Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: losing oil at a outstanding rate!

My Cars
    98 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by dohcdoh View Post
    Bro diagnose this oil disappearing thing for me. No I don't know of it's burning it and no I haven't looked for a leak. No you can't see the car either.
    lol
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold
    1998 M3 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 Built motor TiAg/Black - Sold
    2008 E61 19T Turbo-Wagon - current
    2011 E82 135i - S85 Swap - current
    1998 M3 Cosmos S54 swapped Sedan - current

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

My Cars
    E30 Supercharged
    Quote Originally Posted by runsideways2 View Post
    It's losing it not burning it here's a link with a picutre of the back of the car
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7qt...p=docslist_api

- - - Updated - - -

Engine compartment
    Its losing oil I tried looking for it only thing that showed leaks was the valve cover gasket the oil is not making it in to the combustion chambers oil is not coming out of my exhaust I can see my exhaust pipes they are completely covered in oil

- - - Updated - - -

All the way to the back of the car

My Cars
    98 m3
    If there isnt a puddle under your car or oil everywhere then its burning, do a compression leakdown and see what you getz
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

My Cars
    98 m3
    Your headers are covered in oil?
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold

My Cars
    E30 Supercharged
    Ok that's next when I have time to do one. I do puddle under the car actually on my skid plate

My Cars
    EuroS50B30,e83,Frontier
    Bro diagnose this oil disappearing thing for me. No I don't know of it's burning it and no I haven't looked for a leak. No you can't see the car either.
    Right!? lmao
    "There are bold drivers and there are old drivers, but there are no bold, old drivers."

My Cars
    M3TTst2Meth-K1300S-1100G
    did you check the rear main seal?
    if bad they can leak massive amounts and the oil will coat the under side and back of the car

this shouldn't cause smoke to come out of the exhaust . If that is happening you got bigger problems than that

My Cars
    E30 Supercharged
    I dread the rear main being bed lol it was replaced last year before I bought the car

My Cars
    '97 M3
    There are two different rear main seals, cheap spring type and new springless style OEM type. It took me two cheap ones to figure out why you want to use the expensive springless type.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    M3 w/Gt35r
    Quote Originally Posted by runsideways2 View Post
    I dread the rear main being bed lol it was replaced last year before I bought the car
    They could have installed it incorrectly though. Next step is to jack/lift the car up, remove the skid plate and locate any oil leaks. Then I would would do a leak down test to see the condition of the internals. It's essential.

If those 2 things check out then move onto the supercharger and CCV setup.

Funny thing is my friend is having a similar issue with his S5x which is also supercharged. I'll try to get ahold of him and report back.

My Cars
    95 M3, 03 E55, 07 335I
    This made my day lol
    Old set up: 520RWHP & 500RWTQ @ 20PSI 1/4 mile as of 7/26/15 12.5 @ 125MPH - 19PSI
    New set up: Steedspeed Twinscroll, Wiseco Pistons 8.8:1 CR, K1 Rods, Blueprinted and Balanced, ARP Main Studs, o-ring block, GTR 12mm head studs, GT35R with 86mm HTA billet compressor wheel (GT3586RHTA) TwinScrol 1.06 exhaust housing, Nick G custom tuning, 6 Speed Transmission, UUC Twin Disc Clutch, UUC EVO III, UUC DSSR 109mm, EVO 6 Speed Driveshaft, HFS-6 W/M injection, Zeitronix data logger, 3" SS full exhaust, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Race coilovers.

My Cars
    E30 Supercharged
    Quote Originally Posted by IR M5 View Post
    They could have installed it incorrectly though. Next step is to jack/lift the car up, remove the skid plate and locate any oil leaks. Then I would would do a leak down test to see the condition of the internals. It's essential.

If those 2 things check out then move onto the supercharger and CCV setup.

Funny thing is my friend is having a similar issue with his S5x which is also supercharged. I'll try to get ahold of him and report back.
    I hope it wasn't installed incorrectly I bought the car in New Jersey back in Nov of 2013 And drove it to los angeles. Previous owner showed me the receipts of when he had it installed I think it was VAC motor sports that did the rear main seal flywheel and clutch a couple of weeks before I purchased it. How long does a rear seal last then? I will try to get the car jack up tomorrow and drop the skid plate. If you have a e30 And you need a a really Good skid plate hik fab just thought I would throw that out there.
    CCV I have it breath into the atmosphere like I was recommended to do first from earlier in the thread. Would the bypass valve cause this problem if it's not working properly.

My Cars
    Twin turbo LS E36 M3
    Leak it down.
    328i Sedan Twin s366's, 6.0LS, TH400, MS3 Ultimate
    9.20 at 150 on 22psi

My Cars
    600cc of pure fury
    Leakdown might not diagnose a bad oil ring, it's better for checking combustion rings.

Pull all the plugs, label them as you do. Inspect them for signs of the engine burning oil. While you're there do a compression test just to get an idea of overall shape of the motor.

For leaking, Just get some degreaser, use a spray bottle to coat your engine in it give it a few minutes and hose it down. Once everything is nice and clean, go drive for a few minutes and crawl under there and look for leaks, if no leaks go repeat. You are looking for small signs of oil leaks. Keep in mind if you wait too long and too much oil leaks, it will travel around the engine making it more difficult to find the leak.

If that fails to find the leak, you can get UV dye and a black light but I never had to go there.

My Cars
    Estoril Mcoupe
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwperson View Post
    Leakdown might not diagnose a bad oil ring, it's better for checking combustion rings.

Pull all the plugs, label them as you do. Inspect them for signs of the engine burning oil. While you're there do a compression test just to get an idea of overall shape of the motor.

For leaking, Just get some degreaser, use a spray bottle to coat your engine in it give it a few minutes and hose it down. Once everything is nice and clean, go drive for a few minutes and crawl under there and look for leaks, if no leaks go repeat. You are looking for small signs of oil leaks. Keep in mind if you wait too long and too much oil leaks, it will travel around the engine making it more difficult to find the leak.

If that fails to find the leak, you can get UV dye and a black light but I never had to go there.
    What he said ^ The uv die and black light works great.

My Cars
    E30 Supercharged
    Quote Originally Posted by iRodD View Post
    What he said ^ The uv die and black light works great.
    I would first have to degrease the entire block to use the dye. Its a oil mess under there it looks like a heavily oil ��. But I think the dye is going to be a good idea I will use that if the compression test doesn't show me anything I'm tired of putting oil in my car. It takes two quarts to go about 20 -30 miles

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Finding the leak is suppose to be the easy part and if the engine is cleaned properly the 'leak at an outstanding rate' should be easy to spot right away.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    +1 for UV dye and black light. I got a cheap black light LED flashlight when I use it to find a really hard to spot coolant leak (pin hole leak on a hose that ran behind the engine). I would have never found it if I didn't have that UV dye in the system.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Also works on bed sheets and other furniture around the house

Sent from my GTX3582R

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    Also works on bed sheets and other furniture around the house

Sent from my GTX3582R

My Cars
    skateboard
    Ain't blow by a b#tch. System maybe pressurized.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    E30 Supercharged
    Well I think I got a fix on it my mechanic found the base of the dipstick gushing oil with that it was blowing oil all over the exhaust system and every where underneath the car. I took it out for a nice drive well pretty hard drive and no more James bond clouds of smoke behind me. The O ring was completely gone. A 5 dollar fix is going to save me 8 quarts of oil every other 4 days.

My Cars
    98 m3
    How was that getting on your exhaust?
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 DINAN S3
    so you're telling me it took a MONTH for you to figure out why you were loosing 8 quarts of oil every 4 days, which equates to.....what...like 58 quarts of oil?

You don't even get under the car? You would have seen the dipstick location leaking in about 13 seconds.
    Andrew:
    1995: Avus

///Supercharged 95 Club

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Hmmm, bought it or built it?

Sent from my GTX3582R

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast