Thread: New E34 Transmission failing?!!? Troubleshooting before replacement

My Cars
    78' 300CD,92'525it

New E34 Transmission failing?!!? Troubleshooting before replacement

Ok, so here's the deal, just purchased another 95' 525i with the A4S-310R GM trans. Previous owner stated that he had numerous service tasks completed on it before he left for the military, when he got back he drove it for about 2 weeks and then the tranny started to hesitate in 1st, he then parked it and it sat till i purchased it yesterday.
    It was about 3hrs away, drove up, started it, shifted into reverse, it hesitated, but when i gave it gas it engaged. Same thing in first, give it gas and it engages, helps if i switch to manual shift as well. As it warmed up, it started to shift smoother but still hesitated when coming to a stop. Figured it was a fluid issue, as i have experienced this before. Drove it all the way home, doing about 75mph the whole way and it shifted great. Then this morning i go out and start it and try to pull it out and it now slips and shudders bad and will hardly engage at all. With both my other e34's this was a typical symptom of ATF fluid abuse. Both of those were just very low and i topped them off and they ran fine.
    So i bought about 5 qts of ATF, but when i pulled the drain plug, sooooo much fluid came out, like all of it, prob. close to 8 quarts. It was very dark and dirty. So i refilled it with fresh just to see if that would make a difference and it did, it got worse, now Trans program comes on after it pretty much revs free. Itll engage a bit on level ground, but then just trans programs and then it wont move at all.
    What happened? Was it overfilled and dirty and i burnt up clutches driving it home, or is the valve body/filter clogged now? I'm figuring i have to replace the Trans, but if there's a chance i could just get a filter and a real flush done, id rather do that. Help, need to figure out what to do fast as it was going to be my DD.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Tough call from here but it sounds done. FWIW I have a known good used trans for this car with 127k and would be happy to slap it on a pallet to Ohio. PM if interested

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    95 540iA,aprilia,MB
    if you wanted to just make sure it was topped off and not a fluid change,why did you remove the drain plug instead of the fill plug?

from the way you describe everything,it seems like it was low on fluid (delayed engagement) but it also sounds like the clutches are done-for now. sounds like you need a rebuild (like the fresh,strong detergent destroyed the clutches) but first use the proper technique and make sure the fluid is at the right level at least before you proceed.

I would have added the missing amount of fluid at a local shop before driving all that distance and despite what some say,if the fluid is burnt (and I found clutch,fiber like material in the pan that looked burnt),I would filter(old school method at home,but some trans shops can do it with a machine they use) the old fluid and re-use it,top it off properly,until you can (afford to) have the trans rebuilt. ..but hindsight is 20/20 and i'm not criticizing.

your symptoms doesn't seem like check balls or valve body related to me.

BMW really screwed the pooch with that life-time fill jazz.
    just because the world is the way the world is,doesn't mean the world is right.

My Cars
    93 525iT,91 318i
    For not much $$, you can drain& refill the trans with proper fluid and put in a fresh OEM filter. At this point, drain & refill will get you 90% of a flush anyway, but feel free to go the full 100% and flush it, you have nothing to lose except the cost of a few additional liters of ATF. While you're in there, pull the solenoids and check them for clogged passages and filter screens, clean the pan, etc. If it works, you may have bought some more time, but chances are, the trans will need rebuild in the next year or so.

My Cars
    78' 300CD,92'525it
    I had planned on doing a quick check where the car sat, but with kids by the time i got there it was 8pm and sheeting down rain. But yeah,I did pull the check plug first, that's where it spewed out alot of fluid. I misspoke when i said drain plug. After i saw how horrible the trans fluid was, that's when i decided to drain it the rest of the way and refill. Luckily i just found a low mileage a4s trans locally for $150!!. It was rear ended, but still drives around. Picking it up this weekend, cant go wrong there. Figure if i'm going to drain and do a filter, minus well do it on a tranny i know has been taken care of. Then i wont have to worry about it for hopefully as long as i have the car. I love E34's so much, but these GM trans are more problems than theyre worth, what i wouldn't give for a 5-speed and a gear box right about now.

My Cars
    1990 535/5
    swap time???

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkstarEuro View Post
    I had planned on doing a quick check where the car sat, but with kids by the time i got there it was 8pm and sheeting down rain. But yeah,I did pull the check plug first, that's where it spewed out alot of fluid. I misspoke when i said drain plug. After i saw how horrible the trans fluid was, that's when i decided to drain it the rest of the way and refill. Luckily i just found a low mileage a4s trans locally for $150!!. It was rear ended, but still drives around. Picking it up this weekend, cant go wrong there. Figure if i'm going to drain and do a filter, minus well do it on a tranny i know has been taken care of. Then i wont have to worry about it for hopefully as long as i have the car. I love E34's so much, but these GM trans are more problems than theyre worth, what i wouldn't give for a 5-speed and a gear box right about now.
    The trannys aren't so much the issue as the ludicrous recommendation that fluid needn't be changed. BMW knew they'd be off the hook by the time they failed.
    $150 for a trans is little more than core value, nice score.
    Last edited by ross1; 10-25-2014 at 07:58 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    78' 300CD,92'525it
    I completely agree, having grown up working on old hot rods first i learned a long time ago, change all fluids. Everytime i buy a new ride, i drain everything out and replace with fresh, atleast that way i'm aware of whats flowing inside there. And yeah, i considered a swap, but it's supposed to be my DD, so i just need to drive it.