Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would anyone know what this tapping is under my beamers hood?

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    How do the exhaust manifolds look? Are the bolts loose? I had headers at one point on a camaro that came lose, thought my engine was toasted. Turned out the exhaust gasket was slapping the side of the block. Seems to me that if it was a lifter, it would still be ticking when you took plug 3 out. I would check the exhaust manifold bolts for tightness and make sure the gasket still looks good.

My Cars
    z3 1997
    Pretty sure its the rod bearings sleepy, The pinging goes away once the spark plug is pulled, Just wondering if this job could be tackled underside up and is its just a deal of sliding the rod bearings in. I will take a look at that gasket just to make sure its sitting right. Looks like everything on this car is pretty much ow it was when it rolled out of the factory.

My Cars
    3 Series
    It's possible to just drop the pan and slap a new bearing in as long as the crank isn't too scored.

My Cars
    z3
    I think a lot of what is being in this thread is ...well, frankly, inaccurate. Blows my mind your talking about rebuilding the engine without even having properly diagnosed what this issue is.

Not to mention that you KNOW there is an exhaust leak...
    Quote Originally Posted by hatefuel66 View Post
    There is also a rust hole in the muffler
    I also see NOTHING to substantiate the idea that its a rod bearing failure. I'm not even going to go into that discussion but I am quite enjoying some of these "theories"
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 11-06-2014 at 08:59 PM.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1991 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    I think a lot of what is being in this thread is ...well, frankly, inaccurate. Blows my mind your talking about rebuilding the engine without even having properly diagnosed what this issue is.

Not to mention that you KNOW there is an exhaust leak...

I also see NOTHING to substantiate the idea that its a rod bearing failure. I'm not even going to go into that discussion but I am quite enjoying some of these "theories"
    Be nice, friend, we aint all wizards lol. Gets hard to diag over the net.
    1991 BMW 325i(Current Daily) (S52)
    I have carburetors, and I'm not afraid to use them!
    There are always other fish (engines) in the sea (Craigslist)
    Life is about enjoying the engine you are sitting behind.

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    Seems to me the rod would still slap even with the plug out. Sound goes away with out. I find this very telling.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    The noise sounds to me like a rod knock. If you rev it a bit higher does it rattle on the over-run? You've run it without the spark plug?? Unplugged the coil perhaps? If the noise abates or significantly diminishes with the coil unplugged(combustion load removed)you can be pretty sure it is a loose rod bearing.
    With a higher rev a loose rod bearing will often rattle on the over-run.
    Valve train sounds noisy too.
    This happened just after purchase on the drive home? I'd be having a serious talk with the seller about now.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    3 Series
    No compression and no load on the rod with the plug out.

My Cars
    1991 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepyhead97 View Post
    Seems to me the rod would still slap even with the plug out. Sound goes away with out. I find this very telling.
    This is my concern, knock can diminish without the load of compression and such but going away entirely sounds odd.
    1991 BMW 325i(Current Daily) (S52)
    I have carburetors, and I'm not afraid to use them!
    There are always other fish (engines) in the sea (Craigslist)
    Life is about enjoying the engine you are sitting behind.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by testify View Post
    No compression and no load on the rod with the plug out.
    No load at all?

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    No load at all?

nice.

My Cars
    bmw e46
    amazing work

My Cars
    bmw e46
    [IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    z3 1997
    Almighty seeing bimmerbreaker, What do you think? I'm am a hvac mechanic by trade, not an auto mechanic. I can follow instructions out of a Bentley/chiltons... Ross1, I ran the engine, pulled the plugs separately one by one, ie pull number one, insert, pull number 2 reinsert ect until I came to three and pulled the plug out and the noise stopped. Noise speeds up on acceleration. Lol I should really make a video. Pretty much learned that if you have a problem someone else out there has had the same problem and asked in forums. appreciate the help fella's

My Cars
    z3
    I think its silly to expect people to accurately diagnose what the sound is based just on a youtube video since even the same noise will sound radically different with different cameras or microphones. Its a good start, sure, but when the posts start immediately thinking catastrophic failure is imminent it quickly goes from helpful to ...helpless.

I would start at the KNOWN problem, the rust hole in the header, and go from there. At least get it welded shut to determine if thats the problem or not and if it is, replace the part.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    z3 1997
    I understand what you are saying bimmerbreaker, But as with everything in life, if you expect the worst the when it isn't as bad as you thought its more of a relief. Hell if i can get out with a cheaper fix then an engine I'm a happy camper. Not too sure where the rust in the header came from, I do not recall mentioning i had a rust hole in the header. The rust was located on the underside of the muffler. Someone suggested making sure a gasket on the header was not lose. Out of politeness and someone being helpful i said i would check it. I full well know its a metallic pinging in the engine, I also know that it is related to cylinder 3, example my TV is not coming on, Well check if it is plugged in. So i welcome advice like so. if i check it and there's something up with the headers n that advice has come in handy one way or another. I will post a video. The sound i posted was pretty much exactly how it sounds in person. I shout film in my spare time, so its not a tape Dictaphone its a professional recording device.

My Cars
    m5 and gallardo spyder
    Check your tensioner

My Cars
    z3 1997
    Sorry about the type o's using my phone with auto correct, would the tentioner having an issue create a problem on one singular cylinder? What should I be looking at on the tensioner? Thanks

My Cars
    520i e39 rip 2013
    Change your spark plugs mate, if the sound stops when you take it out, sound to me like the spark plug at some time has Been over tightened reducing the thickness of its squash washer, I have had this problem before. Hope this helps mate

My Cars
    1997 e39 528i

Would anyone know what this tapping is under my beamers hood?

After the muffler is fixed I would look to see if you have adequate oil pressure to your head. Ticking is only a few things. Exhaust leak, inadequate oil psi resulting in lifter not pumping up, sticky lifter, vanos issues.
    Knocking is a different ballpark. The Z line had aluminum blocks right? Or is that just In The 6's? If you had a bearing failure then I'm pretty sure you would have chucked the rod out the block by now.

Could well be a dud lifter seeing as when you back of the revs it gets louder as the gap between the lifter and cam has more time to increase causing a deeper sound?

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i E34
    Just my 0.02¢ - sounds like a rod knock on the recording. Too low of a pitch to be a lifter.
    1998 E39 540i - Arktissilber Metallic (309) - 6-Speed - Build Date: 4/22/1998 - 215,000 miles - My Daily Driver
    1995 E34 525i - Alpine White III (300) - Auto - Build date: 5/1995 - 260,000 miles - This Car Is For Sale!
    1995 E34 525i - Arktisgrau Metallic (269) - Auto - Build date: 12/1994 - 174,000 miles - Wife's Daily Driver

-Life is a tragedy for those who feel, and a comedy for those who think.
    -The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.
    -Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Rod bearing.my $0.02

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com

My Cars
    z3 1997
    I'm pretty sure its a its the rod bearing as well, was told by a friend that it could quite possibly be the valve springs if the Car has been siting for ages a compressed spring could lose its springiness , From what I can see lifting that cylinder to top dead center and then the opposite there is not play in.

- - - Updated - - -

Im guessing next step is to jack the car up, take the oil pan off and have a gander at the bottom side...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast