Thread: E23 Help! Fuel smell! Fuel lines needed

My Cars
    Honda Civic

Exclamation E23 Help! Fuel smell! Fuel lines needed

I'm going in! I need your assistance. I need to change the fuel lines starting with the vapor line but have never done it before. Any links, pics, charts, diagrams, info, websites, threads, friends, family, any videos would be of great help. Part #'s, tools/supplies all I have is a floor jack, stands, wrenches, screwdrivers and the Bentley manual. I need to "see it" more. Where is the best place to get the hoses? Aftermarket or direct from the dealer? Dealer wants like $60 for two 1M hoses!!! NAPA wants $5/foot! Is aftermarket good enough? How many feet do I need? Is it hard to do? I got a lot of info from the Hit Man X but just wanted to cover all the bases. Never can have too much help I don't want to miss anything. Thanks!
    Last edited by shogun; 10-02-2014 at 11:51 PM. Reason: title changed

My Cars
    1986 735i, 2012 X5 35i
    I purchased my fuel hose from Summit Racing. Its the Goodyear Brand Fuel Injection Hose, P/N 65149. I believe its sold by 18in length hose.
    06/86 735i Delphin Metallic
    11/11 X5 35i ​Alpineweiss ii

My Cars
    1984 BMW 745i
    Quote Originally Posted by lassiterd View Post
    I'm going in! I need your assistance. I need to change the fuel lines starting with the vapor line but have never done it before. Any links, pics, charts, diagrams, info, websites, threads, friends, family, any videos would be of great help. Part #'s, tools/supplies all I have is a floor jack, stands, wrenches, screwdrivers and the Bentley manual. I need to "see it" more. Where is the best place to get the hoses? Aftermarket or direct from the dealer? Dealer wants like $60 for two 1M hoses!!! NAPA wants $5/foot! Is aftermarket good enough? How many feet do I need? Is it hard to do? I got a lot of info from the Hit Man X but just wanted to cover all the bases. Never can have too much help I don't want to miss anything. Thanks!
    All the info you need HITMANX would of given you
    1984 BMW 745i I always know when im boosting because i can feel the seat springs in my back

My Cars
    Honda Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by 1981320i View Post
    All the info you need HITMANX would of given you
    any pics or vids?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gunner50718 View Post
    I purchased my fuel hose from Summit Racing. Its the Goodyear Brand Fuel Injection Hose, P/N 65149. I believe its sold by 18in length hose.
    did you replace the vapor line?

- - - Updated - - -

any step by step instructions?

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    It does not necessarily have to be oem but should be metric and local stores usually don't have metric

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    '83 735i, '98 V70 Volvo
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw is your friend.

My Cars
    750i, 280ZXT
    Napa rubber is what I use on all my cars. Measure the ID of the fuel line you're taking off and purchase the closet match. Take each old fuel hose off one at a time, cut new to match the length with maybe a little extra, and install the new hose with new clamps. Simple.

My Cars
    Honda Civic
    I ordered the hoses from Pelican so I guess there's nothing left but to just do it already.............

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks!

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by 750i View Post
    Napa rubber is what I use on all my cars. Measure the ID of the fuel line you're taking off and purchase the closet match. Take each old fuel hose off one at a time, cut new to match the length with maybe a little extra, and install the new hose with new clamps. Simple.
    I assume napa only has sae or are u lucky and have metric? For some cars and some lines like vacuum and coolant i use sae approximate but 80's bimmers are known to have fuel leaks. I'm sure a mm or two in id isn't huge but i personally wouldn't risk it.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    Honda Civic
    NAPA only had 5/16th which I believe is about 7.9MM I didn't want to risk it either especially at $5/ft.....Not to mention the dealer wants $30+ for 1 hose. Better off with German made hoses from Pelican @ four hoses for basically the price of one at the dealer.....
    Last edited by lassiterd; 10-03-2014 at 11:52 AM.

My Cars
    750i, 280ZXT
    SAE Hoses are fine. I've never sweated it, and Have never had a problem. Check the new fuel pumps you guys buy; most of the fittings on the new pumps are 3/8" and 5/16"

I've never had a problem using SAE hoses on any metric car.

My Cars
    Honda Civic
    well I gave it a shot I guess i'm not mechanically inclined because I didn't see the hoses I saw some what appeared to be metal lines though. I'll give it another go tomorrow. Thanks for all your input.....

- - - Updated - - -

I probably shouldn't even tell this but I didn't even know where to put the jack stand after I jacked up the car.....Wow!

My Cars
    2000 M5, 2001 330i
    2000 BMW M5 Evolve Alpha-N Tune, Evolve Carbon Fiber CAI's, UUC Short Throw Shifter, Dinan Front STB, Dinan Rear Sway Bar
    2001 BMW 330i ​Dynavin N7 Pro

1985 BMW 745i 18" Style 37's, Team745i Chip, Getrag 265/6, Clutchmasters FX-300, UUC Short Throw Shifter, Strut Tower Bar, Bilstein HD's ("Build" Thread")(SOLD)
    1986 BMW 735i Getrag 265/6 Swap, Strut Tower Bar, Bilstein HD's, Euro F/R Conversion, 3.46 L/S Diff (Scrapped)

2016 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack Stock
    2004 Mercury Marauder
    Eaton M112, 3.4 Billetflow upper, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, 4.10's, Stainless Works LT's, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, FX-R projectors, Addco F/R swaybars
    2003 Mercury Marauder JLT CAI, SCT Xcal4, Stainless Works LT's, SW 2.5" Catback
    1996 Ford Bronco
    4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, MH1 projectors

My Cars
    Honda Civic
    Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Are the vapor lines under the driver side or passenger side?

- - - Updated - - -

It took me a while but I think I finally caught the hint.......................

My Cars
    Thanks! - - - Updated - - - Are the vapor lines under the driver side or passenger side? - - - Updated - - - It took me a while but I think I finally caught the hint.......................
    So what exactly are you doing? Are you trying to change all soft fuel lines? I forget not everyone has a 745i so if u have 735i and keepin it cheap then yeah you can make do with some auto store parts. I know lots of us have cleaned the fuel system, first off i'd drain the fuel, and check tgreads for better pics to see what to do. And use multiple jackstands in strong spots, be safe.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-

My Cars
    Honda Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by CMG View Post
    So what exactly are you doing? Are you trying to change all soft fuel lines? I forget not everyone has a 745i so if u have 735i and keepin it cheap then yeah you can make do with some auto store parts. I know lots of us have cleaned the fuel system, first off i'd drain the fuel, and check tgreads for better pics to see what to do. And use multiple jackstands in strong spots, be safe.
    The problem is I don't know what I'm trying to do ... haha. I think I smell fuel but only when driving so I Took a chance based on info from the forum and tried to change the vapor lines but either I do not know where to look or it's not what I think it is because I couldn't find it but what I did notice is that every hose and part I saw under there looked basically new and the fuel tank looks more or less brand new all the hoses under the hood look new. I have receipts from the previous owner showing several repairs made recently as recent as March 2014 including water pump drag link trans mount valve cover gasket tune up idle speed reg intake bellows cat conv etc.. not that that means anything but I say that to say basically the car is in good shape so I don't think it's any hoses but I could be wrong. So basically The gas gauge is moving around, gas fumes (unless somehow I'm confusing gas with exhaust fumes) because I'm getting some exhaust fumes also but not inside the car as well as some rough idling. As far as going cheap I have no choice but Pelican seems to be a good choice for quality parts. I can not take the car and pay some dickhead mechanic excessive amounts if I absolutely don't have to....Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Ok apparently there is a panel that covers the hoses I was unaware of.....sheesh! lol

My Cars
    I would take it to a shop for a pro opinion. I'm not sure of what ur smalling. The swinging gas needle is mpg and is irrelevant. Smelling exhaust outside the car is normal. If u really wanna do something then fill up car with gas, drive it home, then inspect all lines for leaks. Ur car could just be running rish u sure it's raw fuel?

95 BMW M3 Alpine-

My Cars
    Honda Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by CMG View Post
    I would take it to a shop for a pro opinion. I'm not sure of what ur smalling. The swinging gas needle is mpg and is irrelevant. Smelling exhaust outside the car is normal. If u really wanna do something then fill up car with gas, drive it home, then inspect all lines for leaks. Ur car could just be running rish u sure it's raw fuel?
    running rish?

- - - Updated - - -

oh running rich.........sorry

My Cars
    750i, 280ZXT
    I actually just solved a similar problem this morning. Saturday while doing the wheel bearings I could smell fuel coming wafting out of the engine bay. By Monday morning it was inside the car from the HVAC vents and I had a prolonged start. The soft hose from the fuel rail to the CSV was leaking. New clamps and a foot of 5/16" hose and all is well.

My theory is that it's the last fuel hose to be changed because it is out of sight and out of mind; much like the vacuum lines under the throttle body. Mine was certainly the original hose from 1986.

My Cars
    1986 735i, 2012 X5 35i
    Quote Originally Posted by 750i View Post
    I actually just solved a similar problem this morning. Saturday while doing the wheel bearings I could smell fuel coming wafting out of the engine bay. By Monday morning it was inside the car from the HVAC vents and I had a prolonged start. The soft hose from the fuel rail to the CSV was leaking. New clamps and a foot of 5/16" hose and all is well. My theory is that it's the last fuel hose to be changed because it is out of sight and out of mind; much like the vacuum lines under the throttle body. Mine was certainly the original hose from 1986.
    I replaced the same exact hose a few weeks ago. Mine was so old that it crumbled when I tried removing it.

My Cars
    Honda Civic
    This may sound crazy but I have not changed the hoses yet but something odd happened. I was using premium gas but the last 2 fill ups I used regular and now no gas smell. Does that make any sense to anybody?

My Cars
    1986 735i, 2012 X5 35i
    This may sound crazy but I have not changed the hoses yet but something odd happened. I was using premium gas but the last 2 fill ups I used regular and now no gas smell. Does that make any sense to anybody?
    You should not put off that fuel hose replacement unless you plan on being stranded somewhere/create a potential fire hazard. And our 735s are designed to use 87 octane, there is no need to use a different grade of fuel.

My Cars
    1986 735i, 2012 X5 35i
    Huge difference in hoses.. That old hose crumbled when I removed it. Don't put it off.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    Honda Civic
    I havent been driving it. havent had the time to replace. well at least not too far anyways

- - - Updated - - -

but the hoses look new every hose I saw looks new. the vapor lines are up above the driver side rear wheel well under a cover right?
    Last edited by lassiterd; 10-12-2014 at 04:34 PM.