BMW of Bloomfield
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: WTB: E36 M3 - Estoril Sedan - Manual Transmission (M3/4/5)

My Cars
    97' M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by suprtran View Post
    Strange as to why CarFax would have it as a total loss, when the title is clean. I typically prefer to use AutoCheck (Experian's version) because from my experience, it tends to yield information on accidents more than CarFax. Did you get a chance to run the VIN on AutoCheck?

Not a fan of Automatic either, but there are kits out there for a manual tranny conversion or you can even source the parts yourself and get the job done for <$5k. Nevertheless, I'm near you in NB. Would love to meet up to check out the car when you gain possession of it.
    Simple actually because each state has its own laws and regulations. For example, if you buy a salvage car in MD and register in MD, it will be a salvage title. But, if you buy a salvage car in VA and register it in MD, it will be a clean title car but with salvage history of course.

My Cars
    German
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitaliy View Post
    Simple actually because each state has its own laws and regulations. For example, if you buy a salvage car in MD and register in MD, it will be a salvage title. But, if you buy a salvage car in VA and register it in MD, it will be a clean title car but with salvage history of course.
    I had no idea a brand on a title does NOT carryover to other states. Thanks for clarifying.
    2006 E53 X5 4.8is
    2007 E86 M Coupe
    1997 E36 M3
    2006 E85 IB M Roadster (sold)
    2002 E39 540i (sold)
    2013 E89 Z4 sDrive35i (sold)
    2011 E92 M3 (sold)
    2001 E46 M3 (sold)
    2002 996TT (sold)
    2007 R56 Cooper S (sold)
    2009 E82 135i (sold)
    2006 E85 BSM M Roadster (sold)
    2003 E46 M3 (sold)
    2002 E46 325Ci (sold)

My Cars
    E30 M3 & E36 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by suprtran View Post
    Strange as to why CarFax would have it as a total loss, when the title is clean. I typically prefer to use AutoCheck (Experian's version) because from my experience, it tends to yield information on accidents more than CarFax. Did you get a chance to run the VIN on AutoCheck?

Not a fan of Automatic either, but there are kits out there for a manual tranny conversion or you can even source the parts yourself and get the job done for <$5k. Nevertheless, I'm near you in NB. Would love to meet up to check out the car when you gain possession of it.
    I didn't get an AutoCheck. Should you have access, I can provide you with the VIN and you can run an AutoCheck on the car and let me know what it yields.

I wasn't interested in performing a manual transmission swap. I plan on driving the regularly and didn't want to be forced to drive around in a car with automatic until I found time to perform the swap. Knowing me, the down time for the car to perform the swap would take a better part of a year and I don't want the car to be out of commission for that long. I've also got other projects ahead of the E36 sedan. The only short term executable project will be to swap wheels. When I post a photo of the car, you'll know what I mean. The car also has a bunch of deferred maintenance that I need to fix.

I'm happy to show you the car once it arrives. I'd like to see your fleet as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vitaliy View Post
    To make matters more confusing, each insurance company set thresholds for when they determine the car to be a total loss. Similarly, each state sets thresholds for when they issue a salvage title. New York, as it states on the title, will only issue a salvage title when vehicle is damaged 75% or more of the value of the vehicle at the time of the accident.

My Cars
    E30 M3 & E36 M3/4/5
    Vehicle was picked up at sellers house in Bayside Queens on 30-JUN-15 and held at DAS shipping terminal in New Jersey. Today, 7-JUL-15, vehicle has left terminal and is en route to shipping terminal in Carson, CA.

My Cars
    M3/4/5
    Post pics when it arrives

My Cars
    E30 M3 & E36 M3/4/5
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5112339890.html

This car was just listed for sale 3 days ago. Car is a one owner, 120k miles with seller asking $17k. I emailed the seller to get more info, since no phone number was listed on the ad, but the seller has yet to contact me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hankdoll View Post
    Post pics when it arrives
    Ok. No problem.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    I emailed him too, but havent receive a response either.

My Cars
    E30 M3 & E36 M3/4/5
    The car arrived in Torrance, CA on Saturday, 11-JUL-15. I went on Sunday, 12-JUL-15 to pick up the car. Car was filthy and someone had left chewing gum on the trunk. Interior of car is full of sand. Car had a check engine light, low on coolant and the hood release handle snapped when I attempted to open the hood.

I went on Monday, 13-JUL-15 to AAA in Irvine, off Alton to pay registration, tax and titling fees. I also purchased insurance for the car. Registration will not be complete until the car pass a smog check and check engine light is removed.

I parked the car for the remainder of the week at my apartment complex and then drive the car up to LA, to my Dad's house to wash it and attempt to get the hood released. It has been raining on and off this weekend, so I haven't been able to wash the car. I did managed to use a pair of pliers and pull on the hood release cable from the cabin of the car to get the hood released. I then added coolant.

I still haven't got a scan tool connected to the car to gain some incite into the check engine light.

I will try to post photos soon, however I forgot how to link them to image hosting to make them viewable to a post.

Yes, the car is a little rough and I way over paid, but I'll make it work cause I see the potential and so far it's been the most appealing car I've seen in the last several months. As the saying goes "the money has already been spent"

- - - Updated - - -

Hankdoll, you've got a clean E36 sedan in your sig.

My Cars
    E30 M3 & E36 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by One21Two View Post
    I emailed him too, but havent receive a response either.
    I randomly discovered that a guy named Gary owns the car. Click on the link below and scroll down. You'll then see photos of his car.

http://bmw.iamgary.com/category/status/

My Cars
    97 Estoril M3/4/5
    Damn, I'm sorry to hear about the condition of that car. I'm sure you'll restore it to tip-top shape.

My Cars
    E30 M3 & E36 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by knickfan5745 View Post
    Damn, I'm sorry to hear about the condition of that car. I'm sure you'll restore it to tip-top shape.
    Thanks.

I knew what I was getting into when I bought the car, so as the saying goes, you make your bed, now you sleep in it.... It just so happens that my bed is on fire.

I still haven't posted photos of the car. I need to get on that. The computer in my apartment isn't working and my computer at work blocks the forum. I'll figure something out soon.

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratinoff View Post
    The car arrived in Torrance, CA on Saturday, 11-JUL-15. I went on Sunday, 12-JUL-15 to pick up the car. Car was filthy and someone had left chewing gum on the trunk. Interior of car is full of sand. Car had a check engine light, low on coolant and the hood release handle snapped when I attempted to open the hood.

I went on Monday, 13-JUL-15 to AAA in Irvine, off Alton to pay registration, tax and titling fees. I also purchased insurance for the car. Registration will not be complete until the car pass a smog check and check engine light is removed.

I parked the car for the remainder of the week at my apartment complex and then drive the car up to LA, to my Dad's house to wash it and attempt to get the hood released. It has been raining on and off this weekend, so I haven't been able to wash the car. I did managed to use a pair of pliers and pull on the hood release cable from the cabin of the car to get the hood released. I then added coolant.

I still haven't got a scan tool connected to the car to gain some incite into the check engine light.

I will try to post photos soon, however I forgot how to link them to image hosting to make them viewable to a post.

Yes, the car is a little rough and I way over paid, but I'll make it work cause I see the potential and so far it's been the most appealing car I've seen in the last several months. As the saying goes "the money has already been spent"

- - - Updated - - -

Hankdoll, you've got a clean E36 sedan in your sig.
    jesus.....
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    98M3/4/5 SpeedMiata
    With your healthy, realistic budget and 9-month search I cannot believe this is how it ended.
    Current:
    98 M3/4/5 Alpine/Magma
    05 MazdaSpeed Miata

Sold:

00 Honda VFR
    99 528iT M/T
    98 M3/4/5 Arctic/Dove
    94 R-package Miata
    89 Honda NT650

87 325is turned SpecE30

My Cars
    1995 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex36 View Post
    With your healthy, realistic budget and 9-month search I cannot believe this is how it ended.
    Exactly! Not sure what possessed to buy a $12k car unseen with a complete loss history. Bayside, Queens? You should have ask a forum member to at least look at it or better yet a PPI. The cars here on the east coast (especially NYC) are beat to shit.

Regardless, welcome to the club. You'll have a ton of fun building it back up and driving it.

My Cars
    '11 E90 328
    ^^ +1. Also NE cars see a lot of salt and end up rusty.

I followed this thread since I would have liked to find similar as well, but ended up settling for an alpine white sedan ~6 mos ago. Sorry to see what you went with is in the state it's in. Having the hood release snap under those circumstances would have given me a heart attack. I hope your coolant loss isn't something too bad. Keep the positive attitude.. time to make do with what you have, clean it up, and enjoy.
    '11 328i m-sport, 6spd - bmw performance intake + bmw performance exhaust

My Cars
    M3/4/5
    I've followed this thread too. Ratinoff, sorry to hear the car wasn't up to your expectations. Hopefully it won't ruin your overall enjoyment of the car since these are such great cars. There aren't a whole lot of issues money can't fix (and it's only money!). I'm in south OC too, hopefully I'll run into you some time.

My Cars
    E30 M3 & E36 M3/4/5
    The following are photos I took of the car on Saturday, 18-JUL-15:

Photo 1 below:

Photo 2 below:

Photo 3 below:

Photo 4 below:

The desktop in my apartment has been out of commission for several months, so I went to the Newport Beach Public Library to post these photos this evening, 114 days after they were photographed. I would have headed to the library sooner, but I didn't have time over the Summer since I was enrolled in an EMT-Basic course. Being employed full time and taking an EMT-Basic course offers little to no free time.

As of Monday, 9-NOV-15 vehicle remains unchanged from as shown.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ex36 View Post
    How should it have ended?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by humarahumara View Post
    Exactly! Not sure what possessed to buy a $12k car unseen with a complete loss history. Bayside, Queens? You should have ask a forum member to at least look at it or better yet a PPI. The cars here on the east coast (especially NYC) are beat to shit.
    Vehicle underwent pre-purchase inspection (PPI) by V&S Motor Service and Collision.

http://vsmotorservice.com/

Contact info for the shop is provided below:

V & S Motor Service, Inc.
    207-20 Northern Blvd.
    Bayside, NY 11361

(718) 229-6800

(718) 229-6801

I will post PPI results, when time permits. PPI omitted many issues the vehicle currently suffers from. I made two posts on bimmerforums, prior to the PPI, asking anyone local to Bayside Queens, NY if they could recommend a reputable shop to perform a PPI on an E36 M3. I received few responses. It seemed unlikely, given the lack of responses I received from forum members that anyone would go and look at the vehicle prior to my purchase.

Based on the accident history of the vehicle, as provided by Carfax and the PPI, I'm uncertain why it was proclaimed a Total Loss. Vehicle does not bare a Salvage Title from the State of New York.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by psu325i View Post
    ^^ +1. Also NE cars see a lot of salt and end up rusty.
    Vehicle is rust free.
    Last edited by Ratinoff; 11-09-2015 at 11:18 PM.

My Cars
    98 Accord, 73 Bronco
    Hey Ratinoff, I know you bought a car already but....

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...06418384&Log=0
    Brian

My Cars
    E30 M3 & E36 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by broncobuddha View Post
    Hey Ratinoff, I know you bought a car already but....

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...06418384&Log=0
    Autotrader ad depicts a car for sale for $30k. I would imagine that a collector will buy this car. I'm not a collector.

My Cars
    E30 M3 & E36 M3/4/5
    Photos posted in Post # 117 do not load, since they were posted from an album in Google Photos that was not made public. I will attempt to correct this or repost the photos when time permits.

My Cars
    E30 M3 & E36 M3/4/5
    In light of the fact that photos in Post # 117 do not load, I have loaded them again below. The following are photos I took of the car on Saturday, 18-JUL-15:

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Photo 4

As of Thursday, 28-APR-16 vehicle remains unchanged, with the exception of an oil change that I performed several weeks ago.

- - - Updated - - -

I still need to post the pre-purchase inspection results. I'll need to convert the PDF version of the inspection results to JPG format and then upload it to Google Photos or Google Drive.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345