Thread: 1990 525 m20 problem

My Cars
    90 525

1990 525 m20 problem

Hello, I've recently been trying to fix a problem with my m20. I came across a video that mimics the symptoms i am having perfectly. http://youtu.be/YxTYs0pmpQA

In the comments of the video it seems his problem was a rocker arm broke, but mine are all intact. But in the video he mentions skipping a tooth on the timing belt which made me check my timing belt and it seems like when the cam is aligned perfectly the bottom mark does not. It lines up with the middle of the "T" on the crank pulley not the actual line.
    I can post pictures and video tomorrow.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bxie...p=docslist_api

Last edited by kharv; 10-31-2014 at 09:50 PM.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    You have illustrated that the valve timing is incorrect. What is your question?
    That engine will bend valves if it jumps any more.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    90 525
    Just making sure this would be out of timing. Thanks lol ill fix it right away.

My Cars
    Suck
    When you were rotating the engine to line up the cam timing, were you spinning it clockwise or counterclockwise?

Go ahead and bite. Plenty for everyone.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by Binjammin View Post
    When you were rotating the engine to line up the cam timing, were you spinning it clockwise or counterclockwise?
    Good point!

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    90 525
    I just set the crank back a tooth and it all lines up and j spin the engine in a clockwise rotation. Then I rechecked the markings and they where lined up. The timing belt has good tension as well. I put everything back together and she's still having the same symptoms.
    I have installed new plug wires and plugs and Dist cap and rotor are in new condition.

Also have new fuel filter and the after market tre fuel pump.

Just checked rocker arms and valve clearance. All good. I suspect fuel injector harness ... is there a way to check it without cutting and splicing ?
    Last edited by kharv; 11-02-2014 at 03:09 PM.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    That crappy video doesn't help much. That guy's car is obviously not hitting on six and sounds awful but many things can cause that.
    You can use a stethoscope to hear if the injectors are opening. A long screwdriver handle works fine, the tip against the injector body, the handle to your ear(I put my thumb between). This will tell you if the injector is getting a pulse, not if it is actually flowing fuel.
    If there are shorts in the harness between injectors the pulses can become confused and a single injector can get multiple firing pulses(ala the Mercedes Benz biodegradeable wire harness)I've never seen or heard of this on a BMW but there is always a first.
    Have you read the plugs? Any wet ones? Compression?
    Last edited by ross1; 11-03-2014 at 02:31 AM.

My Cars
    90 525
    I'll pull the plugs after starting it up after work. I have checked out the injectors with a metal pry bar and hear a consistent click on each injector. When I rebuilt my last m20 it sounded very similar problem . I played with the injector harness and it ran properly after holding the harness in a specific way.
    I checked the harness and it has green corrosion, so I cleaned it out with a pick and tried it again and no avail.

So I'm going to straight wire past the connector and fix it later It later in the future.
    Thank you for your guys help.

I made a video of how the car sounds on start up

Last edited by kharv; 11-06-2014 at 07:36 PM.

My Cars
    90 525
    I'm really stuck as what to do.

I redid the timing, checked all rocker arms. Ŕe wired my corroded c191 connector and car still runs like shit.

The tps has little to no effect on the engine when it is unplugged. The engine also dies out when afm is disconnected.

When I pull cyl 1 and 2 spark plugs the engine doesn't die down the same as when I unplug cylinders 3-6.

Am I on about an injector issue ? How's the best way to check the injector spray? All injectors click with a metal stethoscope.

The plugs on cylinder 1 and 2 after running were wet.. it is possible the Dist cap and rotor are not working correctly regardless of there new like condition ?
    Last edited by kharv; 11-07-2014 at 03:21 PM.

My Cars
    90 525
    I murdered this thread didn't I.

Alright thanks for your precious time

My Cars
    integra
    Running rich on those two cylinders. You have a spark issue or those two injectors are sticking open.

My Cars
    Suck
    Do a compression test. You probably popped your head gasket between the first two adjoining cylinders.

Go ahead and bite. Plenty for everyone.

My Cars
    integra
    Running rich on those two cylinders. You have a spark issue or those two injectors are sticking open.

Check compression if you have not.