Thread: Time to sell my baby...need help with pricing

My Cars
    1998 BMW Sedan 3.2 L S52

Time to sell my baby...need help with pricing

I would appreciate some feedback from the community on a reasonable "private party" value for my 1998 M3...not a stealership value

• 124,000 miles
    • No rust...no damage...very few dings or chips
    • 4 door automatic Black on Black
    • Full leather, sun roof, power doors/seats/windows
    • After market Alpine sound system with sub, 5 channel amp, and all new speakers ($1200)
    • 2 sets tires in good condition - Continental Extreme Contact DW and Bridgestone Blizzak
    • Mobile One 0w-40 every 6k...Pentosin ATF (tranny and power steering)...OEM coolant...ATE Super Blue Brakes

Recent (after 100,00 miles) work done

• NEW coils & plugs, VCG, rebuilt vanos, thermostat & housing, Stewart water pump, CCV, pulleys, tensioners, belts, O2 sensors, fuel filter, tranny mounts, engine mounts, lower ca bushings, tie rods, sway bar links, front struts & mounts, rear shocks & mounts, rear toe bushings, X brace, battery, hood struts, all filters, all fluids, front 1/2 exhaust (includes cats), r/l front calipers, front rotors, all pads (ceramic), floor mats, gas door hinge, 2 new lock actuators, rear map pockets, front right seat motor & air bag indicator...
    • ALL parts OEM - Lemforder, Brembo, Akebono, Meyle, Bosch etc.
    • Car is STOCK besides upgraded sound system

Not sure what to ask...especially this close to winter. Last year my M3 turned into a plow for some of the winter....can't do it again this year.

Thanks!!

My Cars
    ''95 M3, '17 M2
    Great maint list. Definitely top 20% of upkeep. Think it totally depends on actual condition of the interior and exterior and the damage history if any. If everything is top notch, I'd put it at 8k+ even with the auto in SoCal. No clue about MI.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    ^^ I disagree..

Unfortunately, despite it being in great condition, the automatic trans is a big hit to the value of these cars. Now that e36 m3s(higher priced well maintained ones) are predominantly being bought by enthusiasts who 95% of the time want a manual transmission).

Id say $7-8k could be attainable if OP is willing to wait A LONNNNG time for the right buyer...

I think $6k is more realistic... which still would take a while IMO.

My Cars
    2009 328xi Wagon
    I would say the $6,500 range

My Cars
    1997 M3 1991 318iC
    No rust after being winter driven in MI? You must be dedicated to washing the underside.

I flew to Ohio years ago to look at a rust free car. I belive the seller really thought it was rust free.

To my west coast eyes it was quite rusty. Different strokes.

My Cars
    1998 BMW Sedan 3.2 L S52
    I think I will start at $7500 and see if I get any bites...the interior and paint are really good. If not, I may drive it through winter again since my Blizzaks will hold another season, as this car will be easier to sell in the spring/summer (I think). Most of you feel the same as I do...the upkeep on the car while extensive unfortunately is unlikely to translate into a much higher resale value. I paid $9400 in 2009 when it had 72k on it...likely spent another $3-4k on it in upgrades. If I get $7000 out of it I got to drive a BMW M3 for 5 years for about $120 a month!! I'll take that deal alllll day long!

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5

Time to sell my baby...need help with pricing

$6500-7500 is what I'm thinking. Sounds like a nice car with the bummeromatic. Maybe a candidate for an ambitious 5 speed swapper?

If it was a manual trans car id say $10k with the described condition, mileage, maintenance and location. If it were a documented west coast car with no rust I could see it maybe even going for up to $12k to the right buyer.
    Last edited by RightYouAreKen; 10-21-2014 at 12:34 AM.
    1998 Titanium/Dove M3/4/5
    2020 Toyota 4Runner

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2012 C63
    If you aren't in a huge hurry to sell start it at $8500 or $8999 - you never know who will bite. You aren't going to scare off any potential buyers at $8.5K vs $7.5K.

I agree that $7K would be great for the car. Consider parting out the sound system if it's worth anything and going back to stock.

My Cars
    1997 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by realjones View Post
    If you aren't in a huge hurry to sell start it at $8500 or $8999 - you never know who will bite. You aren't going to scare off any potential buyers at $8.5K vs $7.5K.

I agree that $7K would be great for the car. Consider parting out the sound system if it's worth anything and going back to stock.
    If it's anything like mine, the stock sound system was completely worthless and a mess of useless wiring and blown speakers.. I usually know going into an install that I will never remove the aftermarket system from the car because of the huge amount of work it would take to simply get the stock system working again. You won't get your money back, but screw removing it

$7500-8500 asking price sounds fine to me.

1997 M3 (SOLD) :o 2000 528i Sport (SOLD)

My Cars
    a few e30s
    Can I start the bidding at tree fiddy?

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    The auto is killing. I hate to say it but I really think its a $6,000 car.

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine 318is View Post
    The auto is killing. I hate to say it but I really think its a $6,000 car.
    His car is not a 6k car. I've been looking around for my dad and I'd say he could ask $8500 - $9000 and take $7-$8000.

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    Quote Originally Posted by KnudsonsM3 View Post
    His car is not a 6k car. I've been looking around for my dad and I'd say he could ask $8500 - $9000 and take $7-$8000.
    Maybe if it also had a new radiator, headgasket and 5 speed.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by KnudsonsM3 View Post
    Gotta disagree..

Its unfortunate but that automatic really does kill the value, despite the car being in great condition....

I think $6k is a reasonable expectation, and I believe at that price it will still take quite a while to sell simply because people looking to buy an e36 m3 don't want an automatic transmission.

My Cars
    2009 328xi Wagon
    +1,
    After having recently been in the market and spending 3+ months monitoring and pursuing every M3 on craigslist within 200 miles, the Auto M3s were the only cars that still for sale over that 3 month span (especially the convertibles). The aftermarket sub is a huge turnoff for many as well. I recently picked up a 1999 M3 5spd convertible, bone stock, no rust, service records and the big ticket PMCS done with hardtop and extra set of wheels and tires for $7500 and to be honest I could have probably gotten it for less. But when I log back into craigslist most of the Autos are still for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by rajicase View Post
    Gotta disagree..

Its unfortunate but that automatic really does kill the value, despite the car being in great condition....

I think $6k is a reasonable expectation, and I believe at that price it will still take quite a while to sell simply because people looking to buy an e36 m3 don't want an automatic transmission.

My Cars
    2010 E82 135i
    Your car is definitely a 7,000+ dollar car, don't listen to anyone that says otherwise. Especially considering the low miles and how well maintained it is

My Cars
    1999 m3 convertible 5spd
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal24k View Post
    +1,
    After having recently been in the market and spending 3+ months monitoring and pursuing every M3 on craigslist within 200 miles, the Auto M3s were the only cars that still for sale over that 3 month span (especially the convertibles). The aftermarket sub is a huge turnoff for many as well. I recently picked up a 1999 M3 5spd convertible, bone stock, no rust, service records and the big ticket PMCS done with hardtop and extra set of wheels and tires for $7500 and to be honest I could have probably gotten it for less. But when I log back into craigslist most of the Autos are still for sale.
    PMCS? What are the details of the 99 you got? Condition, miles, etc? I have a 99 vert 5spd with 65K miles in VG condition.

My Cars
    2009 328xi Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by emccallum View Post
    PMCS? What are the details of the 99 you got? Condition, miles, etc? I have a 99 vert 5spd with 65K miles in VG condition.
    Preventative maintenance checks & services. It had 102k, garaged, no rust, all major service done. After I sold the hardtop and extra wheels it put me in it at $5800.

My Cars
    M3 Saloon
    If paint and interior is pristine I would say he could get $7500. A lot of maintenance was done which says a lot, but the cooling system was missed. I like that you went with the Stewart pump, which is 4x the cost of a oe metal impeller pump so def didn't cheap out. You did vanos and ccv, which means its likely going to be a good place to pick up for the next owner. But the sound system means very little unfortunately. It almost takes away value. Front suspension is still original? Idk black/ black is one of the least liked color combos. If paint and interior are just eh $5500-$6600 max condition depending.
    Last edited by hide1; 11-24-2014 at 11:04 AM.
    If the mind can conceive it, & you believe it, you will achieve it. - Napolean Hill
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1998 Alpine White & 1998 Arctic Silver ///m3/4/5
    JC Intake - ASC Delete - Dinan TB - Flow Matched 21.5# Injectors - JC Tune - SS Euro Reps (modified to retain SAP) - z3m ssk - Eisenmann Race 76mm - Yokohama Advan S2 - Squared LTW's - FK Silverline +X - Rogue FCAB/ RTAB/ RSM/ TM - X-Brace - CDV Delete -Racing Dynamics F&R Strut Braces - NGK BKR6E- German Castrol 0w-40

M_3_X is offline Breaking Stereotypes BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '02 M3, '05 X3, '91 E30
    Don't sweat it too much, just list it at a reasonable price, the market will speak for itself. Depending on your urgency to sell, you can get more/less money for it.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
    -Mario Andretti.
    1991 E30 325ic, AW, Black leather, Black top, three pedals.

My Cars
    2009 328xi Wagon
    So what did it sell for?