Thread: HELP! steering lock wont disengage

My Cars
    1997 Bmw 740iL

Exclamation HELP! steering lock wont disengage

hi i am new to this forum. yesterday i felt the steering lock pin interfere with my pulling out of the driveway. i turned through it, no big deal. today i cant turn the key except if i put all my force on it the accessories come on. the wheel is locked. i tried the "jiggle" technique. no dice. i separated ignition switch from key tumbler, and started the engine. at this point the wheel is still locked AND i cant shift out of park. so i put it all back together. i saw a drill and remove the spring solution for 3 series, but i dont know if A) this will work on my 740iL? and B) even if i get the steering to unlock, will i be able to shift? please help this is my daily driver and i am disabled so walkin isnt really an option.

My Cars
    1997 Bmw 740iL
    well, going by the photos on the 3 series thread, and that one of our members used this on his DINAN 7 s2, i followed the drill procedure. works like a charm!!! two minutes max. i am so thrilled!! thank you all!

My Cars
    Bmw
    Awesome news.
    Life is like a car wash and I'm on a bicycle.

My Cars
    Hi. I have a 2005 e60. How can I still the tumbler out. Dealer says I need a whole column. I have the new tumbler but can't get this damn thing out. Can u help????