Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5er flywheel ugh

My Cars
    1995 530i w/ M60b40 swap

5er flywheel ugh

So, today I finally managed to pull the flywheel off my car. It's been a rather long and frustrating process due to the moronic negligence of the previous owner. There is a special place reserved in hell for him, it almost makes me not feel sorry for taking advantage of him when I bough the bimmer.

Anyways, the eom dual mass has some flaws in the surface, and these of course can't be resurfaced. Would anyone let me know what is the best option for me to go? I've been looking at single mass, but they're pretty costly (like 7 hundred). I'm not totally against using eom if that's my best option.

btw the car is a 1995 530i with a b40 swap retaining a five speed transmission, zf if I remember. Pretty sure the car was originally an auto, so I'm forever confused on why the guy didn't swap a six speed and make it a 540.

My Cars
    E34 M5
    The "B40 into a 530i manual" swap isn't that uncommon. Good 6-speed boxes command a premium and the 4.0 essentially bolts into place.

I would stick with OE dual mass and clutch. Doing a clutch properly on the V8 cars is probably one of the more expensive maintenance items to do on a E34.

My Cars
    1995 530i w/ M60b40 swap
    Quote Originally Posted by PorscheH6 View Post
    The "B40 into a 530i manual" swap isn't that uncommon. Good 6-speed boxes command a premium and the 4.0 essentially bolts into place.

I would stick with OE dual mass and clutch. Doing a clutch properly on the V8 cars is probably one of the more expensive maintenance items to do on a E34.
    My car wasn't a manual to begin with though, it was an auto. So the dude had to source a five speed tranny along with the b40. I know the swap was common, I just thought it was stupid how the po did it. Thanks for the recommendation of the clutch and flywheel.

My Cars
    96 M3. 94 E34. 98 750il
    Our cars are twins! Even sounds like the same PO lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Mine was a manual trans from the factory thank god. One less thing for the PO to booger up
    "**if you suck at driving, it certainly could put you into a curb. Don't suck."

My Cars
    blk 740i/ 325is - 95's
    I personally dont know of a b30 LWFW...

I also know a stock b40 clutch can handle more power than you will need. There 265mm witch is bigger than an e39 M5!

I got a LWFW and a race clutch. Only needed if your REALLY gonna go big.
    1995 540i /6 speed, Black on black, VF m62 S/C kit v3 6psi - Cold air intake/ SSSquid Tune/racing exhuast, Vortech 8:1 RRFPR ,545 SSK /3.15 with LSD / rev-shift motor mounts/stage 4, 6 puck clutch/ K Sport coil overs / suede sparco 368 steering wheel, Recaro seats, N2O, M/T drag slicks
    "Skill can only get you so far, then comes money!"
    R . I . P Paul Walker - 1973 - 2013

My Cars
    E34 M5
    The swap is a lot simpler on a 530i with the 5-speed box because then you don't have to use a custom driveshaft or change the rear end. It's possible this was considered during the swap.

My Cars
    1995 530i w/ M60b40 swap
    Yeah, it had a 530 flywheel and clutch, I'm sure the b40 has the same bolt pattern as the b30 for flywheels. Pretty sure that the 530 clutch just couldn't hold up to the torque

My Cars
    96 M3. 94 E34. 98 750il
    How well do the stock 5 speeds hold up to the b40's extra torque? My clutch feels good and never slipped the entire time I've owned it, but the gearbox feels...abused.

My Cars
    1995 530i w/ M60b40 swap
    Idk, my gearbox feels very smooth. The po thought it needed a new one due to a massive amount of play, but I got a little dirty and noticed he was missing a bolt in the gear shift linkage. New bolt and it was good to go.

My Cars
    blk 740i/ 325is - 95's
    The gear box actually can handle as much power as the 6 speed. Some (few) say more due to second idler shaft or something idk really anymore. The clutch is undersized tho how ever.

As for why he went this route, if you are building the car logically with budget in mind you do what he did.. Unless its your own life long, for ever car the budget logically suggests a 5 spd and the 530 aspect completes it with the d/s, subframe, axles,diff swap saving in the thousands!

the 530 also has a 24 pound lighter rear end with more options in ratio and LSD. So be thankful.
    1995 540i /6 speed, Black on black, VF m62 S/C kit v3 6psi - Cold air intake/ SSSquid Tune/racing exhuast, Vortech 8:1 RRFPR ,545 SSK /3.15 with LSD / rev-shift motor mounts/stage 4, 6 puck clutch/ K Sport coil overs / suede sparco 368 steering wheel, Recaro seats, N2O, M/T drag slicks

My Cars
    1995 530i w/ M60b40 swap
    Quote Originally Posted by imae30driver View Post
    So be thankful.
    i only payed 1900 for the car with 125k miles, I feel like I came out ahead any way you put it.

My Cars
    blk 740i/ 325is - 95's
    Quote Originally Posted by ahrensNW View Post
    i only payed 1900 for the car with 125k miles, I feel like I came out ahead any way you put it.
    Correct, thats exactly what i paid for my HE53 and i feel the same way.

What i meant was, for a 6 speed a new diff is 500~ very limited options.

your diff's are much cheaper and has way more options available in LSD

My Cars
    1995 530i w/ M60b40 swap

so glad I have a winter package, the LSD in that beast locks like no other. It really puts you into your seat... when it's running smh.

My Cars
    blk 740i/ 325is - 95's
    so glad I have a winter package, the LSD in that beast locks like no other. It really puts you into your seat... when it's running smh.
    Try runnin sum NAWZ DAWG lol

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    "I finally managed to pull the flywheel off my car. It's been a rather long and frustrating process due to the moronic negligence of the previous owner."

I'm curious to know what the PO had done to make removing the flywheel so difficult. Short of buggering the bolts there ain't much to mess up.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1995 530i w/ M60b40 swap
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    "I finally managed to pull the flywheel off my car. It's been a rather long and frustrating process due to the moronic negligence of the previous owner."

I'm curious to know what the PO had done to make removing the flywheel so difficult. Short of buggering the bolts there ain't much to mess up.
    three of the bolts were stripped, I had to drill them out. The exhaust was done by a terrible muffler shop, I had to break welds to get it off. There was no maintenance done to the car, it was absolutely covered in pos synthetic oil. It's not necessarily what he did to the flywheel, it's what he did to the entire car.

My Cars
    Scrap
    Using a secondhand dual mass to replace your current one is a risk. The materials between the two sections deteriorate. I could shift my dual mass when I took it out and it explained one of the clunks. I say one of the clunks because e30.
    You might be able to find a second hand single mass and get it checked out at a machine shop.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    three of the bolts were stripped, I had to drill them out. The exhaust was done by a terrible muffler shop, I had to break welds to get it off. There was no maintenance done to the car, it was absolutely covered in pos synthetic oil. It's not necessarily what he did to the flywheel, it's what he did to the entire car.
    I see and feel your pain. Interested in your solution to the stripped bolts as they are captured.
    Is there any other kind?
    Last edited by ross1; 10-28-2014 at 10:55 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    96 M3. 94 E34. 98 750il
    It's not necessarily what he did to the flywheel, it's what he did to the entire car.
    our cars really are twins. The PO's must have been brothers...

- - - Updated - - -

I have an extra complete rear sub frame with a 4.10 open diff. Is there an LSD i can swap in and keep the 4.10 gear?

My Cars
    blk 740i/ 325is - 95's
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/at...d=516298&stc=1
    Wait, is that you?!

I bolted in an LSD, idk why a medium case would not be the same.

My Cars
    1995 530i w/ M60b40 swap
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    I see and feel your pain. Interested in your solution to the stripped bolts as they are captured.
    Is there any other kind?
    There was play on every bolt with a t55, so I took my torch, heated the stripped bolts, jammed the t60 in there, applied as much force as humanly possible, and bam. All three bolts came out. I would absolutely not recommend this if you want to keep any structural integrity in your flywheel. I honestly felt pretty stupid for not finding a better way.

muffler shops smh. I bought it from the po and he said "just paid 1600 for the full custom stinger exhaust"

- - - Updated - - -

I wish, but oxford green can never look that dark lol

My Cars
    96 M3. 94 E34. 98 750il
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/at...d=516298&stc=1
    Wait, is that you?!

I bolted in an LSD, idk why a medium case would not be the same.
    same color, but that one is a litle nicer than mine currently. I like those rims, anyone know what they are?

So if i find any medium case LSD, i can swap the LSD carrier onto my 4.10 gear set and call it a day? That seems too easy for a BMW lol.

My Cars
    '04 330i, '95 540i6
    There was play on every bolt with a t55, so I took my torch, heated the stripped bolts, jammed the t60 in there, applied as much force as humanly possible, and bam.
    If I am not mistaken aren't these bolts T60 in anyway? This is truly awful thing with all types of torx and e-torx bolts, one size smaller (or one size larger in the case of e-torx) with feel like it fits until you try to loosen it. This why with torx when i try different sizes until I find one that doesn't fit, the right one will be one size smaller.

All in all getting the flywheel off with these torx bolts is a hateful experience to say the least.

If you ever go 6 speed then the 850CSi single mass flywheel and clutch kit are also an option.

My Cars
    1995 530i w/ M60b40 swap
    I'm a little curious now, I've gotten more questions then answers. Will a 540 clutch and flywheel be compatible with the 530(zf) tranny? I mean, it's designed for the getrag. Or will only the 530 clutch and flywheel work with the zf?

My Cars
    1995 BMW 540i/6
    I purchased the SPEC singlemass flywheel and so far its really nice. Definitely recommend it

http://specclutchsuperstore.com/540-...3nfBoCzUfw_wcB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast