RM European Auto Parts

Thread: valve cover gasket replace FAIL? 01 e39 525i (ya 525, I know)

My Cars
    02 M62 Dinan 5 (SLOW)

valve cover gasket replace FAIL? 01 e39 525i (ya 525, I know)

I bought a 2001 525 as of recent, I needed a good DD to keep miles off the e60. Anyways I went through the car last week to get it up to par and there was a decent amount of oil in the RF (pass side) of the engine comp. I assumed it was the valve cover gasket and got to work. Its no quick job but its a valve cover gasket. I swapped out the gasket and spark plug ring gaskets and re-assembled the car. I looked and saw it didnt call for any rtv, so I didnt use any. I put an extra 5psi torque on the bolts even. The car still has a small amount of oil seeping and the fan blows it all over the passenger side of the comp. Before I lost a lot more oil, so its better, my question is do these valve covers warp? Should I have used RTV? I hate any oil seepage whatsoever. What do I do? Anybody experienced this with the M54? Never had a VCG not fix the issue. Thanks?

Chad (awesome signature) I dont know how to create a signature
    Last edited by 1gr8e39; 10-15-2014 at 12:31 PM. Reason: wrote it as if english was a second lang lol

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    The directions call for a small amount of high-quality silicone (I like Permatex UltraGrey) at the seams of the timing cover, and on the rear half-moons. It is also crucial that you replace the 15 rubber grommets . Do not overtorque the nuts - when they go tight, you're done, they are hitting the cylinder head.

Yes, the valvecovers warp, and they also crack, if the wrong nuts are used. However, you've said you "assumed" the problem was the VCG. You should clean the engine, and make sure that's where the oil's coming from. It might be the timing chain tensioner, or....?

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3/4/5
    Also it pays to use the factory gasket. I Put in an aftermarket part that was terrible...too thin to be effective.
    Marc Plante
    E36 M3/4/5 193k
    Konis+ Dinan Springs, Understeer SS, Shepott European steering Wheel, ZKW Ellipsoids, ECIS Intake+ ATE Foam filter, Stromung Exhaust, Recaro SRDs. JVC Arsenal Head Unit. Alpine MRV-F300 Amp, ADS 535i components, JL Audio Stealthbox Subs

My Track Rig:
    i7700 / 2080 PC with Assetto Corsa and Content Manager, Samsung Odyssey+ VR goggles
    Fanatec CSP wheel and pedals, SSH Shifter, recaro seat. Home built cockpit
    Mt Pleasant, SC, USA

My Cars
    1991 325i
    Remember, that wonderful crankcase vent system can clog up and force oil out of the valve cover gasket.
    1991 BMW 325i(Current Daily) (S52)
    I have carburetors, and I'm not afraid to use them!
    There are always other fish (engines) in the sea (Craigslist)
    Life is about enjoying the engine you are sitting behind.

My Cars
    02 M62 Dinan 5 (SLOW)
    What is recommended to check the crankcase vent system? I did use the factory replacement. Its definitely not coming from either of the timing cover or the rear half moons. its within a few inches from the front of the pass. side front of the cover. Your talking about the 15 rubber grommets on the bolts? Im sure your right, either its the valve cover itself and it has warped OR its leaking elsewhere. Basically its dripping onto the lower radiator hose. i can get pics

My Cars
    1991 325i
    As far as I know you cant really check the crankcase vent, but at a certain age/mileage they need to be done because the hoses get brittle from all the hot oil.
    1991 BMW 325i(Current Daily) (S52)
    I have carburetors, and I'm not afraid to use them!
    There are always other fish (engines) in the sea (Craigslist)
    Life is about enjoying the engine you are sitting behind.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Well, actually, you can test the crankcase vent system. It requires a Slack tube Manometer, and a modified oil filler cap. I have this tool; it only cost about $65; one of my cheapest tools. The crankcase vent system should have a vacuum of 3-5 inches of WATER. Note that ordinary vacuum gauges read in inches of MERCURY, and will therefore be useless for this test.

If you lift the oil fill cap off while the engine is running at idle, and you have pressure, instead of a very minor vacuum, then you have a serious problem. If this is the case, step 1 will be to replace the crankcase vent valve (cyclone separator), and the 4 associated hoses....and you should also clean the oil dipstick tube.

The timing cover seams are 2" back from the front of the engine. The issue could be there - especially if the cylinder head has ever been milled. However, again...you must clean the area, and find out where the highest wet point is. The timing chain tensioner is a couple inches below the VCG, and pretty much exactly where you're describing.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    +1 I made one for about 10 bucks:
    Last edited by dworthy; 10-16-2014 at 03:48 AM.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    02 M62 Dinan 5 (SLOW)
    Great! Ill get into it and post if I have any questions or an answer. Thanks dirtracer.

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3/4/5
    Thanks for the ccv test. As the owner of an aging e36, I've always wondered when it was time to go after it.
    Marc Plante
    E36 M3/4/5 193k
    Konis+ Dinan Springs, Understeer SS, Shepott European steering Wheel, ZKW Ellipsoids, ECIS Intake+ ATE Foam filter, Stromung Exhaust, Recaro SRDs. JVC Arsenal Head Unit. Alpine MRV-F300 Amp, ADS 535i components, JL Audio Stealthbox Subs

My Track Rig:
    i7700 / 2080 PC with Assetto Corsa and Content Manager, Samsung Odyssey+ VR goggles
    Fanatec CSP wheel and pedals, SSH Shifter, recaro seat. Home built cockpit
    Mt Pleasant, SC, USA

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    For everyone's benefit, maybe dworthy and O2 pilot will post pictures of the slack-tube manometers they made at home?

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    02 M62 Dinan 5 (SLOW)
    Yeah lets see them if you would

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    See O2 pilot's epic thread:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...lacement/page8

Page 1, post 3, gives a description of the tool, and how to make it.
    Page 8, post 183, shows dworthy's tool, made at home.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Funny, I posted them inline, but I guess the forum didn't like it or something....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member