Thread: Why why why tell me why

My Cars
    95 740 il

Why why why tell me why

2000 740 il when reading my plugs, i had some sooty, some oily and some normal wear, i was using a plus 4 set up but didnt really like so i just went with ngk 's. My dilemna is under hard acceleration i was getting predetonation( someone please explain that to me and how to remedy).suspecting my maf and no real tools to check it, i unplugged it , car missed a beat for a second or two then went back to idle.
    Took her out for a mile spin and she stretched out like a beast! So please kick in and explain why it seamed to run better with maf unplugged, what are pro'/cons of running without maf and will it run leaner or richer?

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Moved to the E38 forum.... again.

My Cars
    Two '01 740iLs
    Your maf is probably part of the issue then. Knock sensors might be an issue too.
    - Sean
    RIP Blitzkrieg

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    If the car runs better without the MAF, the MAF is bad.
    Imagine how nice it would run with a good, working MAF.....
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    Quote Originally Posted by sealbeach740 View Post
    If the car runs better without the MAF, the MAF is bad.
    Imagine how nice it would run with a good, working MAF.....
    The World is ruled by Kings and Queens that blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
    When answering my questions please use a qualifier if you are not sure.
    The more I work on this car the less I respect German engineering.
    When you speak in Absolutes you are always wrong!

Semper Fi

My Cars
    E71 X6 4.4L "BatMobile"
    I have an MAF. It's used but IMO still very good... I replaced it as part of a tune up but still kept it bc it's good... Make me an offer if u like

My Cars
    Two '01 740iLs
    I have an extra MAF as well. You have my number
    - Sean
    RIP Blitzkrieg