Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Steedspeed BMW E36 twinscroll bottom mount turbo manifold teaser pics -CES MOTORSPORT

My Cars
    CES Stage 3 Turbo M3

Steedspeed BMW E36 twinscroll bottom mount turbo manifold teaser pics -CES MOTORSPORT

Well, the moment has finally arrived!

We just received the first prototype pictures from Leen at SteedSpeed of the much anticipated new twinscroll e36 turbo manifold we have been working on with him and hinting about for many months now to the Bimmerforum community, which will replace the original Steedspeed design used in all our current E36 turbo systems...

T4 bottom mount twin scroll design with single divided wastegate port... We are eagerly anticipating getting our hands on it to begin testing

The manifold has a much higher turbo flange to raise the turbo giving it the necessary fall to eliminate the need for a scavenge pump and possibly accomodate a larger turbo.... and we will be testing the single wastgate divided port option Leen has incorporated to see if this will work with a single large wastegate without boost creep to eliminate the cost of running two wastegates and the extra re-route piping involved with twin scroll design manifolds.

We will be updating this thread periodically once we have the working prototype in hand and ready to install/check fitment/ and then let the comparisons begin.

From the dyno info we have presented Leen already with our turbo systems using the old manifold, he is confident the new twinscroll setup and port design will most definitely increase spool up quickness and significant low end power/torque gains as well as overall increases across the entire rpm range from what we currently see.

It will not be a two piece design like the old manifold, but Leen designed the bolt holes to be much more easily accessible even as a one piece. Pricing is TBD at this point but will be competitively priced versus other twinscroll designs.

So on to the pics! FYI... The last pic is a close up of the split wastegate flange design that will be used on the e36 manifold. Pictured is the cummins diesel manifold Steedspeed sells that uses this design.

The CES MOTORSPORT Team

My Cars
    TurboVert, MCoupe, 335xi
    Way cool!

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Yes!!

I'd love to see some internal pictures or renderings.
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    When I spoke with steed a few weeks ago, he mentioned $1200 range . is this to be ballpark ?
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    98' M3/4/6T
    Finally!!!

My Cars
    Turbo S52 E39 M5
    Looks like a billet spa.

My Cars
    e30
    Should be a nice option for people. The packaging is nice and this setup is great for most cars here.
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    skateboard
    To make everyone understand I helped Leen telepathically on this project, and this is what I will be installing shortly for my next build on my board.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

Oh yeah... cannot wait for testing to begin
    1998 Turbo M3 Nick G tuned setting 5 934Whp 849Wtq @27.88 Psi. ignite E90 setting 6=

My Cars
    02 525it, 97 M3, 08 X5
    Game changer!! Very happy to see this does exist, what turbos are on the short list for fitment?

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith1054 View Post
    Game changer!! Very happy to see this does exist, what turbos are on the short list for fitment?
    I'll be running a gt42x.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    02 525it, 97 M3, 08 X5
    I'm very curious to see how the BW EFR8374 will fit.
    I like how the T4 flange is a separate piece so CES can figure out the best location to fit the most turbos

My Cars
    1998 e36
    What is the weight of that manifold? Modern manifolds are tubular lightweight the same way they are on N55 engine.

My Cars
    E28
    I like how the T4 flange is a separate piece so CES can figure out the best location to fit the most turbos
    Will this actually be able to fit the big case EFR?

My Cars
    95 M3 Turbo, 07 650XChlg
    Is that how it works? As a prototype SS will send CES the manifold in two parts and have them determine the final fit and it's done? Or will it be a case by case basis for each customer? (Probably only good for those clients using CES locally.)

WTB: E36 ZKW Headlights, ACS Rear Diffuser,E36 M mudflaps front + rear

My Cars
    02 525it, 97 M3, 08 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by raoke View Post
    Is that how it works? As a prototype SS will send CES the manifold in two parts and have them determine the final fit and it's done?
    That was my thinking, CES can use their experience to determine the best location and then Steedspeed can design the final weld fixture off that (otherwise every manifold is custom and much more expensive)

My Cars
    |99 Turbo M3 | 2K7 335|
    oh man,, exactly what I was waiting to upgrade my TT kit... I need to prepare the wallet, and the wife !!

is it only the prototype or it will no longer be a two part manifold ?
    Last edited by gnarfy; 10-23-2014 at 07:28 AM.

My Cars
    98 Turbo M3, 04 E53 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by litemup View Post
    Looks like a billet spa.
    Exactly what I thought...Im not an engineer but how will that WG port do the trick? is it baffled inside? is there enough room to mount the WG on without it hitting the rails? where does the Wg tube have room to go?

Not knocking it at all, just would like to see it mounted up.
    Last edited by NY98M3; 10-23-2014 at 08:40 AM.

98 Fern Green M3/2 - Precision 6870/AR Designs Twin Scroll/RK/E85
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmaxx - Family Whip
    2011 Pierce 75' Quint - Fire Apparatus West Islip FD

My Cars
    e30
    Thats a common way of using a single large wastegate on a twinscroll manifold. The wastegate port is divided and each side ties in with one of the banks. This method reduces cost and complexity and makes packaging easier.

Im surprised there has not been a cast manifold similar to this made in the past. This manifold should prove whether the manifold makes enough difference to justify on the popular 4094 setup.
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    95 M3
    Looks good, I wonder if a BW36x will fit?

Edit, I can see where a 90-degree wg port would work for high boost aplications, but for low boost? I'm sure all these test will be ironed out before official release.
    Last edited by hsvturbo; 10-23-2014 at 10:36 AM.
    WOT

My Cars
    CES Stage 3 Turbo M3
    That was my thinking, CES can use their experience to determine the best location and then Steedspeed can design the final weld fixture off that (otherwise every manifold is custom and much more expensive)
    Yes, we may have to do some adjustments with the manifold design once we get one from Leen and installed on our test car. We gave him as much info as we could based on the old design and fitment, where we could improve on space and angles etc... and some options for placement of the wg ports. We at first were considering dual wg setup, but then Leen thought we could work it out with the single split design, so we are very excited to try this out. It will definitely be attractive to the customer since this would be a much more efficient and engine bay heat friendly bottom mount, super strong (no pipe welds to crack) true twin scroll manifold, and still utilize a single large wg and re-route pipe like an open manifold... making it a much more cost effective way to obtain true twin scroll effectiveness, without having to purchase two wastegates or having to deal with the hassle, and/or fitment issues involved with additional plumbing to accommodate the extra hardware. It will come as a completed piece. We may have to modify it if necessary to ensure proper fitment, and then give that info to Leen for the final design that would be released. I believe that the turbosmart wg vband can also accommodate Tial as well, which is what we use on all our turbo systems, so we will be playing around with different wg setups too depending on what results we see.

The biggest test will be the single wastegate setup and how it will perform regulating boost as we would want. Proof will be in the pudding as the saying goes, so we will know once she's strapped on the dyno and let her rip. Leen has incorporated this split wg port design before on his diesel manifolds, and seems to be working very well, so we are pretty confident it will do the job. His manifold design makes more power for the diesel trucks than any other manifold out there according to his experience, and he's incorporated many of the same elements into the new e36 twinscroll design, so we are really chomping at the bit to get to the testing phase of this.

I will be back again to answer more questions as soon as we have the info for you.

My Cars
    02 525it, 97 M3, 08 X5
    Thanks for the detailed explanation, can't wait to see this on the dyno!
    Any idea on timing?

My Cars
    Estoril Mcoupe
    Perfect manifold for my cummins

My Cars
    CES Stage 3 Turbo M3
    Thanks for the detailed explanation, can't wait to see this on the dyno!
    Any idea on timing?
    Should have one in our hands in I would say about another 2 weeks.

My Cars
    turbo m3, Z4M, M5,
    Would it be possible to use it for top mount?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast