Thread: Key Won't Turn In Ignition

My Cars
    2006 BMW X3

Key Won't Turn In Ignition

I bought a 2006 BMW X3 for my wife about eight weeks ago and on a few occasions when she puts the key in the ignition and tries to turn it to start the car the key won't turn. If she turns the steering wheel side to side while keeping pressure on the key it will break loose and the key will turn and start the car. My problem is that she is afraid that at some time this will happen and turning the wheel won't do the trick. I have talked to the BMW dealership and they are saying that this is normal and nothing is wrong its a anti theft feature. I know this steering wheel locking is a fairly new thing on cars but I have been driving for over fifty years and never have I put my key in the ignition and it not turn. The BMW people will look at the car for $140.00 and depending on what they may find, again they don't think anything is wrong, to replace anything dealing with the ignition lock could be well over $1000.00. I am just looking for any thoughts or comments from anybody on this forum that might be helpful. Thanks.

My Cars
    z3
    Sounds like the steering lock. If so, completely normal behavior. If the steering wheel is moved with the key out (such as bumping it while getting out of the car) the steering will lock and sometimes will require a little jiggling of the steering wheel to release.

If moving the steering wheel fixes the problem every time it happens, I would not worry about it.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    This is TYPICAL and I suppose normal if the wheels are cut hard. It is NOT a" security feature", please.
    Ask her to let go of the steering wheel before removing the key, it may help as does parking with the wheels straight.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue