally Posted by KevinMullins View Post
    Voltage showed the same on both ends of the fuse?
    Remove the fuse and check voltage in the fuse socket to be certain. (with the jumper still in place)

If there really is no voltage at the fuse even with the jumper in....do a continuity test between pin 87 of the fuel pump relay socket and each of the fuse holder clips.
    (doesn't matter which lead you put where, just one in the relay socket, and one for the fuse holder)

Continuity mode on your meter looks like it may even have a beep option. Touch the leads together, display will go to all zeros (or darn close) and it'll beep.
    Beep is good, no beep is bad.

Okay I will do it asas soon as I get home

- - - Updated - - -

I'll also take pictures so you guys see what I'm exactly doing. I really do appreciate everybody thtats helped me so far.

- - - Updated - - -

this is the driver side of the fuse slot and it was showing 0.01
    this is the passenger side of the fuse slot and it was showing 0.00
    i checked the Continuity and they both showed 1 on both slots

- - - Updated - - -

this is the driver side of the fuse slot and it was showing 0.01
    this is the passenger side of the fuse slot and it was showing 0.00
    i checked the Continuity and they both showed 1 on both slots

My Cars
    93 740i, 84 533i
    You are getting 12v at the hot side of the relay. you need to stick a jumper wire between those slots and see if you get 12v to the fuse and pump.

Like this: (although I don't bother with the actual spades on the end. I just strip the insulation from each end of a 4" or so piece of wire and stick each end into one of the slots.) One thing to make sure of is that the diagram on the side of the relay gives the slot number for the spades on the relay, so it is a mirror image of the slots where the relay goes.

- - - Updated - - -

You are getting 12v at the hot side of the relay. you need to stick a jumper wire between those slots and see if you get 12v to the fuse and pump.

Like this: (although I don't bother with the actual spades on the end. I just strip the insulation from each end of a 4" or so piece of wire and stick each end into one of the slots.) One thing to make sure of is that the diagram on the side of the relay gives the slot number for the spades on the relay, so it is a mirror image of the slots where the relay goes.
    Black on Black 740i - 10/92 build date, 225,000 miles.
    Delphin on Cherry 533i - 4/84 build date, 136,000 miles
    Black on Black 328i - 3/96 build date, 185,000 miles - Sold
    2008 Porsche Cayenne GTS

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    Where do you have the leads stuck in when doing the continuity test? (can't see because of your hand)

You'll be a master at this by the time it's all said and done.
    Last edited by KevinMullins; 11-24-2014 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinMullins View Post
    Where do you have the leads stuck in when doing the continuity test? (can't see because of your hand)

You'll be a master at this by the time it's all said and done.
    Positive was at pin 87 and the negative was at fuse 18 slots on both sides.
    Do u think I did it wrong.
    I can't wait to be a master at it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Avec View Post

- - - Updated - - -

So you want me to go from pin 30 to pin 87 then pin 30 to pin 86?

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    Positive was at pin 87 and the negative was at fuse 18 slots on both sides.
    Do u think I did it wrong.
    Sounds like you did it right. But it should have shown 0.00 or beeped or something along those lines.
    Does your meter beep if you touch the leads together when it is set to the continuity mode?

So you want me to go from pin 30 to pin 87 then pin 30 to pin 86?
    Put the solid jumper (piece of wire) in the fuel pump relay socket, one end in 30 and the other in 87. Like you did in one of your earlier pics. (30 to 86 will not do anything, they are both +)
    Then use your meter to check the voltage on both ends of the fuse. Be sure you have a good clean ground for your black lead and use the red to probe for voltage.
    If you DO have power at the fuse then check for power at the fuel pump itself. Again, make sure you have a good clean ground for your black lead.
    If you do NOT have power at the fuse, check the voltage in pin 30 by itsef. That one should always be hot coming straight off the battery.

I swear I'm going to do a video tutorial one of these days. Lol
    Last edited by KevinMullins; 11-24-2014 at 11:01 PM.

Lol you should!!
    And yes it does make a beep noise when i touched both ends together.

- - - Updated - - -

And I think on my multi meter 1 is probably 0. It didn't make any noise when I checked the fuse

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    And I think on my multi meter 1 is probably 0. It didn't make any noise when I checked the fuse
    Good that it beeps, that helps keep it simple.

Whatever it shows when the leads are apart is bad. (no beep is bad)
    Whatever it shows when you touch the leads together is good.

It should beep when you do a continuity check between pin 87 in the fuel pump relay socket and the fuse (at least one end, both if the fuse is good).

How's the voltage at pin 30? Should be 12v or so all the time.

That set of three relays has it's own little box attached to the side of the main box, you may need to pop it of and see if there is any obvious wire damage from the fuel pump relay socket headed towards where the fuse is.
    Last edited by KevinMullins; 11-25-2014 at 12:06 AM.

pin 30 was showing me 12.54
    whats the proper way to remove the box with out breaking anything?
    is there going to be one wire going to the fuse ?

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    pin 30 was showing me 12.54
    Good.

whats the proper way to remove the box with out breaking anything?
    is there going to be one wire going to the fuse ?
    Been a while since I popped one off, I'd have to go look at one of ours to check. Kind of remember a simple clip/tab and it sliding up or something.

your right simple clip slide off type deal and 4 torque 10 screws so u can get to fuse 18
    im going to have wait until tomorrow my torque 10 bit broke .....

I thought I should let you guys see what your assisting me in so here ya go

My Cars
    07 335i and 92 318is
    I've been biting my nails with anticipation hoping you remedy this, I'm having the same problem, car just wouldn't start one morning and I have spark, 12v at pin 30 on both relays, pump works hot wired, yet when I jump pin 30 to 87 on the fuel relay I get nothing and I have no power at the fuel pump fuse. I Have my fingers crossed for both of us.

I found there was a mouse nest in the DME compartment and many wires were chewed but nothing completely gone, in a little bit Im going to dig under the fusebox and see where the 2 wires from the 87 pin make their way to the fusebox.

EDIT: I wrapped a jumper wire around pin 87 on the fuel relay and stuck plugged it in with the other end wrapped around the fuel pump fuse for sh*ts and giggles with no effect, still gonna trace the wires from pin 87 on the FP relay to the FP fuse seeing there are 2 wires for a reason
    Last edited by JoeDellio; 11-25-2014 at 04:10 PM.

Dam bro fingers crossed for both of us.
    I just stripped out the screw on the fuse box by the fire wall .
    And I didn't find a mouse nest in my DME Compartment just a lot of leaves

My Cars
    07 335i and 92 318is
    So I've jumped pin 30 to 87 in the FP relay and tracing pin 87s wire which for me is green/purple I have power all the wY to the 20 pin connector, where it goes into slot #13 (male side/top) with power but doesn't come out on the other side of the connector (female side/bottom) with power. Goin to cut and splice it and then see if the fuel pump fuse gets power.

My Cars
    07 335i and 92 318is
    Worked. Fired right up.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast