Thread: EWS 3.3 bypass or delete, can it be done?

My Cars
    hiss by my window

EWS 3.3 bypass or delete, can it be done?

Has anyone actually DONE THIS?
    I have a near free e38('98 740il 9/97) giving codes 39 & 204. Cranks, no start. No fuel pressure, no spark. My research indicates the EWS and DME are out of sync. Car would start before battery was disconnected.
    Given the value of these cars a tow and even a minimum diagnostic fee will make this thing a part out.
    I'd prefer to get it running again but it has rust and doesn't merit much investment.
    Last edited by ross1; 10-24-2014 at 11:36 PM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    01 749iM/6 sporty
    May just need a realignment. There is not an "easy and quick" way to defeat it.
    If it's not just out of sync check with DUDMD he may be able to clear the DME so it can be resynced.
    Trevor
    01 749i sporty, build 12/00 "Sports Barge",S62
    92 VW Corrado VR6,AAA
    81 Delorean,B28F
    81 VW Rabbit Pickup 1.8T,AWW
    03 VW Passat wagon 4.0 W8 6spd

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by 007008 View Post
    May just need a realignment. There is not an "easy and quick" way to defeat it.
    If it's not just out of sync check with DUDMD he may be able to clear the DME so it can be resynced.
    Definitely needs to be re-aligned. The trouble is cost.
    It did throw a code for EWS power supply. One of the DME fuses was blown and since replaced that code has not returned. I found a bulletin that mentions loose connections in a power dist. block under the pass seat. I will investigate this today but have little confidence this will be the problem.
    Thanks for the tip, I will contact DUDMD for advice.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    01 749iM/6 sporty
    Well the cheapest route is realignment. It only takes a couple of minutes with a diag. laptop.
    Trevor
    01 749i sporty, build 12/00 "Sports Barge",S62
    92 VW Corrado VR6,AAA
    81 Delorean,B28F
    81 VW Rabbit Pickup 1.8T,AWW
    03 VW Passat wagon 4.0 W8 6spd

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    +1 on DUDMD. If you had a blown fuse in the carrier, I would check your wiring loom. Pull the connector on the sensor that sits on the thermostat housing to make sure it is not burnt. Pull the DME out to make sure there is no sign moisture also.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayorchuck View Post
    +1 on DUDMD. If you had a blown fuse in the carrier, I would check your wiring loom. Pull the connector on the sensor that sits on the thermostat housing to make sure it is not burnt. Pull the DME out to make sure there is no sign moisture also.
    The connector is fine, opened the DME, no signs of moisture or trauma.
    I'm reasonably certain that there is no failure of hard parts, only a software issue. I'd rather eliminate the system but the prospects for this are looking grim.

My Cars
    03 325xi, 01 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    The connector is fine, opened the DME, no signs of moisture or trauma.
    I'm reasonably certain that there is no failure of hard parts, only a software issue. I'd rather eliminate the system but the prospects for this are looking grim.
    The fuse block under the front passenger feet can cause myriad issues.

Resync takes only a minute. Even INPA can do it (worked for me).

I have some info on both in my thread in my sig.

BlackKnight530i has eliminated EWS on his S62 swap, but it basically requires code level manipulation of the DME software. I'm not real clear on the details of his work, but he knows his way around the issue pretty well, but he would have done it on the s62 DME.
    Last edited by daytonatrbo; 10-25-2014 at 04:11 PM.
    Current:
    2009 xdrive35D

Past:
    2003 325xi
    2001 740iL
    1993 740iL

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonatrbo View Post
    The fuse block under the front passenger feet can cause myriad issues.

Resync takes only a minute. Even INPA can do it (worked for me).

I have some info on both in my thread in my sig.

BlackKnight530i has eliminated EWS on his S62 swap, but it basically requires code level manipulation of the DME software. I'm not real clear on the details of his work, but he knows his way around the issue pretty well, but he would have done it on the s62 DME.
    Thanks for the suggestion. A service bulletin addresses this as well. I've investigated and found no issue there either.
    It seems there is no way around it, either by a "correct" repair method or bypassing the system it will require equipment I don't have.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    There are members here that are local to you that have the software setup and would probably be glad to help. purplecty is one that comes to mind. Mind send him a PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 750i DG21097
    I'm also interested in the removal of my EWS. My car however has EWS II and has twin DMEs so I'm not sure if this is at all possible. Hopefully somebody here can offer some info on the matter.

My Cars
    93 525iT,91 318i
    You might try these guys:
    http://www.rmsonlinestore.com/BMW-EWS-Complete-Kit_c10.htm

Somewhere in the forums is a post that indicates the EWS will self destruct if the battery is allowed to drop below a certain voltage while the ignition is on (like trying to start on a dead/dying battery). I think that's what happened to mine long ago. $600 to have indy replace and synchronize the EWS.

My Cars
    1997 740il project
    Sometimes I sound like a salesman for these guys, but RPM motorsports in Canada can blank your computer for less that 600$US. I might also say, that at one time, I read almost every post online about an EWS no start, and if the engine will crank, that is rare. It is way more common for the car to do nothing than crank and not start, but I am certainly not the final word.

Sorry, just followed this link above, and I see that is the same thing I am talking about. They did an EWS removal on my car, and it saved me about a 5 month research project.
    Last edited by edognight; 10-29-2014 at 03:43 PM.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by edognight View Post
    Sometimes I sound like a salesman for these guys, but RPM motorsports in Canada can blank your computer for less that 600$US. I might also say, that at one time, I read almost every post online about an EWS no start, and if the engine will crank, that is rare. It is way more common for the car to do nothing than crank and not start, but I am certainly not the final word.

Sorry, just followed this link above, and I see that is the same thing I am talking about. They did an EWS removal on my car, and it saved me about a 5 month research project.
    Thanks, I've seen their site. The point of wanting to delete is to NOT spend much money on this car. I can replace it for $600.
    Having said that the car has been towed to the dealer where a friendly tech has agreed to a 1/2 hr. labor charge to re-align the system.

My Cars
    93 525iT,91 318i
    Back when these cars were valuable (usually, the day before it was driven off the lot), the EWS probably made a lot of sense. No longer was it possible for some ne'r-do-well to hotwire the car and make off with it. Ironically, the cost of repairing the EWS and being unable to delete it is starting to take more cars off the road.

My Cars
    03 325xi, 01 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Thanks, I've seen their site. The point of wanting to delete is to NOT spend much money on this car. I can replace it for $600.
    Having said that the car has been towed to the dealer where a friendly tech has agreed to a 1/2 hr. labor charge to re-align the system.

For $35 and some patience, you can get the cables and software to do it yourself. It takes a little while tho, I got mine from Romania.
    Current:
    2009 xdrive35D

Past:
    2003 325xi
    2001 740iL
    1993 740iL

My Cars
    1995 BMW 750i DG21097
    For $35 and some patience, you can get the cables and software to do it yourself. It takes a little while tho, I got mine from Romania.

Source??

My Cars
    03 325xi, 01 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by jl01152 View Post
    Source??
    eBay.

Search "BMW INPA Cable" and see what comes up. I ran the search yesterday and the stuff could be had in the states for as little as $18.

The INPA software can be found in various places on the internet, and even the software I "bought" with my cable was just pirated software burned to a disc.
    Current:
    2009 xdrive35D

Past:
    2003 325xi
    2001 740iL
    1993 740iL

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    If I had patience I'd be a doctor.
    Dealer tech has pronounced a bad DME. I'm not convinced so barring the car being sold as is I may invest in the items suggested and give it a go. Not sure if I'm up for a part out yet but anyone needing parts can feel free to let me know via PM. It has a VERY nice black interior.
    Thanks especially to daytonatrbo

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Can the DME be read at all?

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by purplecty View Post
    Can the DME be read at all?
    Yes. I am disappointed with the dealer tech. in spite of the recommendation of the BMW parts man I've known for years. These guys seldom deal with anything very far out of warranty. I'm not convinced he understands the problem and these guys don't like it when a mere customer dares to presume to know something. I suspect he wants to throw parts at it. A nice gig if you can get it. I'm prepared to eat my words.
    P-city, if you are up for this, I'm game but cannot afford an experts wage for travel time. PM is best
    Last edited by ross1; 11-05-2014 at 08:41 PM.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Might be better getting a diagnostic setup and a cable and start learning yourself. Won't save you time but will save you money. You have to weigh out what is more important to you. I think you have more issues than a mere ews dme sync from the little time we spoke about the issue. Wish you the best of luck ross! Hope you get her running as i understand this is a car you're trying to sell and not keep...
    Last edited by purplecty; 11-05-2014 at 09:19 PM.