Thread: How to open a locked door?

My Cars
    Two '01 740iLs

How to open a locked door?

I changed one of my doors, and I can't get it open again. It's my rear passenger door. Anyone know how to open without breaking my door panel? I tried yanking on the cables, and nothing. I have an extra exterior door handle so if I need to destroy my current one, that's fine. Thanks.
    - Sean
    RIP Blitzkrieg

My Cars
    Personally, I have no idea, so here's a bump in hopes someone can help.

I do recall reading threads where people couldn't open their doors, and sadly I believe it required the destruction of the door card to gain access. Please don't go destroying anything yet based on that though. I'm sure someone who knows what they're talking about will chime in at some point.

My Cars
    Two '01 740iLs
    I'm going to try and pull the hinges first and see. Thanks.
    - Sean
    RIP Blitzkrieg

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    the only way to do it is by removing the door panel it will be tricky but it will work good luck
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    Two '01 740iLs
    The door panel is locked in with the door closed
    - Sean
    RIP Blitzkrieg

My Cars
    2001 740i short/sport
    Dang man. Hope you get this figured out. Sounds frustrating.

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLadiesMan View Post
    The door panel is locked in with the door closed
    well you will have to remove it from INSIDE my friend there no other way around it.
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    Two '01 740iLs
    Everyday I drive this car, I hope someone slams in the back of it and writes it off. I love E38s, just not mine.
    - Sean
    RIP Blitzkrieg

My Cars
    1995 BMW 750i DG21097
    I had this same problem on my front passenger door. It would not open from either in or out. I was fearing I would have to cut the door panel. I read somewhere on a forum that it was possible to remove the rear panel by removing the seat-belt pillar. I don't remember exactly but I figured it was worth a shot to try it on the front door. I removed the screw from the inner handle and pulled on the handle firmly until I heard the pop of the center clip detaching. Then I pulled on the outer edge of the panel popping the clips out one by one. I eventually had to pull forcefully on the panel to get it removed but it came out suffering only minor damage. Mostly just clips breaking off. Oh and I had forgotten to remove the inner chrome trim before attempting to remove the panel. So that suffered a bit. I don't know about the rear doors but I would definitely give it a try.