Thread: First impressions Z3 3.0 Coupe vs 2.5 roadie

My Cars
    Y2K 2.5 , '01 3.0 Cpe

First impressions Z3 3.0 Coupe vs 2.5 roadie

So I have had my roadie 3 ys and just took delivery of the coupe last week. Right off the bat, the coupe rides stiffer then the roadie, wya stiffer, and no cowl shake. The 3.0 motor also kicks more ass , with more immmdiate acceleration. They are also roadster feels smaller, even tho its the same wheel base, etc. The coupe garners way more thumbs up and 'cool car' comments then the roadster ever did.

I have to defend getting a second z3 to almost everyone I know and telling them that they really are2 different cars usually gets blank stares, bu they truly are. Will I keep both? Id like to. The 5 sp manual roadster is perfect for those weekend drives and the getting away from it all feeling. The coupe will become my DD since the drive to work in NYC is all stop and go, so the automatic is great. Yep, keep them both, and get Mrs Wrench a nice 1.9 auto roadster... an all z3 family, right?
    Suck, bang, blow - that's what it's all about.

2000 Z3, 2.3L Roadster, Blk / 2001 Z3 Coupe, 3.0 , Hell Rot II / 2000 Road Star 1.6L ( bike) Blk w/flames
    '04 Suzuki Savage .65L Grey ( our loaner bike ) / '04 Astro ( HMS Hellion) Ship - see http://thebrigands.com for pics
    / '94 Brand H Del Sol

My Cars
    01 2.5i, 98 1.9 DASC & M
    Very cool. Nice accounting of your experience. Be careful, these things can become an addiction and you'll need intervention.

Even though many will disagree, the 5 speed auto is a good transmission and can add to the driveability of these cars. Your story confirms in some ways my experience. Which version of the Z3 is best? The one your driving!

Enjoy

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed
    Make sure to use the Steptronic feature on the coupe. Here's a vid I did recently demonstrating how it works...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUoP...ExffFvTBNyo44Q

My Cars
    Y2K 2.5 , '01 3.0 Cpe
    The DBW lag on the 3.0 takes a bit of getting used to, nothing that 5 min of driving doesnt take care of. And my left foot keeps coming off the floor, to hit the clutch.

2000 Z3, 2.3L Roadster, Blk / 2001 Z3 Coupe, 3.0 , Hell Rot II / 2000 Road Star 1.6L ( bike) Blk w/flames
    '04 Suzuki Savage .65L Grey ( our loaner bike ) / '04 Astro ( HMS Hellion) Ship - see http://thebrigands.com for pics
    / '94 Brand H Del Sol

My Cars
    01 2.5i, 98 1.9 DASC & M
    Quote Originally Posted by wrench13 View Post
    And my left foot keeps coming off the floor, to hit the clutch.
    I do that all too often. The bad part is when you complete the motion pushing down and catching the edge of the brake pedal.

I don't get all the complaints about DBW lag. It is still far more responsive than a four barrel.

- - - Updated - - -

lean on it don't stomp on it.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by steve f View Post
    I don't get all the complaints about DBW lag. It is still far more responsive than a four barrel.

lean on it don't stomp on it.
    Maybe that is why I never have a problem with DBW, I dont tend to have jerky on/off type throttle behaviour and Ive never noticed any notable lag with any DBW BMW's.

OP great comparison but, where da pics @???

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0
    I don't notice any DBW lag on my 2001 3.0 either. I don't drive it daily to work, so here in AZ I kick my flip flops off and drive it barefoot. Great feel and I never catch anything with my foot I am not suppose to.

My Cars
    Y2K 2.5 , '01 3.0 Cpe
    Another thing that has grown on me completely is the chrome line interior trim. So much cleaner and, well, automotive then the fake wood trim on my roadster. Had the coupe up to 110mph today. Expectedly its just as stable as the roadie, feels like it has a lot more to give, too. Took it to a local Sunday morning car meet, a meet thats 99% Detroit iron, where it got quite a bit of attention. Car guys seem to know its something special, among the 30 or 40 Corvettes, dozens of Mustangs, GTOs, IROCs, etc, etc, etc. Had one guy who owns a 99 M52 in Hell Rot 1 just drool over the condition on mine. He also has a Ferrari, his coupe is hif fav driver. Put a big smile on my youngest sons face when I let him drive for a bit.

/ '94 Brand H Del Sol

My Cars
    01 2.5i, 98 1.9 DASC & M
    cool. The coupes are much more solid than the roadsters. That is just the nature of the beast. I understand that the coupe was the stiffest body that BMW had built to date.

The wood trim is true walnut burl veneer. I like it. To each their own.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by steve f View Post
    I understand that the coupe was the stiffest body that BMW had built to date.
    At the time it was the stiffest chassis BMW had built abut at 16,400 nm/deg that was a little short lived. Notably, the Z4 coupe almost doubled that figure. To those who have driven a Z4 Coupe this should not be surprising, those cars feel like they are milled out of a solid block of aluminum - I've yet to drive my M Coupe so cant comment on how they compare but the Z4 roadster does feel a LOT "tighter" than the Z3 roadster... still not as much fun though.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    01 2.5i, 98 1.9 DASC & M
    I like my roadsters, but facts is facts. Interesting about the Z4 coupe.