Thread: Just got a new 135i; huge number of codes after some playful driving.

My Cars
    1996 BMW E3X

Just got a new 135i; huge number of codes after some playful driving.

I've owned two E36s in the past, and recently purchased a used 2009 BMW 135i. Had it inspected at a shop after some misfiring during the test drive. The shop told me it was a misfire in cylinder 1 but that I'd have to pay more to get it diagnosed. Beyond that, the car was fine. Some oil seepage out of the oil pan and some other oil seeping from one of the oil line seals. Owner told me he'd get the misfire taken care of - and he did. I bought the car off him.

At this point, I should mention that the car is probably around a stage 2 in performance. RPI twin exhaust, AFE dual intake and there was apparently a device in the boost manifold or something of the like that manipulated the boost numbers causing the engine to throw a bunch of low-boost codes - but also provide a bunch of extra boost. These were all fixed when the owner decided to have the car smogged and the misfire fixed.

About 400 miles into owning the car, I went for a very enthusiastic drive and the car threw itself into limp mode. The whole car was juddering and the SES light came on. I took the car home and put my OBD reader on and got 10 codes.

P22AA (thrown twice)
    B2AAA (thrown twice)
    B2A50 (thrown twice)
    P3031
    P3335
    P0000 (thrown twice)

I have a feeling that the crappiness of my code reader is causing me these headaches and I'd be better off getting a higher end code reader as I'm a big DIY'r. When I restarted the car and took it easy, the car dind't act up.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be? Coil pack? Injector? Spark plug?

My Cars
    2009 BMW 135i
    You'll need a laptop and quite a bit of later model software to diagnose the car yourself. Also look into making or buying a smoke tester if you're serious about working on it all yourself.

A boost leak or coil pack could both cause those sorts of issues. The plastic boost pipes are known to crack at the throttle body at above stock boost levels.
    I would also undo any mod that causes the car to throw codes.

My Cars
    z3
    So the car had a bunch of mods and they removed them before selling them to you?

If so I'd look at the tune on the car...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1996 BMW E3X
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    So the car had a bunch of mods and they removed them before selling them to you?

If so I'd look at the tune on the car...

I had it brought into a shop and it looks like they removed all the piggybacked stuff on the car. Apparently theres no tune - just a module that reported low boost, forcing higher boost.

I found out these cars have very low spark life mileage values and my shop told me that it'd be more worth it to try to replace all the spark plugs than to replace the another misfiring coil (cylinder 3) especially since this same issue happened when I was test driving the car 500 miles before this problem re-occurred in a different cylinder.

I'll report back with my results.

My Cars
    '07 Z4MC, '12 128i
    Check the injectors as well while you're investigating. They seem to go out fairly often as well.

2015 ProSolo STX Class Champion

My Cars
    1996 BMW E3X
    Quote Originally Posted by M0nK3y View Post
    Check the injectors as well while you're investigating. They seem to go out fairly often as well.

Replaced spark plugs in banks 1-3 with gapped NGK 5992s and looks like the car's behaving again. Valve cover gasket appears to be seeping oil into cylinder 3 slowly (where the misfire occurred - Looks like I'll have to clear a weekend to do that down the road).

Found out the car has a TurboTuner by Split Second in line with the TMAP sensor. Humm. I wonder how many horses my car is making at the wheel.