Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of supercharger is this?

My Cars
    01 740il, 01 740i

What kind of supercharger is this?

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    The kind that's about to drill a hole in the oil filter if anything moves.
    Crazy how they routed the intake all the way around just because they installed it on the wrong side. Someone had too much time and not enough money.

Also, the seats have been downgraded for some reason. All US iLs came with comfort seats.
    See my E38 parts for sale on eBay: click here!
    PM me here for a 5% discount on any of them!

My Cars
    '01 740i, '93 300ZX TT
    Intake is very undersized, hack install, timing covers leaking to shit... pass.

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by psjr View Post
    Also, the seats have been downgraded for some reason. All US iLs came with comfort seats.
    Nope, not all of them

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    Quote Originally Posted by NordmanMg View Post
    Nope, not all of them
    Source on that info?

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    You can just look over cars dot com and you will find a bunch of them with those simple (standart) seats
    all upgrades where an options
    only thing was the e39 sport seats without adjustable back was not available for e38

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    Quote Originally Posted by NordmanMg View Post
    You can just look over cars dot com and you will find a bunch of them with those simple (standart) seats
    all upgrades where an options
    only thing was the e39 sport seats without adjustable back was not available for e38
    Maybe you misread where I said "iLs" and not "740s" or "E38s".

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    Yea my bad, thought you mean all e38s

My Cars
    E32 740il
    Its called a centrifugal supercharger, basically its a belt driven turbocharger, as the intake of the compressor is identical to a turbocharger, its simple and compact design is a perfect alternative to a standard twin scroll supercharger when space is very limited in the engine compartment.

My Cars
    1995 E38 740iL, 2005 E53
    That's some seriously dodgey crap! Oil filter, expansion tank, mounts for the blower... Not even going near the intake system... sheesh.
    05 e53 X5 4.4i
    03 e53 X5 3.0d
    95 e38 740iL (sold)
    93 e32 730i (sold)
    90 e32 735iL (sold)
    92 e34 535is(sold)
    89 e34 525 m20 to m30b35 conversion(sold)

My Cars
    03 325xi, 01 740iL
    Whoever did that isn't real bright. You don't need a BOV on an automatic and you certainly don't need one on such a small little supercharger.

Somebody just wanted to hear the psssssWOOOSHHHH and it probably doesn't even make much of one.

My Cars
    2015 328i M Sport
    What a fail.

Why is it almost every navarro violet i see gets destroyed one way or another...

My Cars
    98 318ti&m3, 00 Dinan 7
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonatrbo View Post
    Whoever did that isn't real bright. You don't need a BOV on an automatic and you certainly don't need one on such a small little supercharger.
    Is there something different about letting off the throttle and letting the throttle plate slam closed when you're at 6000rpm and 6psi (just throwing a number out there) on an automatic vs a manual? That pressure has to go somewhere.....
    00 Dinan S3 Supercharged 740il - the cup holders totally work
    98 318ti M-Sport 5spd
    98 M3 Sedan 5spd

My Cars
    '97 740iL, '97 540i
    yea, cosmetically it isn't the most awesome. But if it works and the price is right, who cares? The bracket fabrication looks nice. If the plumbing was done in black it wouldn't look so ugly. with the extra plumbing, you could possibly add an intercooler somewhere.

My Cars
    Suck
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonatrbo View Post

Somebody just wanted to hear the psssssWOOOSHHHH and it probably doesn't even make much of one.
    The BOV keeps the bearings in the blower from getting wiped out. Surprised more SC setups don't include it really, even set up for recirc. Not sure what having an automatic has to do with it, the BOV is for dumping the pressure from the charge pipes rather than putting the load on the blower when the throttle shuts, throttles shut whether you're at a stoplight or braking for a corner etc...

Is that interior aubergine?

Go ahead and bite. Plenty for everyone.

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    It looks like it was lavender grey (the E38 interior purple grey color) but the seats and door panels and front armrest were swapped to black, leaving the center console, under dash, carpet, and door thresholds unswapped.
    As I mentioned before, when they did so they must have sourced the seats from a different car from the door panels.
    Last edited by psjr; 10-22-2014 at 08:06 PM.

My Cars
    M3 w/Gt35r
    Nice, that's a serious hack job. Disaster waiting to happen.

My Cars
    03 325xi, 01 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by deathsled View Post
    Is there something different about letting off the throttle and letting the throttle plate slam closed when you're at 6000rpm and 6psi (just throwing a number out there) on an automatic vs a manual? That pressure has to go somewhere.....
    With a turbo the BOV keeps the compressor from stalling when lifting to shift. Typically with an automatic you dont lift for shifts.

...But I'm thinking of drag racing, I guess for road racing you still have plenty of high rpm, off throttle driving.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Binjammin View Post
    The BOV keeps the bearings in the blower from getting wiped out. Surprised more SC setups don't include it really, even set up for recirc. Not sure what having an automatic has to do with it, the BOV is for dumping the pressure from the charge pipes rather than putting the load on the blower when the throttle shuts, throttles shut whether you're at a stoplight or braking for a corner etc...
    I've never, ever seen a BOV on a supercharger setup before, but I'm much more familiar with turbo setups.

But I do see your point about protecting the compressor from shock.
    Last edited by daytonatrbo; 10-23-2014 at 11:17 AM.
    Current:
    2009 xdrive35D

Past:
    2003 325xi
    2001 740iL
    1993 740iL

My Cars
    1995 E38 740iL, 2005 E53
    Quote Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post
    The bracket fabrication looks nice.
    You're kidding, right?
    As a temporary bracket designed to get you home, if you had some 1/4" rod and a stick welder, it might do the trick.
    05 e53 X5 4.4i
    03 e53 X5 3.0d
    95 e38 740iL (sold)
    93 e32 730i (sold)
    90 e32 735iL (sold)
    92 e34 535is(sold)
    89 e34 525 m20 to m30b35 conversion(sold)

My Cars
    2001 Bmw 740i Sport
    ill give the guy credit. he tried and i bet you regardless of what everyone is saying it runs nice and sounds great. props to him for doing something diff. and LOL @ you guys. i see noone has changed here, still lots of negative Nancy's.
    "lifes good, Be patient"

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoyhWzIVKv9GoZcRz7hQesg

My Cars
    2001 bmw 740i
    Ghetto supercharger, pre built supercharged usually cost more than the car (dinan).

My Cars
    '01 740i, '93 300ZX TT
    I give ZERO credit when it's obvious he's neglected maintenance over go-fast mods.

My Cars
    740iL 97 M3 56 190sl
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpina7 View Post
    ill give the guy credit. he tried and i bet you regardless of what everyone is saying it runs nice and sounds great. props to him for doing something diff. and LOL @ you guys. i see noone has changed here, still lots of negative Nancy's.
    +1 lots of talk, no action
    2001 740iL Alpine White/Sand Leather, DINAN S1(package includes: Stage 3 Engine Software; Automatic Transmission Software; High Flow Cold Air Intake; Free Flow Exhaust; High Flow Throttle Body; Stage 1 Suspension System; Dinan Floor Mat Set; Serial Numbered Dinan S1-740 Plaque; Dinan Deck Lid Badge ), VF-Engineering Supercharger, 18" M-Pars, UUC 25.4mm front bar and 15.6mm rear bar, PerformanceGearing 3.38 LSD, DINAN Stage 2 Brake Conversion Kit, Bluetooth Kit, Widescreen 16x9 display, MKIV Nav, Ceramic 40 tint, DINAN M5 Monoball Kit, Umnitza Orion V2 AE 6K, ACS front spoiler, Euro OEM Trailer Hitch. DINAN Camber Plates.

My Cars
    2001 Bmw 740i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by PiotrC70 View Post
    I give ZERO credit when it's obvious he's neglected maintenance over go-fast mods.
    give me a break. did you ever think that maybe the valve cover gaskets started leaking AFTER he put the SC? or maybe he has a death in the family and needs the money and is forced to sell.?!?!?!

another reason i dont like to post or rear here anymore. too many pansies. hell that dude could well have a book full of maintenance records, you don't know that he doesn't. grow up
    Last edited by Alpina7; 10-27-2014 at 11:20 AM.
    "lifes good, Be patient"

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoyhWzIVKv9GoZcRz7hQesg

My Cars
    2001 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpina7 View Post
    give me a break. did you ever think that maybe the valve cover gaskets started leaking AFTER he put the SC? or maybe he has a death in the family and needs the money and is forced to sell.?!?!?!

another reason i dont like to post or rear here anymore. too many pansies. hell that dude could well have a book full of maintenance records, you don't know that he doesn't. grow up
    I dont like people like you with your logic and common sense, I mean who are you to enlighten us to a guy who made a custom system that most on here just talk about. Now you are going to tell us that efficiency is better than cosmetics, I mean look at that piping, bro-science says that its better to have short piping than long because long doesn't look cool and cool is always good for the intake charge. GTFO, your voodoo reasoning is not needed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast