Thread: Compatibility Help!!!

My Cars
    1990 BMW 325ix

Compatibility Help!!!

hello all i just recently decided to enter into the BMW world by purchasing a project car which is a 1990 BMW 325ix.
    i am needing help with finding out what years/models are compatible with this car in these areas...

Interior - seats, door panels and door handles (front and back)

Exterior - passenger rear door (mine wont latch shut, would it be cheaper to just purchase parts or look for one in a junk yard or other areas?)

Motor - just in case i find something else wrong

also the car will start but it wont always stay running...not sure why...

Any and all info/help welcome and appreciated.

Thank you all!

My Cars
    e36 - 1998 323is
    Welcome to the forums. see my comments in bold.
    Get used to www.realoem.com for part numbers, diagrams etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by Elph XIII View Post
    hello all i just recently decided to enter into the BMW world by purchasing a project car which is a 1990 BMW 325ix.
    i am needing help with finding out what years/models are compatible with this car in these areas...

Interior - seats, door panels and door handles (front and back) - seats, door panels, dash etc are all interchangeable between years. Covertable is someway in certain areas, like rear seat, roof liner

Exterior - passenger rear door (mine wont latch shut, would it be cheaper to just purchase parts or look for one in a junk yard or other areas?) - the same as above

Motor - just in case i find something else wrong - m20 motor is interchangeable, except oil pan, I think and may be some hardware that is unique to Xi.

also the car will start but it wont always stay running...not sure why...

Any and all info/help welcome and appreciated.

Thank you all!
    1998 323is - m50 intake manifold / 328is exhaust / Shark Injector

My Cars
    1990 BMW 325ix
    Thx for the fast response. I see though at the end of your post you said xi... Mine is the ix awd version of the 325. That being said does the compatibility still apply. Thx again

My Cars
    z3
    ix and xi mean the same thing. the X means awd. some models were ix some were xi, but its the same thing.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Hey welcome!
    Some more info on the ix M20 vs the 'regular' M20: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...in-used-engine
    Note that yours is the awd version of the 325i (M20B25), instead of the 325 (M20B27). Just one letter, but quite a difference...
    Be sure to check in on the E30 sub here!
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    1990 BMW 325ix
    awesome thx all for the replies and help...just to clarify i can use any years and models of bmw for interchangeable parts aside from motor
    Last edited by Elph XIII; 11-18-2014 at 02:33 AM.

My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    awesome thx all for the replies and help...just to clarify i can use any years and models of bmw for interchangeable parts aside from motor
    I assume you mean 'any years and models of E30'?
    That is not true at all btw. There are quite a few differences between the different years and models of E30s, and especially with the ix.
    ^ true story

My Cars
    1990 BMW 325ix
    Ok. What would I be looking for as far as my list from my first post with years and models for this car (interior, exterior and motor)

My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Ok. What would I be looking for as far as my list from my first post with years and models for this car (interior, exterior and motor)
    Ah, just for your list. I read your previous comment as a general statement for any parts you might need in the future.. That would have been a bit overboard
    ^ true story

My Cars
    1990 BMW 325ix
    lol yeah sorry im just trying to figure out what years and models are compatible for my 1990 325 ix so i can start looking around for any parts cars

My Cars
    z3
    You need to sort of just do some research. You dont expect people to spoon feed you this information forever, right?

Same-year same-model same-variant will be interchangeable. Certain parts may be swappable for coupe, sedan and convertible, others may not. Things could have changed during a "facelift" which may make some parts incompatible with later or earlier years. Most major parts will be the same throughout the years.

I recommend if you arent sure, to bring the old parts when you go to look at the parts cars. Then you can compare on the spot if they are the same and eventually youll know by heart which parts will fit which models.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!