Thread: e60 Common oil leak areas?

My Cars
    99' 328i & 92' 325i

e60 Common oil leak areas?

Sup Forum ...I have a mild oil leak somewhere on my 2006 e60. I also own a 1999 e46 and it leaked at the oil pan and the oil filter housing. Are these same leak points common with the e60? I'm seeing oil on the plastic cover under the engine. I have to add a qt of oil about every 2-3 months. What are the common areas for oil leaks?

My Cars
    2007 550i Auto
    Probably depends on what engine you have. I also have the same question for the 550i/V8/N62.

I'm also sure that search would reveal the info, but like yourself, haven't yet.

My Cars
    A car and a bike
    Sounds like a valve cover gasket leak. You can confirm a bad leak by pulling a spark plug and seeing if oil is in there. Other common areas are oil filter housing and oil cooler housing gaskets. If replacing valve cover, you have to replace the bolts, the motor gasket, and the eccentric sensor gasket at the same time.

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Rome View Post
    What are the common areas for oil leaks?
    Well considering my last dealer told me to come in "anytime for a complimentary leak check", I think the common area would be the engine.

I have never been told to bring my car in for a "leak check" by any dealer on any car I have owned for the last 37 years.

My Cars
    2005 e60 545i
    I have a 2005 545i and was experiencing similar problems. The gaskets are the main problems that you will encounter in any BMW. Replacing the upper timing gaskets, valve cover gaskets, and alternator bracket gasket should fix your problem

My Cars
    99' 328i & 92' 325i
    Thanks to all for your help. Turns out my car's issue was the classic oil filter housing gasket and the oil cooler gaskets. My oil cooler gaskets were so bad that oil seeped into the coolant. I found oil in the coolant when bleeding the system. I need to check the other gaskets that ItsThaMonsta & blackedoutboss mentioned. Gotta laugh at beshannon's experience with the Stealer ..."leak check" ...WTF.

My Cars
    2008 BMW 535i
    My Indy suggested that changing the oil at 7,500 miles instead of the maintenance minder will extend the life of your gaskets.

The oil pan gasket can be a major job from what I have read but I have heard some who have cut the gasket to get it in without removing the front suspension.

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Rome View Post
    Gotta laugh at beshannon's experience with the Stealer ..."leak check" ...WTF.
    I would have laughed except for the fact they were stone cold dead serious. I made the decision to start car shopping immediately.

My Cars
    991.1 / 958.2
    Quote Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
    I would have laughed except for the fact they were stone cold dead serious. I made the decision to start car shopping immediately.
    If even there wasn't a leak, a guarantee the dealer would find one.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 525i
    If you own a 545i, you are guaranteed to have an oil leak!! Lol

1996 328is SOLD 2001 525i-SOLD 1998 E36 M3-SOLD
    2009 E60 M5-SOLD 2008 E60 545i-SOLD
    2009 BMW 135i FBO MHD stage 2+ (work in progress)