Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HIGHBOOSTINGM3 - ELGIN CAM REGRIND - I finally found the spec sheet - Discuss

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe

HIGHBOOSTINGM3 - ELGIN CAM REGRIND - I finally found the spec sheet - Discuss

I was doing some cleaning up and found the spec sheet.

Check the "NEW" (regrind) numbers compared to the "STD" (standard-stock) numbers.

Anyone with excellent cam knowledge please give me your opinions. I am very curious.

Also...if anyone has these numbers for Schrick, VAC Turbo, ICS and other cams please share and compare as well.

Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    2004 E46 M3 Cab

This must be e36 M3 grind as its for hydraulic lifters. Good info none the less ... Thanks for sharing

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by being3 View Post
    This must be e36 M3 grind as its for hydraulic lifters. Good info none the less ... Thanks for sharing
    Yes it is a built US Spec m52 head/block with 85mm pistons and 89.6mm s52 crank for 3.05L Displacement.

Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    a m3 on a 7675
    I've been playing a lot with cams recently , I have The new vac 276 intake and 270 exhaust cams.
    Ive rolled them to 232 @50 intake and 224@50 exhaust.

- - - Updated - - -

If anyone has cams with no spec sheet and wondering exactly what they are you can ship em to me and I can roll em , i have a dummy motor set up and all the tools required , once you know your cams specs especially the centerline you can degree em to your hearts desire.
    World record holder for a m52 stock bottom end.
    9.41@153 c4 auto 28" et streets, e34 3.64 gearset 900+hp
    E36 chassis irs world record holder 8.49@162
    Th400, e85, 7685, m50 intake 26.6 lbs of boost

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Those are the same specs that my Elgins were. I can post my collection of cam specs again if you'd like. LMK.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by das Boot View Post
    I've been playing a lot with cams recently , I have The new vac 276 intake and 270 exhaust cams.
    Ive rolled them to 232 @50 intake and 224@50 exhaust.

- - - Updated - - -

If anyone has cams with no spec sheet and wondering exactly what they are you can ship em to me and I can roll em , i have a dummy motor set up and all the tools required , once you know your cams specs especially the centerline you can degree em to your hearts desire.
    Good info thanks.

So...what do you mean going from vac 276 intake and 270 exhaust to 232 @50 intake and 224@50 exhaust? Is that good? Bad? Why?

Cam explanation for dummies please.
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    Those are the same specs that my Elgins were. I can post my collection of cam specs again if you'd like. LMK.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    Thanks. Didn't you figure out the perfect cam degree for turbo app or...? Could you post about that?

Glad to know they are exactly the same so any knowledge you have on the degree to create quicker spooling, etc. I can use.

Anything good or bad about these specs? Can you explain each spec in more layman's terms?

My Cars
    a m3 on a 7675
    Quote Originally Posted by highboostingm3 View Post
    Good info thanks.

So...what do you mean going from vac 276 intake and 270 exhaust to 232 @50 intake and 224@50 exhaust? Is that good? Bad? Why?

Cam explanation for dummies please.

Thanks. Didn't you figure out the perfect cam degree for turbo app or...? Could you post about that?

Glad to know they are exactly the same so any knowledge you have on the degree to create quicker spooling, etc. I can use.

Anything good or bad about these specs? Can you explain each spec in more layman's terms?
    The cams have alot of lift but are a little late opening if timed with factory blocks so adjustments were made to both .
    The most common way to spec camshafts is by measuring them at .50 lift
    They were advertised as 276/270 and measured at .004
    I assume. I measured them at .50 lift cause its more common and easier to adjust from there.

From all my conversations with Paul burke it's all about where the 276/270 is opening and closing you could have the most beautifull cam specs ever but if they are opening and closing like crap the them They are crap.
    that is why it's so important to know what you got.
    By no means am i a cam guru but I do know exactly what cams I have and know exactly when they open and close
    Last edited by das Boot; 10-29-2014 at 01:49 PM.
    World record holder for a m52 stock bottom end.
    9.41@153 c4 auto 28" et streets, e34 3.64 gearset 900+hp
    E36 chassis irs world record holder 8.49@162
    Th400, e85, 7685, m50 intake 26.6 lbs of boost

m3mods is offline Boost Addict BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    AC Schnitzer S3 CLS
    Somebody send this man some vac mild grinds and or ics mild grinds! If no one knows anything about the vac mild grind cams by the time I get some I'll send them your way before install as I'd love to know a bit about them before install. Also curious for those of you with the vac mild grind cams/ ics mild grinds already, did you just install them with factory timing blocks or have any of you degreed them and seen benefits?

My Cars
    1997 328i turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by highboostingm3 View Post
    Yes it is a built US Spec m52 head/block with 85mm pistons and 89.6mm s52 crank for 3.05L Displacement.
    I was under the impression that I cant use the s52 crank with the m52 pistons. Are ur pistons custom spec too.

I have the s52 crank and eagle rods just trying to figure out the pistons

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Since the S52 crank has a longer throw than the M52 crank, and the rods are the same length for either crank, the pin height in the piston has to be changed or it will stick up too far into the combustion chamber. So if an M52 bore piston is used, it has to be custom with a relocated pin height rather than a stock one. Wiseco makes M52 bore pistons for use with S52 cranks and you should be able to buy them through TRM or Maximum Psi. Any piston maker can make them if you provide the specs or it already has the specs. To reduce the risk of a screw up, it may be best to work with a shop that knows what you need.

My Cars
    1997 328i turbo
    ok will contact maxpsi and see what they say.

thanks

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyyardie View Post
    I was under the impression that I cant use the s52 crank with the m52 pistons. Are ur pistons custom spec too.

I have the s52 crank and eagle rods just trying to figure out the pistons
    Pistons are CP 8.5:1CR custom spec yes. Rods are Pauter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by das Boot View Post
    The cams have alot of lift but are a little late opening if timed with factory blocks so adjustments were made to both .
    The most common way to spec camshafts is by measuring them at .50 lift
    They were advertised as 276/270 and measured at .004
    I assume. I measured them at .50 lift cause its more common and easier to adjust from there.

From all my conversations with Paul burke it's all about where the 276/270 is opening and closing you could have the most beautifull cam specs ever but if they are opening and closing like crap the them They are crap.
    that is why it's so important to know what you got.
    By no means am i a cam guru but I do know exactly what cams I have and know exactly when they open and close
    Thank you for that great explanantion. Paul Burke is the master. He was working on making his cams available per his website so one could just order them...has he achieved that yet?

I wonder how well my regrinds open and close. Would love to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by m3mods View Post
    Somebody send this man some vac mild grinds and or ics mild grinds! If no one knows anything about the vac mild grind cams by the time I get some I'll send them your way before install as I'd love to know a bit about them before install. Also curious for those of you with the vac mild grind cams/ ics mild grinds already, did you just install them with factory timing blocks or have any of you degreed them and seen benefits?
    I agree. It would be great for das boost to give us info on the opening/closing of those cams along with Schrick, Paul Burke, Elgin Regrinds, etc.. One thread with all the comparisons that we have for our motors would be sick. Not enough profit with our cars for someone like MaxPSI or CES or Paul Burke to do this comparison test probably though.
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Since the S52 crank has a longer throw than the M52 crank, and the rods are the same length for either crank, the pin height in the piston has to be changed or it will stick up too far into the combustion chamber. So if an M52 bore piston is used, it has to be custom with a relocated pin height rather than a stock one. Wiseco makes M52 bore pistons for use with S52 cranks and you should be able to buy them through TRM or Maximum Psi. Any piston maker can make them if you provide the specs or it already has the specs. To reduce the risk of a screw up, it may be best to work with a shop that knows what you need.
    Nice explanation thanks.

My Cars
    e30

Sent from my GTX3582R
    Brad, do you have the durations @ .004"? What install centers did you end up using?

What are the factory install centers (vanos off)?

Cam, what is your current manifold/turbo setup?
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Anyone have info/specs on the bimmerheads S52 regrinds? I was told they are to mimic sunbelt stage 2's but I'm having trouble finding the specs on those as well.

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by wazzu70 View Post
    Cam, what is your current manifold/turbo setup?
    Spa t4 mani
    pt6766 dbb

...not yet tested.

My Cars
    Estoril Mcoupe
    Hurry

My Cars
    skateboard
    Bimmerworld.com has the specs on the sunbelt stage 2's. I have the bimmerhead specs somewhere as well. They are not exactly the same as the sunbelts , but close. I'll be throwing a set of those 276/270 schricks in my car. If ur not going to use a vano's limiter you'll need to retard the intake cam 4.5 degrees unless you have aftermarket Pistons with larger valve relieves .

Hi 5
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    Bimmerworld.com has the specs on the sunbelt stage 2's. I have the bimmerhead specs somewhere as well. They are not exactly the same as the sunbelts , but close. I'll be throwing a set of those 276/270 schricks in my car. If ur not going to use a vano's limiter you'll need to retard the intake cam 4.5 degrees unless you have aftermarket Pistons with larger valve relieves . Hi 5
    Get some evosports.
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Stock S52 cams set to stock setting:

IN 255* @ 0.004" 214* @ 0.050"
    EX 237* @ 0.004" 200* @ 0.050"
    LSA 116.5*
    IN CL 120* ATDC
    EX CL 113* BTDC

Elgin cams set to stock settings:

IN 228* @ 0.050"
    EX 206* @ 0.050"
    LSA 117*
    IN CL 121* ATDC
    EX CL 113* BTDC

A little birdie told me to set my Elgins to this:

IN 228* @ 0.050"
    EX 206* @ 0.050"
    LSA 113*
    IN CL 118* ATDC
    EX CL 108* BTDC

This timing setting was what I had when I dyno'd 620 whp / 560 wtq:

IN 228* @ 0.050"
    EX 206* @ 0.050"
    LSA 119.75*
    IN CL 125* ATDC
    EX CL 114.5* BTDC

I have more info…….
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Stock S52 cams set to stock setting:

IN 255* @ 0.004" 214* @ 0.050"
    EX 237* @ 0.004" 200* @ 0.050"
    LSA 116.5*
    IN CL 120* ATDC
    EX CL 113* BTDC

Elgin cams set to stock settings:

IN 228* @ 0.050"
    EX 206* @ 0.050"
    LSA 117*
    IN CL 121* ATDC
    EX CL 113* BTDC

A little birdie told me to set my Elgins to this:

IN 228* @ 0.050"
    EX 206* @ 0.050"
    LSA 113*
    IN CL 118* ATDC
    EX CL 108* BTDC

This timing setting was what I had when I dyno'd 620 whp / 560 wtq:

IN 228* @ 0.050"
    EX 206* @ 0.050"
    LSA 119.75*
    IN CL 125* ATDC
    EX CL 114.5* BTDC

I have more info…….
    Stealing! Thank you Master Yoda!

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoostedBmwM3 View Post
    Get some evosports.
    Couldn't get them on the phone. Plus I already have the cams I mentioned .
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    Couldn't get them on the phone. Plus I already have the cams I mentioned .
    Hmm, it seems as if they aren't in the game.

One forum member made some real good power with them.
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Riot racing cams are probably the most affordable cam upgrade.

Sent from my GTX3582R

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    How are the riot racing cams ? Anyone try ?
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    How are the riot racing cams ? Anyone try ?
    Not sure, but they sell BBTB's for a decent price.
    ― George Orwell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast