Thread: Mystery BMW pic

My Cars
    BMW 850 and E55 AMG

Mystery BMW pic

This was spotted by someone in a magazine.

First things first, it's not an M635 CSi, but what is it?

It has box arches and skirts similar to an E30 M3, covered glass headlights in E36/E38 style, and the mirrors look like the old E30/E34 type.

The ACS CLS and Zeemax kits don't seem to be as sharp on the arches, the kidney grille looks a little misshapen for an E36.

Giftschrank Projekt

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    That is really odd. From the side mirrors back it looks like an e31 to me. The front looks like it is from an e32 V8 or V12 (large kidney grills) but with e38 headlights.

It could also just be a heavily modified e24, the quality of the photo is not doing anything justice. It could simply be an e24 with e38 lights.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    z3
    Was either a concept of the next-gen 6 series, one that was eventually turned into the 8 series or it was an M635 CSi with a body kit (obviously it's got a body kit...) with later model year headlights installed, either E38 or E36 with eyelids. I thought maybe an E36 ACS CLS I with pre-facelift kidney grills but the front fender and door doesn't look entirely right for an E36.

I think it was a concept, I think it was designed to be a 6 series alongside the E38, thus it sharing certain proportions and design features like headlights. They never made a 6 series alongside the E38 so it leads me to believe that it ultimately lended it's DNA to become the 8 series, it claiming to be an M635 would be in line with that since they thought the next flagship would also wear the 6 series badge and the design of a 6 series is largely based on the 7 series, or at least in this era would have been. Because really what it looks like to me is a widebody, two door E38.

Think this was ultimately what I think it became (obviously the M8 was also never a production model). There are a few similarities, lots of differences but I think this and production E31 variants are the closest we got to the OP's pictured car.

Just my .02, interesting thread though. Curious to see what others have to say.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    BMW 850 and E55 AMG
    Anyone recognise the plate format?
    It's not German, French, Polish, Italian or Belgian. It might be possible to find a plate checker that could pull the details if the country is known.

Giftschrank Projekt

My Cars
    F10 530d & E34 520I
    I think this looks like a prototype of some kind. It looks like an E31 with parts of the front of a E32 7 Series, the reason for the name "M635csi" seems to be pure guesswork. Most car magazines in Europe thought that the prototypes of what later became the E31 8 Series, should actually be a new 6-series. The speculation was back and forth on what this could be back in the late 80s...

The license plate on the car appears to be either Danish or Dutch
    Last edited by Fredrik 90; 11-16-2014 at 01:23 PM.

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Quote Originally Posted by enda320 View Post
    Anyone recognise the plate format?
    It's not German, French, Polish, Italian or Belgian. It might be possible to find a plate checker that could pull the details if the country is known.
    It's Danish
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    '00 528iA, '01 325iA
    The write-up is in Polish...

My Cars
    z3
    You guys seem to be missing the point...

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    BMW M3
    That got to be the 6 series that was never made, for some reason BMW did not proceed with that project and the result was many years without 6 series.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by M3C View Post
    That got to be the 6 series that was never made, for some reason BMW did not proceed with that project and the result was many years without 6 series.
    As touched on earlier the 6 series prototype from that era became the 8 series which supplanted the 6 series for a brief time.

Thats sort of like saying "they dont make a 2 door 3 series anymore!" well, they do, its just called the 4 series now.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS