Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1991 M Technic E30 325i: Worth buying?

My Cars
    02 M5, '14 328D, '91 325

1991 M-Technic 325i restoration

Hi All,

It has been a while since I've posted on Bimmerforums, but I've been using this site since 2005 when I bought my first BMW, a '95 M3 and you guys have always been very informative and helpful.

Anyhow, I'll cut right to the chase. My coworker at our dealer has a 1991 BMW E30 M Technic 325i Convertible in BrilliantRot: cloth hounds-tooth interior with automatic transmission. It has 250,000 miles, although the head was resurfaced approximately two years ago by one of our master techs, Leonard H., a BMW tech over 30 years and soon poised for retirement. I drove it and it's smooth. It turns over with no hesitation, idles smooth, and the automatic transmission shifts smoothly under acceleration. It's currently registered and passed CA smog two weeks ago.

The cosmetics of the vehicle however are a different story. The original paint is heavily faded/oxidized (really could use a new paint job) and there are some tears in the cloth interior. Low beams are also inop; tech said it may need new wiring as its not the dash switch. Regardless, the car is a straight body clean title vehicle original CA car all in one piece with a working E30 odometer.

My question is, what is the feasibility of flipping this car for say $2500-$3,500 if I were able to pick this car up for $800 cash? Unfortunately there is such little information on the web about the "M technic" E30 BMW's, that it's hard to pinpoint the value/desirability of this car. But from what I've researched, it sounds like less than 500 of these BMW's were imported to North America. I wish I had some pictures I could provide, although I guess I did not think ahead enough when I went to drive his car. (He leaves it sitting at home in his garage and has a 90's Benz C280 as his DD.

Here are a few links on the web with regard to the car I'm referring to:
    http://www.e30ic.com/M-technic.htm
    http://www.e30ic.com/detailedmtech.htm

Any kind of knowledgeable insight/input as to the investment value of this vehicle by an E30 expert would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last edited by BavarianBeast; 12-30-2014 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Subject of story has moved forward

My Cars
    E30 (Delores), W123
    Definitely a car worth saving. They are indeed rare, especially if all of the rare goodies are still there (houndstooth interior, M-tech body kit, etc.). I believe all of these were automatics, but I don't know that for sure.

An authentic full M-Tech II body kit (which, I believe what came on those cars is 99% similar but is not exactly the same. I don't quite know the differences) would easily fetch $800 alone. That being said, I'd hate to think of parting this car out.

If nothing else, plastic-bumpered E30 convertibles are relatively rare in the first place. Especially with a clean, rust-free, CA body... Easily worth the investment IMO.

My Cars
    E21 320i, 300CE
    a friend of mine sold the Authentic Mtech body kit from his car for around 2500$ or a little bit more. so if you pay 800$ for it its totally worth it.

My Cars
    2013 X5 35i M-Sport
    save it and flip it. with the engine and transmission in good shape, you could resell as is for more if you changed your mind.

VRSF CP & DP | BMS Intake | MHD 2+ Tune | BavSound Stage 1 | 20% Tint
    Contact me for module coding/ECU resets

My Cars
    z3
    Just buy it.

If you dont feel comfortable enough buying it and flipping it then dont. I'd buy it, and I'd make good money on it.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    I'd buy it and enjoy it :p
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    ALPINA B10 BITURBO
    E30 M-tech I and II will be worth some money,,, in the future ..vs just standard

buy the car
    Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO V12 M70B50 ///
    ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507
    ULTIMA Evolution
    Contacts
    http://alpina.123.is/pictures/

My Cars
    02 M5, '14 328D, '91 325
    Well.... I decided to go for it! This pooch needs some major cosmetic work..... Give me some time and I will report back with updates and pics. This is my official new weekend project

">

">

">

">

My Cars
    z3
    If you recover the seats, can I buy some of the old fabric from you?

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    E30 (Delores), W123
    Nice pickup man! The body kit and seats/door cards alone are almost certainly worth way more than what you paid for it.

That being said - she looks relatively clean and restorable. Especially in CA, where it's likely rust free... Don't part it out if you can help it!

Also - those smiley headlights are worth money as well... $500 right there. Great purchase!

My Cars
    02 M5, '14 328D, '91 325
    Quote Originally Posted by KevRC4130 View Post
    Nice pickup man! The body kit and seats/door cards alone are almost certainly worth way more than what you paid for it.

That being said - she looks relatively clean and restorable. Especially in CA, where it's likely rust free... Don't part it out if you can help it!

Also - those smiley headlights are worth money as well... $500 right there. Great purchase!
    Thanks Kev. I don't intend to part the car out. It's in good running shape mechanically and I've already driven it a couple hundred miles. For thanksgiving I threw the top down and drove it from one end of the greater San Francisco bay are ago the other end and back (140 miles) to visit relatives with no issues. ... So far.

First set of items: wet sand/claybar/buffing/polish wax + repaint trunk and front bumper, remove interior seats and shampoo carpets + detail interior, replace roundels, buy the BBS basket weave center caps.

I'll post pics once i get there

My Cars
    '95 530it/5spd
    Sweet pickup. Car is easily a 1k-2.5k $ profit if you do decide to part out... Goodluck fixing her up! Curious about the progress in the next couple of months.

My Cars
    88M3-89M3-91MTech-98528i
    Lots of potential there. They are collectible and they typically sell for close to 10K, more for pristine examples. The interior is the most important part though. This is the only US E30 model that came with M technic cloth/leather.
    Last edited by reelizmpro; 12-01-2014 at 09:22 PM.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

My Cars
    ALPINA B10 BITURBO
    I like it A LOT...

for sure this car needs ,,, a more than just take care of.... do what you need to do and the car will be amazing ,, believe me
    Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO V12 M70B50 ///
    ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507
    ULTIMA Evolution
    Contacts
    http://alpina.123.is/pictures/

My Cars
    02 M5, '14 328D, '91 325
    Well, as promised I wanted to report back to you guys with an update. Everything as stated in the previous post has been done except a new hood roundel and the trunk/bumper respray... Just bought a brand new OEM kidney grille at work today too? I'm going to put in on right now. Also, sanded primed and painted the front black headlight grilles. Progress!... And we're not done yet.

My Cars
    E36/4/5
    Way to bring those fenders back from the dead

Fingerblasting my iPad

My Cars
    z3
    Is that how those seats come from the factory? Black leather seat bottoms and M fabric only on the seatback?

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    02 M5, '14 328D, '91 325
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Is that how those seats come from the factory? Black leather seat bottoms and M fabric only on the seatback?
    Nope. The 2nd owner (some person from Long Beach, CA) had them re-upholstered. From what my coworker had told me, the 2nd owner had a dog that he used to lock in the car when he would run errands and it tore up the driver seat. As a result, he had the lower portions re-upholstered in a cheap black leather. Original M-technic seats had the M colored hurricane cloth print on both inserts and black leather on the outer bolsters and headrest.

I know you mentioned you wanted some used cloth. If I end up getting the sets re-upholstered, I will certainly let you know. You pay for shipping and its yours, bud. Stay posted on the thread when I do more work on it.

- - - Updated - - -

According to a member of the bmwe30ic user group, "JM" mike_mulholland, "If you pull the rear seat out and look at the back their will be the factory stamp for the seat part number, and because its a limited edition and put together by hand, the engineer will have written the number in the series.....mine is #380

- - - Updated - - -

My Cars
    88M3-89M3-91MTech-98528i
    Excellent work so far. It looks much better. The cloth is e30 m tech/evo cloth...not hurricane. This cloth is supposedly NLA but maybe if people order enough, they will start making it again...who knows.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by reelizmpro View Post
    Excellent work so far. It looks much better. The cloth is e30 m tech/evo cloth...not hurricane. This cloth is supposedly NLA but maybe if people order enough, they will start making it again...who knows.
    They made another run of it at r3vlimited within the past few years. There may still be some "new" reproduction fabric hanging around.

I'm reproducing the "M Rain" and could potentially reproduce this as well but with a recent reproduction already made I'm not sure the demand would be there.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2003 330ci
    Im quite fond of the e30 (e21 too). My connection to BMW starts with fond memories of the 2002, and the two body styles that came after still create that emtional response. Its nice to see someone restoring one

id be driving something from that era, but my wife won the debate and getting something newer

2003 330ci

My Cars
    88M3-89M3-91MTech-98528i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    They made another run of it at r3vlimited within the past few years. There may still be some "new" reproduction fabric hanging around.

I'm reproducing the "M Rain" and could potentially reproduce this as well but with a recent reproduction already made I'm not sure the demand would be there.
    Erik J's cloth is all gone now and he won't be making anymore. There is a huge demand for the e30 m tech cloth. You should look into it if you have the resources.

My Cars
    2010 Audi S4
    It looks like a good car in good condition but it is an old model and you can buy something new and advanced.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    In4 more restore pics.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5 F31 328i Wagon
    Looking good
    Current: E36 BMW M3/4/5, F31 BMW 328i xDrive M Sport
    Past: Mk6 Golf R APR Stage 2, E30 325i/4/5, E36 328iS/2/5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast