Thread: Purchasing 1st M5!

My Cars
    Range Rover

Thumbs up Purchasing 1st M5!

Sorry for the long post....I have had two 7 series BMW's and I have had 2 Range Rovers (still have one). I loved them all. I have done a majority of the work on them myself. Changing brake pads/rotors, coils, spark plugs, etc. Everyone in my family has a BMW/Mercedes and I was thinking about going over to Audi but I think I'll stick with a bimmer or benz.

Before I got my first range rover everyone told me about the horror stories of repairs, etc. I didnt have any issues. The first one had the 4.4l bmw v8 that was the same as the one in my 7 series and then i went to the newer RR with the jaguar engine.

I know this is a BMW board but I am trying to make the most informed and logical decision between a 2006-2008 BMW M5 or 2006 CLS55 AMG or 2007-2008 CLS63 AMG with miles between 40-60k.

I have read and researched on many boards about these cars and it seems to be common that the SMG pumps go bad and need to be replaced...that is kind of scaring me away from the M5 unless I can get an aftermarket warranty to cover everything for at least 2 years. I have also read about the "jerkiness" of the SMG in auto mode.

What I am looking for in one of the above cars is:

Comfortable seating and the best ride for road trips with my wife
    Reliability
    Ease of driving - if my wife ever needs to drive it.
    Quiet Cabin - I hate wind noise
    Power - something quicker than the average car on the road.

I know that any of them will be $$$ to fix repairs but which one will have the least repairs? I know service history plays a major role in that but in general??

Thank you in advance for any input/advice you have to offer.

My Cars
    Alpha Romero
    From your list, Power is probably the only advantage the M5 has over the AMGs.

My Cars
    E60 M5
    Agree with Ryan M3. I don't think an M5 is for you, it doesn't meet any item in your list except power, and with a high cost. You should perhaps be looking at an AMG.