Thread: Is it possible to get a 3 series bmw to haul a trailer?

My Cars
    none

Is it possible to get a 3 series bmw to haul a trailer?

I want a BMW, but I also want a dirt bike/jet ski/ATV etc

a buddy of mine told me that I'd need to buy an expensive reinforced something, besides a hitch. Is this true?

I doubt a sedan will be able to haul an ATV, but perhaps a dirt bike/compact standing jet ski??

- - - Updated - - -

Like besides the hitch, I was told I need to buy a reinforced fully boxed something ??

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    1995 M3 LTW
    It should be no problem, they do it all the time in Europe.

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    I am not sure which model 3 you have but as said, it is very common to tow behind sedans in Europe.

The issue with be how much tongue weight you want to put on the car, typically the trailer hitches for sedans are designed for very low tongue weights. For example the factory optional (euro only) trailer hitch for an e39 M5 is rated to to pull a hair under 4000lbs but the tongue weight rating is only 200lbs. So jet skis and ATVs shouldn't be too much of an issue, a big power boat would be though.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzaman09 View Post
    I am not sure which model 3 you have but as said, it is very common to tow behind sedans in Europe.

The issue with be how much tongue weight you want to put on the car, typically the trailer hitches for sedans are designed for very low tongue weights. For example the factory optional (euro only) trailer hitch for an e39 M5 is rated to to pull a hair under 4000lbs but the tongue weight rating is only 200lbs. So jet skis and ATVs shouldn't be too much of an issue, a big power boat would be though.
    If it does indeed have a 4000lb capacity it would usually have closer to a 400lb tongue weight but either way, it can tow a 3999 lb boat no problem depending on how the trailer is set up. On most trailers tongue weight is 10% of the total weight of the trailer. Trailers can be designed so that there is less tongue weight but generally 10% is safe and what is advised. It also has to do with how the trailer is loaded and where most the weight is...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!