Thread: Using oil but no leak

My Cars
    2003 325xit sports wagon

Cool Using oil but no leak

Absolutely no leak so must be in valve guides. Adding half quart oil 800 miles. Car has 100k 2003, runs great 32 mpg, no smoke except cold morning startup. Question, do I pay $2500 for valve guide/ring job or keep driving until I see blue smoke or engine missing? Thanks.

My Cars
    ///M Roadster
    I would think a new engine (installed) is not much more than that. Since you have no leak or smoke, I would probably continue driving it as is. With full warning that you engine may have a serious problem that will one day go kaput.
    Cyrus Mistry

My Cars
    z3
    I'd drive it till it dies then engine swap

As above poster said, thats so close to the price of an engine plus swapping it that I don't see why that would ever be worth it to do.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '15 I01Rex , '11F25
    Probably not the valve guides, First suspect would be the crank case vent valve and you should replace it with only oem and the 4 hoses as well. The valve can be checked with a slack test and also a smoke test. When this valve is defective it can cause a lot of strange oil consumption issues including, but not limited to pushing oil thru the intake manifold, brake booster, idle air, its certainly a lot cheaper to replace this valve, especially on the M54 as thats not the motor that has valve guide issues. The hose at the bottom of the valve turns to goo and will clog oils return to the sump. The valve also has a nipple which has a rubber cap on it, some techs connect a vacuum line from that nipple to one thats plugged on the back of the intake manifold. As long as that motor doesnt get overheated its on of BMW's most reliable engines...ever. M30 people will probably try to disagree but that motor had issues with cracked heads and wiped cams.

My Cars
    2003 325xit sports wagon
    Thanks the engine replacement sounds good.

My Cars
    '15 I01Rex , '11F25
    Quote Originally Posted by recipe View Post
    Thanks the engine replacement sounds good.
    Sorry, but I'm a little confused by your reply, in fact if you are on the East Coast and decide to swap out your perfectly good engine I'll take it off your hands.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by ptarditi View Post
    Sorry, but I'm a little confused by your reply, in fact if you are on the East Coast and decide to swap out your perfectly good engine I'll take it off your hands.
    lol, unbelievable...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2003 325xit sports wagon
    Confused? A previous post said $2500 is what you could buy a rebuilt engine for 'if' it came to that. It hasn't come to that as yet but good to know choices.

My Cars
    2003 325i
    Drive it.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Half a quart every 800 miles is normal ... you might not like it, but almost every manufacturer considers anything up to a quart for every 1000 miles normal.

My Cars
    '15 I01Rex , '11F25
    Quote Originally Posted by recipe View Post
    Confused? A previous post said $2500 is what you could buy a rebuilt engine for 'if' it came to that. It hasn't come to that as yet but good to know choices.
    Sorry for the "confused" if you go back and follow from what you originally posted, to my second reply it seems that replacing the motor was what you were going to do.